HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Evolve in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapis4 View Post
Hum, I see. I am actually buying to live in it, I kinda believe I paid a little too much for this place but on the long run I should be ok (well I hope). I have a south west facing view on the 29th floor which should give me a good view but the its only 726sqrf. You are right that we have too many suites, just hoping people will respect their neighbors. If it doesnt loose its value, it will be a good way to build equity and upgrade in the near future.
Southwest view is the best view you can get for long term run in Ultra . When the other projects in the area go up your unit will be more thought after because of the unobstructed view.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Southwest view is the best view you can get for long term run in Ultra . When the other projects in the area go up your unit will be more thought after because of the unobstructed view.
Ultra South West View is pretty good but I will be living in Evolve and I do believe that some of my view will be obstructed by Ultra. haha, I wish Evolve was higher

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Ultra South West View is pretty good but I will be living in Evolve and I do believe that some of my view will be obstructed by Ultra. haha, I wish Evolve was higher
What floor plan did you get? How do you find Evolve?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee7903 View Post
What floor plan did you get? How do you find Evolve?
I went for the Plan B1 726 sq.ft facing south west, 29th floor.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Nice!!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Congratulations. Your southwest view will be looking at Ultra, but you should still have unimpeded eastern views (and northeast) for quite some time. I was looking at those units myself. True 2 bedrooms. Excellent price with the 2 year mortgage discount. Not many other places to get a 2 bedroom for less than $350,000. Evolve has a lot of the north east "J plan" with 2 bedrooms (one being a pseudo bedroom with a sliding door) plus den, but only one washroom. Most people want 2 bedroom with an on-suite and a mainfloor powder room, so your 2 bedroom with 2 actual bathrooms will have better resale value IMO.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Congrats I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 11:18 PM

PSA: Ultra does not comply with 2006 BC Building Code for seismic and wind loads

There's an unfortunate piece of news to share for owners and tenants of Ultra: Engineers and Geoscientists BC has identified Ultra (13325 102a Ave., Surrey, BC) as the building for which it reprimanded the responsible structural engineer for failing to comply with the BC Building Code with respect to seismic and wind loads.

Quote:
Disciplinary Notice: John Bryson, Vancouver, BC

Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia has concluded disciplinary action against John Bryson, a structural engineer whose design of a high-rise residential tower in Surrey, BC, failed to meet the building code.

Mr. Bryson admitted that he demonstrated unprofessional conduct and acted contrary to the association’s Code of Ethics. In a Consent Order, Mr. Bryson admitted that his structural design for the building, Ultra (13325 102a Ave., Surrey, BC), did not comply with the 2006 BC Building Code, to which he certified it had been designed, in particular with respect to seismic and wind loads.

[...]
https://www.egbc.ca/News/Articles/Di...n-Vancouver-BC

If you are an owner, contact a lawyer immediately. If you're a tenant, notify your insurance company, contact a lawyer, give notice and move.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 11:41 PM
retro_orange

Future slum alert. Now that the info is online it will never go away. Even if remedial work is done it will always have info on the report pop up in web searches when people research the building before they buy. I wonder if any other buildings he worked on will need to be inspected...

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 12:33 AM

Did the same engineer design the structural elements of Evolve?

Last edited by Cypherus; May 25, 2019 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
If you are an owner, contact a lawyer immediately. If you're a tenant, notify your insurance company, contact a lawyer, give notice and move.
Not being a bit dramatic are we? Firstly, don't even know what part of the code was not met and by how much. Secondly, the 2006 code and even the earlier code is still substantially better than any of the hundreds of buildings built from the 70s to 90s. You ever walk in any of the 5 storey buildings in North Van build during the 70s or 80s? They seriously feel like they are going to fall down with the slightest heavy wind.

Concrete high rises are concrete high rises, I wouldn't imagine in reality that Ultra is any less safe than the towers around Surrey Central built before or after. When I read the actual findings and the report itself, it seemed that the issue was more that this engineer broke the code itself and lied, than the problem with the building. I don't think there is a multi-residential development anywhere in Metro Vancouver that doesn't end up with some code violations. It comes down to how bad those code violations are and what the impact is on the structure if there is any.

*shrug*

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:29 PM

Some more news reports on this:

2nd engineer suspended over Surrey condo that failed to meet building code

Two engineers at the helm of a single engineering firm were suspended within months of each other for their work on a condo tower in Surrey, B.C. that later failed to meet building code, CBC News has learned.

John Bryson and John Zickmantel once ran their Vancouver-based firm together. They were both banned from working as engineers in B.C. — Bryson permanently, Zickmantel for a month — after a years-long investigation found a 40-storey tower they each worked on, called the Ultra, is not up to code

The suspension of two engineers over flawed designs for a highrise, now with hundreds of people living inside, has prompted the City of Surrey to review whether there are safety concerns with the building. ..
Engineers and Geoscientists B.C. (EGBC), the provincial regulator for engineers, launched an investigation into Bryson's work after someone filed a complaint about it in 2014.

Investigators hired two engineers from a separate firm to look at the building. Those engineers found the core walls and headers in the building "appear deficient," particularly in regards to wind and seismic design, according to court documents related to the regulator's investigation.

A consent order detailing the case said investigators found Bryson used the wrong, national building code instead of the code B.C. had in place to design certain parts of the building...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...code-1.5154712

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Some more news reports on this:

2nd engineer suspended over Surrey condo that failed to meet building code

Two engineers at the helm of a single engineering firm were suspended within months of each other for their work on a condo tower in Surrey, B.C. that later failed to meet building code, CBC News has learned.

John Bryson and John Zickmantel once ran their Vancouver-based firm together. They were both banned from working as engineers in B.C. — Bryson permanently, Zickmantel for a month — after a years-long investigation found a 40-storey tower they each worked on, called the Ultra, is not up to code

The suspension of two engineers over flawed designs for a highrise, now with hundreds of people living inside, has prompted the City of Surrey to review whether there are safety concerns with the building. ..
Engineers and Geoscientists B.C. (EGBC), the provincial regulator for engineers, launched an investigation into Bryson's work after someone filed a complaint about it in 2014.

Investigators hired two engineers from a separate firm to look at the building. Those engineers found the core walls and headers in the building "appear deficient," particularly in regards to wind and seismic design, according to court documents related to the regulator's investigation.

A consent order detailing the case said investigators found Bryson used the wrong, national building code instead of the code B.C. had in place to design certain parts of the building...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...code-1.5154712
It is a bit of an alarmist story, as the building was still designed to meet National Codes (i.e. even Toronto condos) and borrowed elements of the 2010 BC code, so it is not falling down anytime soon. It even had no problem holding up against the Dec 29, 2015 4.8 magnitude earthquake without any structural concerns.

The reality of the situation is that shoring work will be done on Ultra in the areas of deficiency. Engineering review still taking place but comments by other engineers indicate some patch work and shoring needed on floor number 2. Likely the developer will be fronting the costs as the building is under its 5 year warranty review. In a couple years people will forget about it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:36 AM

Yeah they make it sound like the building is in danger. I mean if all they did was use old building codes wouldn't it be at the same risk as all the other things built to the older standard

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Not being a bit dramatic are we? Firstly, don't even know what part of the code was not met and by how much. Secondly, the 2006 code and even the earlier code is still substantially better than any of the hundreds of buildings built from the 70s to 90s. You ever walk in any of the 5 storey buildings in North Van build during the 70s or 80s? They seriously feel like they are going to fall down with the slightest heavy wind.

Concrete high rises are concrete high rises, I wouldn't imagine in reality that Ultra is any less safe than the towers around Surrey Central built before or after. When I read the actual findings and the report itself, it seemed that the issue was more that this engineer broke the code itself and lied, than the problem with the building. I don't think there is a multi-residential development anywhere in Metro Vancouver that doesn't end up with some code violations. It comes down to how bad those code violations are and what the impact is on the structure if there is any.

*shrug*
An update from CBC on this story today:

Homeowners sue after finding out their condo tower wasn't built to code
-Owners claim developer should have caught engineer's mistake before building was completed
Rhianna Schmunk · CBC News · Posted: Dec 13, 2021

More than two years after finding out their building wasn't built to code, dozens of condo owners in Surrey, B.C., are suing the developer and contractors behind the project.

Homeowners with units in the building filed a lengthy lawsuit this year against the developer, contractor, construction manager, architect and engineers — just about everyone who had a hand in the tower's creation — claiming their homes have lost value.

"The construction deficiencies and dangerous defects have resulted in continuous property damage and loss to the [strata]," the claim said.

The lawsuit is the latest development in more than seven years of investigations and disputes over the tower — which, according to the lawsuit, was supposed to be a "state-of-the-art" home for hundreds of families when it was completed in 2013. ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2021-1.6281263

Note: I didn't see a thread for Ultra but if it fits better somewhere else mods [please move.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 11:57 PM

This thread probably makes sense for an update like that. We'll see how things go. It is still a claim and allegations so I don't think we've learned anything new really until it goes to court and the facts are judged on.

Definitely be interested to see what happens. I feel for the owners for sure, even if it turns out they aren't at any more risk overall being lied to is not ok.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 8:46 AM

Am I insane or am I insane for wanting to buy here?

I'm reading the minutes right now. Haven't made up my mind, but seriously considering it. The board is suing the developers. And they're getting an engineer to come and do additional inspections for 185k.

In this market, the value proposition is high. The question is whether the stink will wash off in the next 5-10 years. hm....

Ideally I want to sell in 8-10 years. I guess as long as it keeps its value that's all that matters for me. Will it? I can't decide.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
Am I insane or am I insane for wanting to buy here?

I'm reading the minutes right now. Haven't made up my mind, but seriously considering it. The board is suing the developers. And they're getting an engineer to come and do additional inspections for 185k.

In this market, the value proposition is high. The question is whether the stink will wash off in the next 5-10 years. hm....

Ideally I want to sell in 8-10 years. I guess as long as it keeps its value that's all that matters for me. Will it? I can't decide.
In all honesty, Ultra pricing is about 20% less than surrounding towers due to the issue with the building not utilizing the more stringent BC code for seismic loading. This sounds concerning. However, engineers in 2019 did conclude, after a thorough analysis, the tower was safe for occupancy and there were no issues in its current state with seismic and wind load bearing. They just cannot guarantee how the tower will perform in a major earthquake. This is where the new engineering team will use performance modelling to see if any work is actually needed to shore up the building so it can respond accordingly to a major seismic event.

In the meantime, litigation is commencing against the developers, City of Surrey, and any contractor who touched the building, for potential settlement in the future for loss value and to recoup engineering costs to study the building. Buying now would mean you obtain a unit at a cheaper price with the potential of a large settlement in the future. If you do not plan to sell the unit in 10 years, and just rent it out, you really cannot go wrong here.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 9:43 PM

One question is whether there would be a special assessment to do engineering reports, repairs and support the lawsuit. ie whether repairs or other costs would be required before cash comes in from the settlement/judgement of any lawsuits.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 1:54 AM
victory in near

Why would they file a lawsuit before this new engineering report? Seems like a lot of costs are still unknown or even necessary

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley