HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

7 Bryant Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
This building is about as under construction as a building can be without having facade glass getting tacked onto it. Should it really still be over here in proposals?
They're doing excavation work as far as I can tell. Any photos of any actual construction, and we'll move it there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 6:23 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 6:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...TvuVVxP0hfzRTN

Tower rent may hit the roof

Office users at 7 Bryant Park will be able to get away from it all — with worldclass views — when the penthouse park is finished.

By STEVE CUOZZO
March 19, 2013

Quote:
What’s likely to be the city’s most dramatic outdoor terrace on an office building might help command the highest rent ever paid for a commercial penthouse: the triplex apex of 7 Bryant Park, the 28-story tower that broke ground last week.

Global development giant Hines has its eye on an “aspirational” $200 per square foot for the 42,285 square-foot digs on floors 26-28. It also comes with a nearly 850 square-foot alfresco roof terrace “that has Bryant Park for its backyard,” said Hines senior managing director Tommy Craig.

Craig, who’s been with Houston-based Hines since 1982, until recently never saw much interest in outdoor space at a new office tower, either on the part of the developer or tenants. But, “We saw how valuable it was with our residential work,” Craig said. Hines has apartment projects around the world including spectacular 56 Leonard St. downtown, which it’s co-developing with Izak Senbahar’s Alexico Group.

That realization, combined with office users’ swelling demand for more of what he calls “common and interactive-encounter space,” inspired the marquee feature of the 457,000 square foot “boutique” office tower rising on the west blockfront of Sixth Avenue between 39th and 40th streets.

Architect Henry Cobb’s design is distinguished by a top-to-bottom concave notch in the curtain wall at the 40th Street corner facing the park. At the top of the notch will be what CBRE’s Mary Ann Tighe, the chief leasing agent, calls the “first purpose-built outdoor space in an office building in Midtown.”

The open-to-the-sky deck can be equipped with a fireplace and will have a glass shield to block wind. It will be for use only by the tenant that takes the penthouse triplex, which boasts a double-height ceiling on the 28th floor. The whole four-level magilla will have a private elevator and a staircase connecting the top floor with the roof deck. There will be smaller terraces as well on 7 Bryant Park’s 10th and 15th floors, but the penthouse is more integral to the tower’s mystique.

Hines and its partners, Pacolet Milliken Enterprises and JP Morgan Investment Management, are taking a modest gamble on 7 Bryant Park, which aspires to LEED-Gold certification but has pre-leased none of its not inconsiderable space. (“Only in New York do you say you’re doing a nearly half-million square-foot building that’s ‘boutique,’ ” Craig chuckled.)

http://7bryantpark.com/

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 8:52 PM

Taken 4-16-2013 by me. Sorry for the poor quality.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
Astorian

Thanks for the picture Alex! This is one of my favorites U/C right now. It's simple but sooo modern. Definitely a place I'd want to work in.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 10:19 PM

I understand people who don't care for this building, or think it's plain -- it is, as some have stated, a box with a slice cut out of it -- but I've sort of fallen in love with it, and the videos above have affirmed for me that the developer and architect have been extremely thoughtful. I think it's going to be an understated gem.

Also, and this doesn't seem to be part of the design, but it seems to me that there's an opportunity to light the top-and-right-hand edges of the inverted cone to make a giant "7" out of it -- the same shape used in the logo:

7bryantpark.com

Maybe that'd be gaudy in real life... but it could be the coolest address number in the world.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
Taken 4-16-2013 by me. Sorry for the poor quality.
Thanks for the photo! Almost looks like I see rebar down there... for footings perhaps?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.globest.com/news/12_590/n...rk-332517.html

Hines Tells The Story of 7 Bryant Park

By Rayna Katz
April 24, 2013

Quote:
Serving up a reminder that new office inventory will soon come on the market, Hines officials on Tuesday presented the story of the company’s 7 Bryant Park to members of the local NAIOP chapter during a meeting in Midtown. As previously reported, the property is spec development and slated to open next year.

Calling the building “one of the projects that gets people inspired," Tommy Craig, senior managing director and head of Hines’ New York office noted that the structure includes 65,000 square feet of unutilized FAR from the adjacent building. That was purchased by Pacolet Milliken, a limited partner on the deal and a ground lessor. Hines’ equity partner on the 474,000-square-foot project are institutional investors advised by J.P. Morgan Asset Management.

Although plans for the building started at the height of the recession, Craig noted, the project has featured a sense of urgency since the beginning. “When plans started on April 1, 2009, there wasn’t a sign of growth,” he said, “but our client said that when the market turned, they wanted to be ready.”

“The Milliken family chose to sign a ground lease,” he continued, “and the payment structure doesn’t involve an appraisal of the land value at any point,” Craig said. The financing is all-equity. Hines was able to get the project going with spec financing, he noted. “We had four sources, which validated the decision to go forward on a spec basis.”

The company also was ready to do so because of timing and, of course, location, added Dan Doty, managing director. “Given where we were in the construction cycle, it was an ideal time to lock in construction costs,” he said. The firm wanted a Guaranteed Maximum Price contract, Doty noted. “Plus with the core nature of the asset,” he added, “being right by the park and with great views, we thought we could get premium rents.” Asking rent for the building—which does not yet have any tenant—is over $100 a foot, and $200 for the penthouse space.

The building’s layout would enable Hines to offer high-density floors that would allow for 100 rentable square feet per employee, Craig noted. Also of note, 7 Bryant Park features a column-free interior with the opportunity for raised floors, enabling the building to accommodate changes in floor layouts and tenant workforces, he said. A total of about 18,000 square feet is also available for retail on the ground floor and lower level, noted director Sarah Hawkins. Hines envisions having one large tenant—most likely a restaurant—for the bulk of the space, with a second area going possibly to a small café or even an office tenant with a private entrance.

While Craig admitted that “we feel pressure every day to lease those 28 floors,” he seems confident that the building’s virtues speak for themselves. “We’re representing tenants who need 150,000 to 200,000 square feet, which is an underserved market.” Such companies might get swallowed up by a larger building but they could shine at 7 Bryant Park, he noted, even having access to microtile walls at the building’s entrance that could be used for branding.

He added, “long-term, investors and users will pay for a more usable workplace. A successful tenant at 7 Bryant Park will be a first-generation tenant who wants to stay somewhere long-term and who wants to be in a location where employees will like to work, not just today but for the next 20 to 40 years.”

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 2:35 PM

Latest update! Foundation almost done, it seems.

7 Bryant Park May 2013 Construction Update

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 12:44 AM

It seems some people think this lot deserves something "more". I like it. Love how the building comes together at an angle near the bottom, and a curve near the top. The interior looks fantastic as well. It certainly would help to make office work more bearable.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

( May 16, 2013 )

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:36 AM

7 Bryant Park - 7-27-2013. The Crane, the Crane!!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:29 AM

Ready to soar.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:48 PM

Thanks for the updates BrooklynFlyGuy! I was wondering when a crane was going to show up since foundations were poured in May.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 11:32 PM

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 5:33 PM

Thanks for the update ILNY. Wow that was fast the core is already at grade.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:24 PM

This building is really cool. I love to see architects who take a different approach to glass boxes. I think the cutout will look great from the park.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 5:33 PM

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:45 PM

Core looks to be about 8, maybe 10 stories up and I can finally see it from my desk across the park. Work is really flying along here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive