HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Tokyo Sky Tree in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Tokyo Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 4:26 AM

I checked it out cuz I thought it was freaky too...but it looks like there's a center platform @ Narihirabashi that extends over the road.

Check it here

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 10:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ haha yeah i was hoping there was

thx for solving the mystery!

i wasnt too worried about that particular train tho because i do recall that section was the rear as it had already gone past her -- anyway, whew!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 12:59 AM

The cladding on the lower observation deck seems completely finished. It looks like they have also started erecting the final antenna structure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23576918@N06/5322574517/

The Tree's adjoining office building is also coming along.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13681340@N02/5317057624/

Last edited by torsodog; Jan 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM. Reason: added one more update pic

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:31 PM

The office building is very unimaginative. Aesthetically, it is in no way related to the Sky Tree.
I wonder if the office building is only there to make the project financially feasible.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:37 PM

Why should it be aesthetically related to the Sky Tree?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Why should it be aesthetically related to the Sky Tree?
No reason.
That would have been nice. They would have formed an integrated complex.
Now, the office building looks misplaced, far from the business centers in Tokyo.

The story is different if that tower is supposed to be the first of group.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 4:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i agree, when i first saw the office building i was bit skeptical, but i think it's just ok. i mean, i really don't see how they could make it connect with skytree's design, unless they use materials/design elements from the tower, which imo, would look bad in an office tower (especially the facade).

the office towers cantilever's quite a bit if i'm not mistaken. pretty 'daring' for a japanese building (not actually, but it's a nice focal point).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 10:42 PM
Imster

It looks nice - but it is NO CANTON Tower! It will really stand out in Japan - the buildings look so clustered - Earth quake proof Skyscrapers are the way forward - Japan needs to free up more land

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 9:39 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
looking great

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 5:01 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Haven't had any photo updates in a month... Does anyone have any recent shots of the progress to post? Please?

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 2:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Owners say Tokyo broadcast tower outgrows rival in China, becomes world's tallest

By: Mari Yamaguchi, The Associated Press

Posted: 03/1/2011 4:06 AM

TOKYO - A transmission tower under construction in Tokyo has become the world's tallest freestanding broadcast structure, the owners said Tuesday.

The Tokyo Sky Tree project surpassed another tower in China by reaching 1,971 feet (601 metres), the company said.

When complete later this year, the tower it will stand 2,080 feet (634 metres), Tobu Tower Sky Tree Co. spokesman Hirotake Takanashi said. It will replace a 1,090-foot tower built in 1958.

"It's nice to be the world's No. 1, but it's just a passing mark," Takanashi said. "We must buckle down ourselves until we complete the tower."

He said construction of the remaining 30 metres is a critical phase that involves installation of a digital antenna.

Japan's six top broadcasters are building the tower. It is expected to bolster television and radio transmissions in the capital region. It will also house shops, restaurants and other entertainment and is expected to become a new tourist destination in Tokyo.

Designed by award-winning Japanese architect Tadao Ando and sculptor Kiichi Sumikawa, the tower stands on a triangular foundation. Its slender body turns into a cylinder as it stretches upward, with its bluish silver colour blending into the sky.

The Canton Tower in China's southwestern city of Guangzhou claimed the previous tallest-broadcaster record at 1,968 feet (600 metres).

The old Tokyo Tower remains one of the city's most visible landmarks and is visited by about 3 million tourists each year, even though it now competes with a plethora of other skyscrapers.

The new tower will stand in Tokyo's Sumida district, a riverside area known for old downtown Tokyo ambiance.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 4:09 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Haven't had any photo updates in a month... Does anyone have any recent shots of the progress to post? Please?
the sky tree thread at ssc is constantly updated. for a sh-tload of photos: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=346504

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 9:57 AM

the Godzilla of all trans tower. awsome just freaking awsome. and did i mention huge. its just wonderfull. you know what who cares if its not the sweetest looking tower. it is IMO to coolest of all trans towers. move over CN tower, theres a new king, or i mean Godzilla. mawhahahahahaha

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 9:29 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
the Godzilla of all trans tower. awsome just freaking awsome. and did i mention huge. its just wonderfull. you know what who cares if its not the sweetest looking tower. it is IMO to coolest of all trans towers. move over CN tower, theres a new king, or i mean Godzilla. mawhahahahahaha
A little plump, IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 1:08 AM

This tower's coming along nicely. Looks like it'll also be taller than the Shanghai Tower.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 5:58 AM

Does anyone know how the tower fared during the quake? It's remarkable that we can build 2,000'+ buildings that can withstand quakes. Definitely major props to the architects of this tower/the Japanese building codes in general!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 7:06 AM

Fine, all buildings in Tokyo just swayed a little. For like an hour.

Video Link

I wouldn't really want to be *in* that building, but no major structural damage reported so far in Tokyo

Here is video of TST swaying during the earthquake, it swayed quite a bit but it is designed to withstand larger than was felt in Tokyo.

Skip ahead to 3 minutes for the action
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 8:35 AM

Good thing the 8.9 was 230 miles from Tokyo and not 30!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 7:12 PM

It would surely be disastrous but we are lucky that the infrastructure in Tokyo has been designed with a major earthquake in mind, as "the big one" has and will always be a major threat.

Many older buildings would likely be destructed, but I would think most modern skyscrapers would be fine.

However, no matter how prepared, and Japan is very prepared, you can never be prepared for something like a tsunami hitting within 10 minutes.

Tsunami has always been more worrisome than an earthquake, for obvious reasons now.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Fine, all buildings in Tokyo just swayed a little. For like an hour.

Video Link

I wouldn't really want to be *in* that building, but no major structural damage reported so far in Tokyo

Here is video of TST swaying during the earthquake, it swayed quite a bit but it is designed to withstand larger than was felt in Tokyo.

Skip ahead to 3 minutes for the action
Video Link
In the TST you can see it's more than swaying, the whole frame is flexing. Those towers in the other video are doing the same thing, with no popped glass. I understand the basic engineering concepts, but it's mind-blowing to see it put to the test.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture