HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:11 PM

To be fair, Dewberry's lot at 10th and midtown is technically developed - there is an operating restaurant, a recently closed cafe that is available for lease, and a club/bar that has been under construction for what seems like more than a year.
Many of the other Midtown Mile parking lots are the same - they have development. For example, the block southeasst of 8th is mostly parking, but it also has two operating restaurants, a cafe/bakery, and a bar.

Yes, these blocks need to be redeveloped eventually, but I would rather wait and have appropriate uses (like the 12th and Midtown development, Spire, Viewpoint, etc) instead of having some 1 to 3 story crap thrown up because that's all the economy can support right now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Does anyone know anything about Pittsburgh's "must develop" laws? I live in Midtown. It will never be anything with all the surface parking lots and empty lots.

If I hear how "wise" it is for "The Dew" to be cautious one more time...
Never be anything? Try going back 10 years and compare it to now...then go back 20 years and you really get a shock. Midtown has come a LONG way in the past 2 decades and IMO IS something currently!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:06 PM

Five Guys banner up at The Spire

Just going up as I rode by this morning, the banner announcing that Five Guys burger joint is going in the front of The Spire, in the old Viewpoint leasing office space.

I didn't see an ETA, but maybe we can call those few blocks Burger Row, now. If the Five Guys survives, they'll join the Vortex, and Hudson Grille & Taco Mac up another block (OK, I'm stretching there).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
I didn't see an ETA, but maybe we can call those few blocks Burger Row, now. If the Five Guys survives, they'll join the Vortex, and Hudson Grille & Taco Mac up another block (OK, I'm stretching there).
I still miss the Krystals hamburger joint at 7th/Peachtree (now the Starbucks). Always interesting people watching at that intersection back in the day!

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 6:31 PM

Developers Working Together on Midtown Mile

The Biz Chronicle reports that Jamestown, Dewberry, Selig Enteprise, Daniel Corp, and Loudermilk are all working together on a less high-end vision for a Midtown shopping district. The new plan features more local and regional retailers as well as national retailers similar to CB2.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 2:01 AM

Apple store dimming

If you've been to the GTech Barnes & Noble lately you've probably noticed construction. The convenience store is now upstairs and the first floor area is going to be an Apple store similar to Lenox Mall. It sure would have been nice to get this on Peachtree!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:21 PM

^ Are they just moving their campus computer store to the first floor?

I wouldn't call that an "Apple store".

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 12:36 PM

"Summer Stroll on the Midtown Mile" is this weekend (June 11 - 12).

Here's the full list of activities. Tons of stuff going on.

LIVE MUSIC -- ART -- ENTERTAINMENT -- SHOPPING (POP UPS & PROMOTIONS) -- FUN FOR KIDS -- STREET FOOD

Walk the Midtown Mile and enjoy live music, art, entertainment, kids’ activities, restaurant specials, street food, pop up shops and trunk shows along the way!

Here's what you'll find from the Woodruff Arts Center to the Fox Theatre:
Woodruff Arts Center:
- Visit the High Museum's Modern by Design Exhibition
- High Museum's Father’s Day Trunk Show - Stewart/Stand Accessories (Saturday; free with museum admission)
- Madame Butterfly performance by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (Saturday at 8 pm, Sunday at 3 pm)

Arts District Plaza (15th & Peachtree):
- Live music all weekend
- Serenbe Playhouse performances and "Ugly Duckling" face painting on Sunday (12 - 2 pm)
- Ice cream samples & demos by Spice Market

Colony Square:
- Bring the family to the Kids' Village with a bounce house, face painting, a magician and a juggler (12 - 4 pm)
- Browse the Arts & Crafts Shopping Bazaar featuring local artists and vendors (12 - 4 pm)

W Atlanta Midtown Hotel
- Join the Skirt! Magazine Creative Conference!
Visit www.skirt.com/creativeconference to register

TAP:
- Take a break with free chips & salsa when you check in on Facebook
(Mention to server in order to redeem offer)

12th & Midtown
- Everyone loves King of Pops! Pick up a hand crafted popsicle in front of CB2
- Get into shape with complimentary class passes from Exhale Spa at Loews Hotel
- Score RA Sushi coupons & free sushi rolls in front of 1010 Midtown
- Face painter!

10th & Peachtree
- Try Atlanta's favorite street food with two Atlanta Street Food Coalition food trucks.

999 Peachtree
- Shop at the "Mini" Midtown Market in the plaza on Saturday, 9 am - Noon
- Spend at the Pop Up Shops open one weekend only featuring:
Billie International, Junebug clothing for kids, Couturcycle, Natalie Grace Home, servedio designs (hand sewn jewelry), The Paperie at Sam Flax
- Get to know 999's temporary boutique, En Paris, and its great selection of gifts and unique treasures

DREWLEWIS:
- Shop for Dad at the Bar Denim Blues Trunk Show
- Complimentary signature cocktails
- Storewide sales!

BAKESHOP:
- Cool down with High Road Craft Ice Cream specials inside
- Purchase freshly baked BAKESHOP breads at Midtown Market at 999 Peachtree on Saturday morning

My! My! My!:
- Take advantage of the sidewalk sales

7th & Peachtree:
- Visit your favorite Atlanta Street Food Coalition food trucks!

860 Peachtree (Spire building):
- Enjoy sweet treats and snacks at Jake's Ice Cream & Irwin Street Market Pop Up Shop

Eyedeology:
- Stroll stylishly with new shades from Eyedeology -- new shipment of Alexander McQueen & RayBans

NV-U Boutique:
- Shop storewide sales & specials

Escorpion (Ricardo Ulio's NEW restaurant on 5th & Peachtree):
- Welcome Midtown's newest restaurant and savor
$2.50 tacos & $7 Margaritas from 11 - 7 on Saturday & 12 - 4 on Sunday

All Saints Episcopal Church:
- Docent led tour of the historic sanctuary with emphasis on the many Tiffany stained glass windows at 2 pm
- The Cathedral Choir of the Cathedral Church of the Advent in Birmingham, Alabama, will present a Pentecost concert at 7:30 pm.
- Tickets are $10 general admission and $5 student/senior, and will be available at the door.

Georgian Terrace / Livingston:
- Spoil yourself after a long day of shopping with a great meal and cocktails out on the gorgeous patio

Fox Theater:
- Bring the family to the Rango movie showing, Saturday at 2 pm
- Stay for the To Kill a Mockingbird movie showing, Saturday at 7:30 pm, with a wine tasting beginning at 5:30 pm

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:06 AM

Old Trolley Lines Exposed @ Peachtree & Ponce

The Midtown Alliance has been updating the intersection at Peachtree & Ponce with an eye to removing the northbound right-hand turn lane. While digging up the pavement, they've exposed the old trolley lines, which I captured in a snap here:

Of course they'll be hidden once again when the work is done, or even gone altogether, but it's still a nice little sliver of history.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:51 AM

Republic of Couture to open at 12th & Midtown

Quote:
The 12th & Midtown development in a press release Tuesday announced Republic of Couture (ROC) will open at the Midtown Atlanta landmark mixed-use development, a $2 billion project located at Peachtree and 12th Street.

ROC is scheduled to open spring 2013 and will be located at 1075 Peachtree (Phase 2 of 12th & Midtown) in a 6,500-square-foot flagship space on Peachtree Street, according to the release.

“ROC is unlike any other store in the Atlanta market and is the perfect tenant to kick off the fashion component at 12th & Midtown,” Shirley Gouffon, senior vice president of retail leasing for 12th & Midtown and Selig Enterprises, said in the release.
http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2012/1...-12th-midtown/

http://republicofcoutureboutique.com/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 10:19 PM

APPLE Store

I heard from a reliable source who works at Viewpoint that Apple Store has expressed interest in Viewpoint. I hope this is not a rumor and hope for the best!!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:26 PM

We've heard of interest in locating on Peachtree from popular retailers for years, including Apple. At this point, I'm a bit skeptical until there's something a bit more concrete than a rumor.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 6:47 PM

‘Potential game-changer’ for Midtown Mile retail

Quote:
The Loudermilk Cos. is planning to redevelop a block along the Midtown Mile — a move that could attract an urban grocery store.

It’s another attempt to create a more cohesive collection of stores along Peachtree Street, this time between Sixth and Seventh streets.

“It is going to change it dramatically,” said Robin Loudermilk, president of The Loudermilk Cos. LLC.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...r-midtown.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Isn't there a Publix a few blocks from here on 10th? It's pretty awesome if the area has grown to a point where it can support another one.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Isn't there a Publix a few blocks from here on 10th? It's pretty awesome if the area has grown to a point where it can support another one.
I kinda hope a grocery store doesn't go here but in the next 12th & Midtown project. On the Midtown development tour, phase 4 is to include 80,000 sf of retail which suggests that a grocery store is still planned for that site.

By the way, the article mentioned that Loudermilk is pursuing Fresh Market or Sprouts Farmers Market for a spot on 6th street. Apparently there is additional retail space behind that blank wall on 6th street next to the Sprint store.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Feb 23, 2013 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
I kinda hope a grocery store doesn't go here but in the next 12th & Midtown project. On the Midtown development tour, phase 4 is to include 80,000 sf of retail which suggests that a grocery store is still planned for that site.

By the way, the article mentioned that Loudermilk is pursuing Fresh Market or Sprouts Farmers Market for a spot on 6th street. Apparently there is additional retail space behind that blank wall on 6th street next to the Sprint store.
Why? 12th & Midtown already sort of "has it going on", this area of Midtown could really use the boost a grocery store would give.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
Why? 12th & Midtown already sort of "has it going on", this area of Midtown could really use the boost a grocery store would give.
Don't get me wrong. I'm very excited about the potential for this development to enliven the retail in this part of Midtown. I was just thinking of Midtown as a whole and feel that the 12th and Midtown location, a bit farther north of Publix, is a little better for another grocer but I would be thrilled if one were in either project.

I think Sprouts Farmers Market would be perfect and has reportedly been scouting for their first Atlanta store. The stores are typically the size of a Trader Joe's and offer organic products at great prices.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Feb 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:32 PM
She needs her space

I even heard Whole Foods has had their eye on Midtown, keeping relations with Midtown developers/land owners in the event the time is right to incorporate a new urban store somewhere in the area.

Midtown also needs more cheap eats. Something like Takorea, but everywhere. And coffee shops? There are 4 sporadic Starbucks, a Caribou, and of course ESS is known for its Batdorf & Bronson roasters coffee, but there aren't that many places to get coffee...especially on the weekends.

Hopefully the influx of new residents will be interested in keeping things in the neighborhood and will be coffee drinkers and ethnic food eaters, instead of Lenox Mall shoppers and fancy chain eatery patrons.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 6:50 PM

This is the rendering of the project in the Business Chronicle, courtesy of LAS architects. Regarding the retail space where Loudermilk is trying to attract a grocer, what were they thinking when they designed this project that way?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
This is the rendering of the project in the Business Chronicle, courtesy of LAS architects. Regarding the retail space where Loudermilk is trying to attract a grocer, what were they thinking when they designed this project that way?
This is Viewpoint correct? I wish I could see it in color, I still think it looks better than how it looks now though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta