HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Now that the planes have been purchased I guess we should hear about routes soon.

These are the same planes Porter uses, interesting!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Airport Surveys ---May 03, 2012

Toronto Worst ---in a recent poll by FlightNetowrk.com ranking airports, Pearson received the worst vote by 36.6% of participants - up from 27.6% in 2010 -while Montreal's Trudeau Airport (YUL) came in second at 17.7% and Edmonton International (YEG) placed third with 9.9%. "Passengers have many options when choosing an airline, but when it comes to airports, they generally don't have any choice," said Naman Budhdeo, CEO of FlightNetwork.com, in a statement. "We've seen most airlines working really hard to improve the customer experience over the past few years, but the goal of airports is simply to get people in and out." More than half (57.2%) of those polled cited Pearson's slow security as the number one criteria for selecting it as the worst Canadian airport. Other determining factors were bad service and lack of dining options. These findings come after Pearson was awarded a score of 5.6 out of 10 in 127 traveller reviews as part of the Skytrax World Airport Awards last month. In those reviews, passenger complaints about Toronto Pearson included poor signage to indicate services like immigration and Customs; a poor supply of taxis, limos and other ground vehicles; a lack of things to do once passengers have been cleared and are awaiting their flight; and a slow screening process due to a lack of security officers. Also unpopular among travelers was Los Angeles Intl. (LAX), which was voted the worst in the U.S. by 25.9% respondents. Chicago O'Hare (ORD) was a close second with 20% and New York's JFK came in third with 17.6%. Internationally, London Heathrow (LHR) was voted the worst (26%) followed by Paris's Charles de Gaule (CDG) (13.6%) and then Toronto Pearson at (13%). Some airports, however, came out more favourably. Vancouver International was deemed the best airport in Canada by 34.6% of participants. McCarren International in Las Vegas (LAS) came out on top in the U.S. with (20%) while Hong Kong International (HKG) received the top vote internationally at (13%).
From YYZNews.com

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:02 PM

Unfortunately, those results don't surprise me very much. I never look forward to coming or going from Pearson.

Other airports that I frequent like BKK, NRT, HKG, ICN, TSN etc., are easy to get to and, massive though they may be, are much more pleasant places to navigate / travel to and from.

And, this may be my imagination, but it always seem to take much longer to retrieve my luggage at YYZ. I'm not sure that's true though.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 6:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bearskin Airlines launches non-stop service to Hamilton from Kapuskasing, Ontario.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 6:53 PM

I just read this on twitter from the Airport! I find this very very odd.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:21 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 7:48 PM

This would make sense if this was daily. From Kapuskasing (YYU) you can connect to Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, Sault Ste Marie, Thunder Bay and 9 other small destinations in the north. I emailed a few days ago a friend at YHM to see what was planned as this has been in the system for a few days. I think they may be on holidays as I have not heard back from them. They are starting up with only 2 days’ notice to the public.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 6:46 PM

Wow that's more than $800 return, but it is a very small plane. Now if only Bearskin would offer service to Ottawa like from Waterloo.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 11:44 PM

From Bearskin's press release.

Quote:
Bearskin’s decision to commence Hamilton-Kapuskasing service is related in part to demand for a more direct service for workers commuting between Hamilton and the Lower Mattagami River Redevelopment Project north of Kapuskasing. It is expected that weekly service will also be convenient for business and leisure travelers.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 5:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like the Feds are finally announcing who will get the P3 funding request. Fingers crossed we hear something very soon.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Air Canada wants to set up a low cost carrier airline again. Wonder if they'll consider YHM. Doubt it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:50 AM

Carrier-related anecdote...

Flying with a cello is one traveller's nightmare (Paul Katz, Boston Globe, Aug 20, 2012)

In a state of panic and fearing catastrophe, I am writing this midflight as I travel from Calgary, Alberta, to Los Angeles on American Airlines.

I thought I did everything right: bought two seats, a ticket for myself and one for my Andrea Guarneri cello made in 1669. I checked in, got two boarding passes, and went to the boarding gate without problem. It all went smoothly — the cello and I were even pre-boarded — one of the easier of the literally thousands of flights we have taken together. Until . . .

As the cabin begins to fill, the flight crew informs me that this is a “code-share” flight, and that although I have an AA ticket, the plane is operated by WestJet, and my cello is not allowed. (Cellists beware: WestJet not only code-shares with American, but with carriers including Korean Air, Delta Air Lines, and Japan Airlines.) Of course, I object, at first pleasantly, eventually vociferously — to no avail.

In desperation, I try the overhead luggage bin. The cello is too big. “What about the coat closet?” I ask.

“Sorry, sir. This aircraft has no closet.”

I get testy, and the captain appears. I suggest strapping the cello into the (assigned and paid-for) seat and letting him inspect it for safety. But I am asking the impossible: The cello is not allowed, he informs me.

Check the cello in baggage or get off the plane. That’s my choice.

“Sweet,” I say. “If I get off, how will you get me there?"

“Please understand, sir, the cello will not be allowed on any other WestJet aircraft.”

“Will you put me on another airline?”

“That will be your own responsibility.”

My mind races: If  there is another carrier that flies its own planes to LA (and I know of no way to check), two one-way tickets bought at the gate would be más o menos [more or less] $2,000. And it’s late afternoon. Is there even another plane today?

“Hurry up, sir. We cannot delay departure.”

So I do the unthinkable — hand my love of 45 years to a baggage handler, a nice guy who promises he will rope it down so it will not bounce, and it will be delivered to me by hand in Los Angeles.

The violent takeoff on a bumpy runway and ensuing turbulence — beverage service has just been discontinued — make me realize I have made one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I am near nervous breakdown; my imagination is out of control. I see my cello in pieces, fingerboard off, cracks in the back and — worst of all — the bridge pushed through the top.

Turbulence now seems to be over, but I cannot calm myself. The flight attendant is now becoming concerned for me; she gives me a free sandwich, but it’s one of the only times in my life I can’t eat. She sees that I’m writing. I think I’ll show her this.

“It was made in 1669,” she reads. “No wonder you’re nervous. Could I ask what a cello costs?”

I whisper its value — at first she has little reaction, but it now looks like she is going to talk to the captain!

Time has now passed. It’s been a three-hour flight. We are landing.

I am holding my breath.

We are at the gate. I don’t know what they discussed, but the captain has just left the cockpit to go below and personally bring me the cello!

Something is wrong. Five. Ten. Fifteen minutes have passed. The other passengers have disembarked and I am alone on the jetway. They must be afraid to show me.

Writing this all down while waiting gives me something to do — I am furious. I will sue. I will blast this story all over the Internet. I will . . .

Here comes the captain with Miss Cello. I open the case, pluck the strings (still in tune). No cracks, all is intact.

I cry.

WestJet responds: Spokesman Robert Palmer forwarded to the Globe the following from the airline’s website:

“Musical instruments: Although seats may not be purchased for instruments, we will accept small instruments as part of the carry-on baggage allowance. Exceptions may be made for irregular-sized instruments. All instruments must be stowed in the overhead compartment, under the seat or in other approved locations. This is left to the discretion of the cabin crew and Customer Service Agent upon checking flight and baggage loads. Instruments may also be accepted in checked baggage when they are properly packed.”

Palmer added: “There is no rule banning cellos or any other specific musical instrument. However, they must be able to be stowed in the overhead bins. If they are too large or of an odd shape, they must go below the wing. You cannot buy a seat for a musical instrument because the seat and its restraint system are designed and rated for a person.”

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:42 PM

Hamilton Airport is re-branding itself. Here is their new logo. No more orange or HI logo's

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 9:57 AM

That looks pretty terrible actually. Yep, super bad. I always liked the orange HI thing.

Anyway, YHM's current failed state has little to do with its branding, I'd say.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Hamilton Airport is re-branding itself. Here is their new logo. No more orange or HI logo's
This will be the third logo since TradePort assumed operations in 1996. They will once again have to change the airport road signs that are throughout the city. The signs all have the fly-hi logo on them.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:10 AM
It's Hammer Time

New design for the website

http://flyhamilton.ca/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 12:59 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

bush league

new branding is bush league like the airport. Looks like a student contest winning design.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:25 PM

I honestly don't think it's that bad. I've certainly seen a lot worse...

Looking at the Route Map (http://flyhamilton.ca/passenger/flig...ons-route-map/), it's surprising how there's no service along the entire US East Coast. Anyone know why this is?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:05 PM

I don't mind it too much either the only suggestions I would have is that on the route map used colors that are a little more distinguishing when showing seasonal vs non seasonal etc.

Also when you go the airlines page all of those seasonal flights should show which days this operate if its not daily. and under westjet they have "Winnipeg MN" Well MN is Minnesota its should say "Winnipeg MB"

Outside of that I do think its an improvement overall!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 11:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Can't stand the photo of the front entrance. The yellow box with SALT written with a sharpie doesn't look professional.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure