HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

London Millennium Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • London Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
London Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 4:33 AM
Not my real name

Torre Bicentenario - Proposal for New Tallest in Mexico City - 300m

Here's a proposal for a new tower in Mexico City to be completed by 2010 for the Mexico's bicentennial. I think it looks gorgeous.

From Yanko Design http://www.yankodesign.com/index.php...latin-america/

Quote:
Group Danhos has commissioned the Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) to design Torre Bicentenario in the centre of Mexico City which will become the tallest building in Latin America. Completion is scheduled for 2010 to coincide with the 200th anniversary of Mexico’s Independence.The building will accommodate over 160,000 sqft of office space, a convention centre, site museum, gym, as well as retail and restaurants. The 300 meter tall building will be located at the intersection of Reforma and Anillo Perife Rico, in the northeast corner of Mexico City’s Chapultepec Park, home to the Presidential residence.

Looking like 2 inverted pyramids bridged by a lobby where shuttles and elevators pass thru, it boasts a viewing deck over the park and the city. Two voids penetrate the building at its widest point providing ventilation and natural light. Whilst traditional high-rises tend to internalize this feature with an atrium, the Torre Bicentenario projects it onto the facade cutting into the building. A pattern of reflective glass panels covering 50% of the interior surface maximizes light penetration. The void twists at its midpoint, opening at the bottom toward the park and at the top toward the city, connecting the building to its surroundings.

Architect: OMA
From OMA http://www.oma.eu/index.php?option=c...=497&Itemid=10

Quote:
As Mexico approaches the 200th anniversary of its independence, it is emerging as an increasingly important urban center both in Latin America and the world at large. In an architectural age defined by the pursuit of expression at all costs, the Torre Bicentenario is building whose unique form is responsive rather than frivolous. A building whose form facilitates rather than complicates its use. An icon that offers Mexico City and the nation a symbol of the coming bicentennial (the tallest building in Latin America), but also an important new element within the city’s urban life.

In 1810, Mexico gained its independence from Spain. 100 years later the Mexican Revolution began Mexico’s political modernity. A century later Mexico and its capital stand at the brink of another quantum leap: a nation at home in a globalized world, in which economic prosperity and a new cultural flourishing promise to transform the nation and its capital.

High Rise
Compared with the world’s other economically ascendant regions such as Asia and the Middle
East, Latin America has a skyscraper deficit. Poised to harness the economic and symbolic potential of the Bicentennial, Mexico City will celebrate a historic moment with the emergence of a new skyscraper: Torre Bicentenario.

High Rise Axis
A chain of high-rises runs along the Reforma and continues around the city’s largest urban park: Chapultepec. The Torre Bicentenario will extend this line of buildings around the park, creating a new icon for the city.
The site of the Torre Bicentenario lies at the northeast corner of Chapultepec Park, adjacent to the interchange of two major highways. Located at the edge the park, major infrastructure and the city, the project has the potential to benefit all three.

Torre Bicentenario will provide much needed class AAA office space for Mexico City, together with public amenities – a sky lobby, convention center, shops and restaurants – for the surrounding communities and visitors to Chapultepec Park.

Icon
The stacking of two pyramidal forms produces a building simultaneously familiar and unexpected, historic yet visionary.

Form and Function
The form of the Torre Bicentenario creates a dynamic relationship between the building and its surroundings. Public programs are located where the two pyramids meet.

Context
The junction of the two pyramids occurs at 100m, the datum of the buildings that surround it, creating a dramatic new gateway to the park. The building bulges toward the park and the historic city center along the axis of the Reforma.

While two sides stretch in the direction of the park, towards Los Lomas, the building is respectful and sober.

Atrium
Skyscrapers tend to internalize their features. Atriums typically create dramatic spaces within, hidden from the city around them. Here, a void cuts through the building’s widest point, providing access to light and natural ventilation and creating a relationship between the floors within.

A pattern of reflective glass panels covering 50% of the interior surface maximizes light penetration. The void twists at its midpoint, opening at the bottom toward the park and at the top toward the city. Rather than exacerbating the skyscraper’s isolation, it connects the building to its surroundings.

Façade
The façade is a structural curtain wall system. The thin members follow the building’s form creating a screen of cables that simultaneously maintain the building’s transparency from within and create a sense of refined solidity when seen from a distance. At the point where the two pyramids meet, the façade is compressed, providing greater transparency at the building’s most public levels.

Services
1. Sustainable Approach
It is envisioned that the Torre Bicentenario will be a building of the future and an example of how a sustainable and integrated design approach can achieve maximum building performance. To this end, the design of the building systems will aggressively target the reduction in energy, water use, and the constructed volume. The ultimate goal is to reduce the building’s carbon footprint in its operation and the embodied energy used in the materials to construct it.

2. Climate
The building systems shall be designed to respond to the local climate and environment to optimize energy use and improve indoor air quality. The average annual temperature of the city is mild, at about 17 ºC. Winter temperatures may fall to as low as 2.5 ºC at night while, in the summer, high daytime temperatures may reach 30 ºC. The warmer months (roughly from May through September) are also the most humid.

The average relative humidity during daytime at these months is 60%.Drier conditions occur during the winter months. As indicated by the darker blue squares in the Psychometric Chart below, there is a great percentage of time that outdoor air can be used in lieu of air conditioning for free cooling. As a result, air systems shall be designed with full air side economizers to provide significant energy savings throughout the year.

3. Air and Water
The building will be served by air handling units located on central mechanical floors. This approach maximizes the net usable floor area and also centralizes equipment to Minimize maintenance cost and the disruption to office tenants when systems are serviced. The mechanical plant floors shall also be used to house the fire protection and domestic water equipment. Water conservation strategies shall be developed to reduce building water demand by 30%by installing water efficient fixtures and capturing, treating and reusing gray water and rain water for flushing toilet fixtures and landscape irrigation.

4. Energy and Light
A high efficiency chiller and boiler plant shall be installed in the lower level mechanical room. Variable speed drives shall be provided on chillers and pumps and controlled by the building energy management system to adjust the energy input to exactly match building cooling heating demand. All equipment shall be designed with redundancy to allow for effective maintenance and repair without disrupting the operation of the building. The incoming electrical service will be high voltage (23kV), and terminated onto main high voltage switchgear located in a lower level electrical room dedicated for the utility equipment.

Park
Below the park adjacent to the building, underground parking will provide 6,000 spaces for the building’s occupants and visitors to the park. The structural system of the garage allows natural ventilation to permeate to each level. Above the parking structure, a newly upgraded landscape will provide an important entry to Chapultepec Park.

Bridge
The two districts adjacent to the Torre Bicentenario, Las Lomas and Polanco, are separated by two major highways and their interchange. To provide a link between them, a new pedestrian bridge extends from the Torre Bicentenario to the east, crossing over the Periferico highway, establishing a shortcut that reconnects formerly disengaged sections of the park and the city.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 6:22 AM
Pizza Pizza

wow it looks like the tower is pregnant in some angles

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 3:14 PM
Urban Explorer

Ah! What the hell is that thing??

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 4:46 PM

Considering that Mexico city is sinking ever faster due to totally incompetent water management, and that it lies in a very prone quake area, doesn't seem wise to go very high at all.
--

The design is not exactly the most stable either.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 6:14 PM

I was just in mexico city recently and its a great city, i loved it the entire time was there. I lived in a pretty shadey neighborhood but still loved it. and the downtown of mexico city is beautiful and vibrant. i can totally see this happening.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 6:50 PM

This proposal reminds me of the Tour Phare proposal in Puteaux France.

Picture from google

The one in France looks more complicated but the overall design looks similar. I think the building looks ok not my favourite though.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 7:13 PM
The True Avatar

I will say that imo this is one of the ugliest designs for any building in some time. But some proposals that look terrible in renderings, end up looking great in reality.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Steel View Post
This proposal reminds me of the Tour Phare proposal in Puteaux France.
Sort of...only the building in France has interesting proportions, flows gracefully, and uses its unique structure as an architectural feature. It looks classy (though strange), but this proposal looks like a 5th grader drew it, not to mention that it's 10x as tall as everything around it, making it stick out like even more of a sore thumb.

Two words of wisdom: start over.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:27 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I like this better than the Tour Phare, and I am a huge Mayne fan. The best part of the Phare is were the structure meets the ground in all of those interesting angles and exposed beams. Above that level, I like this better as a tower, and think it reflects a certain sophisticated "Latiness"-if there is such a thing. Its big, masculine and forward looking. Love it.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 4:59 AM
Angry Sober

Not too sure about the design of this one... Tall is a good thing, but aesthetically, I'm not a fan.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:46 AM

Yikes! I don't know what to make out of this building, but I guess Torre Mayor won't be Mayor anymore. Is this building going to be on Reforma?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 4:30 PM
Not my real name

I guess I'll be among the very few dissenting opinions that like this project. Visually, I like the simple angles that draw your eyes up the building; though, I got to think about the proportions used. It looks like the architect is using a 2:1 ratio to define the width of the pyramids and their distance from the top. I wonder if phi (1.618) was used instead, the building would look less "bloated."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:44 PM
Information Age

I don't like the design, but it may grow on me...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 9:32 PM
them bones

I think this tower is visually pretty interesting and it should be noted that this area is lined with buildings in the 100m height range, so it's not exactly devoid of towers.

I don't see any relationship to Mayne's Paris tower at all. This is vastly different in so many ways.

The view of this thing from the park should be amazing. Obelisk-like. And the view of Reforma and Alameda areas from the pyramid 'bridge' level should be totally unique.

I think the trick is going to be the facade, whether or not it's minimalist or something with a bit more depth. If it's anything like what's going up on OMA's CCTV in Beijing it should be marvelous.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

a tad on the ooglie side.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

that's a very interesting shape. at first, my eye wanted the bulge to be symmetrical around the building, but the inherent imbalance in the design pictured is actually quite intriguing. i agree with plinko, success (or failure) will lie in the facade treatment of the curtain wall.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrissian View Post
Considering that Mexico city is sinking ever faster due to totally incompetent water management, and that it lies in a very prone quake area, doesn't seem wise to go very high at all.
--

The design is not exactly the most stable either.
Just about 1/3 of Mexico City was formerly a lake, and not all is sinking, the rest is actually very stable, and this tower is located in a part that has always been firm land, there is no issue about sinking at all with this tower.

And about earthqaukes... actually skysrapers are safer, just check out L.A.(the have one of 310m) and San Francisco. Small buildings and houses go down, skyscrapers don´t

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 3:20 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Now that's just weird.
That building is like something we would see in a Sci-Fi movie. It's like a spaceship from another planet.
Way out of place.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:06 AM
Give us a kiss

Somehow reminds me of those good ole Darkos (or whatever they were called -- level 1 arcologies) in SC2000

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 4:49 AM
Editor/Ilustrador/Mod

Update:

For the moment The official current status is....

cancelled

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects