HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
...this already in the city considered by many to be the sprawl capital of Atlantic Canada.
Saint John says hi.

I agree with everything you've said though, which is that the MHS location at RO is overall an unfortunate plan.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:42 PM
KnowMoncton

Really Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Perhaps Reid's is coming to the realization that the paper & magazine business in the year 2012 is not what it used to be...you know, online digital content, eReaders, tablets, laptops, a dying market with a dying clientele, etc.
You have a choice not to go to Reid's, thats fine, but frankly I find your statements more than a little unfounded. I pass Ried's a few times a day, and they are doing quite well. Always full. The print business may not be what it used to be, but Reid's is successful because of the variety, and the access to an inventory that is hard to find in this area, they have a strong niche clientele, and quite a few regulars. Secondly, as for parking, they have a better parking situation than most places on Main street. Right next to the Highfield lot, plus, parking Right on the street. Most places on Main don't get that kind of luck.

Not to mention, that they are not really in the effected congestion zone, which is both a boon, and a failing. One they have the perception of being out of reach for a few folks in downtown because they are not perceived to be in the 'core' (between Lutz and Botsford). Unless you really know they are there, as a visitor especially, they loose out on some perspective business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Probably another last ditch effort as well. Actually, I'm surprised this store has lasted this long. Again, their dying market and dying clientele, smoking bans all over the place, new generation of healthy living minded folks along with a dying socially accepted activity, may be too much for a smoke shop to bare. Good luck to ya.
I happen to know the owner of Keating's and He is a strong advocate for Downtown, but he is also not a fool. He knows the limitations of Main street, and wants what everyone wants downtown. Also, he is not dying for business. Quite alot of people rely on his shop for convenience items in the Downtown, not to mention Tobacco products. the Tobbaco and accessories business is not as 'dead' as you think it is. (Before you ask, No, I don't smoke) He has a strong and vibrant business, with a very loyal and varied clientele.

I don't deny there are some critical issues with Downtown. But just because someone publicly has a hairbrained idea, does not mean that everyone is willing to shoot themselves in the foot. These folks do not have successful and long standing businesses for no reason.

--

Sorry if this is considered off topic now, but I felt compelled to respond.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:06 PM

There are a couple of Roadway Systems trucks at the old NB Liquor building in the Riverview Mall parking lot this morning. Anybody heard anything?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeohara View Post
I happen to know the owner of Keating's and He is a strong advocate for Downtown, but he is also not a fool. He knows the limitations of Main street, and wants what everyone wants downtown. Also, he is not dying for business. Quite alot of people rely on his shop for convenience items in the Downtown, not to mention Tobacco products. the Tobbaco and accessories business is not as 'dead' as you think it is. (Before you ask, No, I don't smoke) He has a strong and vibrant business, with a very loyal and varied clientele.
Well, I probably shouldn't have picked on Keating's myself. I was trying to make a point and the image of an overweight smoker huffing and puffing while he staggered half a block to a smoke shop I found rather compelling.

The issue is that on street parking on Main Street is not going to solve the problem of maintaining a retail presence in the core. We need more people living downtown to do this. We have to make it more attractive to live downtown. The most obvious way to do this is with a major revitalization project anchored by a new downtown events centre. This should be the focus of the city; not fiddling around with a few new parking spots on Main Street.

Main Street needs to be two-way. It has to be easy for people to get into the core. If the perception is out there that the downtown is a bottleneck and congested then people will stay away. A one-way Main Street will only compound the core's basic problems.....

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:07 AM

I've recently heard from the ladies at McBuns on Mountain Rd that the old Royal Bank location is being renovated into a Subway. Apparently the one in the Northwest Centre is relocating to there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:33 AM

I went by DIRECT BUY today on Mountain rd. and she was closed, building for lease.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:57 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Welcome, MonctonFella!

Did the BMO at the Lounsbury's mall just close, or did it move somewhere?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:41 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
I went by DIRECT BUY today on Mountain rd. and she was closed, building for lease.
They were kicked out of that building by an inspector...water damage issues apparently...I guess they used to package pop or beer in there. DirectBuy is currently holding their stuff at a warehouse in Caledonia untill another location in town is found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Welcome, MonctonFella!

Did the BMO at the Lounsbury's mall just close, or did it move somewhere?
BMO moved to another slot in that same mall (near the middle)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:16 AM

Ahhh I see, well thats good then glad to see that they plan on staying there, we're not members there but who knows in the future when we become home owners again.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bouclair will be opening their new store at Wheeler Park on March 20th. The store will be 10,000 sq ft and will be their first store in NB. Since their focus is on home decor, this will be a good fit for existing stores at Wheeler Park such as Pier One, Home Sense and Bowring.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Moncton thread is approaching the end of the line with a total post count exceeding 10,000. This is when threads are usually retired.

There are several options:
- keep the current thread going until the mods notice.
- PM a mod to make a Moncton II thread and make it sticky

or think big and take the Moncton thread to the next level:

The people on the St. John's thread are thinking of creating a St. John's subsection. Since we are more active than St. John's, i wonder if we should do the same.

The options here are to:
- create a Moncton Subforum (like Edmonton)
- create a full fledged SSP Local (like Halifax)

I like the first option as it is less cumbersome and it would be easier to find the individual threads in the section.

I would envisage a number of threads in the subforum such as
- Downtown development
- Moncton Northwest thread
- Harrisville/Lewisville/Sunnybrae
- Riverview thread
- Dieppe thread
- Sackville thread
- Shediac thread
- Politics thread
- Retail thread
- Entertainment/Concerts/Sports

Anyway, I think we should discuss this. Please give me your feedback and I will pass the consensus on to the forum administrator.

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:26 PM

Not a Monctonian, but as a New Brunswicker, I think splitting Moncton to a subforum might be worth while, though I'm a little worried it might pull too much traffic from the main Atlantic Forum. I'm still new enough here I think that I'm not completely familiar with what is normal here, but I almost wonder if we should split up Atlantic Canada into the provinces. I mainly focus on what's going on in New Brunswick and follow those threads (Freddy, Moncton and Saint John primarily), so a provincial forum would match my own viewing habits.

Anyways, enough babbling. A Moncton forum would work and probably be worth it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:29 PM

I agree with MonctonRad...let's do it!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 5:51 PM

I agree as well with creating a sub forum. It will be much easier to search for area specific posts than the current set up where you must sift through many pages to find info on a past discussion. I think this is smart move for the Moncton thread.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:01 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of splitting things off, but I'll be the first to admit it's a real pain in the ass trying to find something in a 507-page long thread.

The only concern I have is whether it will stifle input from people outside of the city. I can't speak for the rest of you guys, but I personally seldom venture into SSP Halifax because it's hard to find things and keep track of what's new.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thats why I'm proposing a subforum rather than a full fledged SSP Local like Halifax has. If you want to see what a subforum looks like, check out the Edmonton one. It seems pretty simple to navigate.

I don't necessarily mind the current setup but at over 10,000 posts, the Moncton thread is at the end of the line and with St. John's thinking of taking the plunge, the timing for such a move on our part seems rather propitious.

I personally would still continue browsing the Atlantic Canada general forum, but I could see how it could stifle cross fertilization between the different cities. Hopefully this wouldn't happen though.

Maybe Saint John should think of a subforum too. Then all four CMA's in the Atlantic Region would be covered.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_boy View Post
i agree with monctonrad...let's do it!
+ 1

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Moncton thread is approaching the end of the line with a total post count exceeding 10,000. This is when threads are usually retired.

There are several options:
- keep the current thread going until the mods notice.
- PM a mod to make a Moncton II thread and make it sticky

or think big and take the Moncton thread to the next level:

The people on the St. John's thread are thinking of creating a St. John's subsection. Since we are more active than St. John's, i wonder if we should do the same.

The options here are to:
- create a Moncton Subforum (like Edmonton)
- create a full fledged SSP Local (like Halifax)

I like the first option as it is less cumbersome and it would be easier to find the individual threads in the section.

I would envisage a number of threads in the subforum such as
- Downtown development
- Moncton Northwest thread
- Harrisville/Lewisville/Sunnybrae
- Riverview thread
- Dieppe thread
- Sackville thread
- Shediac thread
- Politics thread
- Retail thread
- Entertainment/Concerts/Sports

Anyway, I think we should discuss this. Please give me your feedback and I will pass the consensus on to the forum administrator.

Thanks
I like the first option however maybe keep it a bit smaller when it comes to categories, all Greater moncton including Shediac however categories like:
Infrastructure: roads, bridges Transportation etc.
Buildings: Construction projects, Tearing down of buildings etc. Major Exterior changes. (Primary news is about the outside)
Businesses: Retail store changes, "store x" going into the mall. (Outside of the building not really changing much. (Primary news is about the inside)
Politics: political debates, etc...
Events: Entertainment, concerts, Sports etc.

Maybe even combining the buildings and businesses.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up Well......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonFella View Post
I've recently heard from the ladies at McBuns on Mountain Rd that the old Royal Bank location is being renovated into a Subway. Apparently the one in the Northwest Centre is relocating to there.
Monctonfella, what you mentioned was half true. It is true that the old RBC is going to be a new Subway but its NOT true about the Northwest Centre location moving. I know from close ties that the one at NWC has just been renovated and wouldnt make any sense moving with Target setting up shop, next door I might add, in the very near future.

I'm also hearing that there are 2-3 more Subway locations in the works in the Moncton area......

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Greetings Hubbub and welcome to the forum!

Do you have inside information that the NW Centre Target will be opening in the first wave?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces