HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
I must say, as a portlander, i am very envious of the transportation options that utah will have in the near future. Light rail will explode in the next 5 years, as well as commuter rail--add to that the excellent freeway system and you guys will have the complete package. I just hope people will take advantage of the rail and use it, alot.
As an Angelino, I very much agree with you Pdxman. Future Mayor and I were just commenting on the SLC thread that this should help to generate more towers for downtown also. I know the light and heavy rail, have made a big difference for downtown L.A., over the past few years.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:24 PM

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention the bus system...by the way, how is the bus system there? I never rode it while i lived there(in provo) but it seems decent enough. Does it make sense? Easy to get around?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:03 AM

It's not bad. They recently redesigned it to be more efficient for transfering between the bus and trax, which was a good idea, but it neccessitated eliminating several routes. Alot of people are not happy they did that, but my bus wasn't changed much and it is definitely more crowded now than it was so maybe it was a good thing. (this is all based on SLC routes, I don't know how good of a job they do in provo).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:15 PM

Span built beside highway is nearly ready to be set in place

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7101493

UDOT inspector Ed Layton is dwarfed by the bridge built to... (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune)

A worker places rebar for an abutment wall along Interstate... (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune)

...The difference? Contractors built this bridge beside the road, instead of sharing the highway with commuters.
So even though the bridge still took nine months to build, it was nine months without intermittent lane closures and a complete shutdown of the 4500 South crossing for what could have been up to five months.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 2:45 AM

SLC Airport Expansion

This was posted in the Sept. 07 edition of "Elevations" (SLC Newsletter)

No Summer Vacation for Salt Lake City International Airport Passenger levels during June and July were extraordinary at Salt Lake City International Airport. The airport handled 2,016,756 passengers in June, a 4.15% increase over last June. During July, 2,113,178 passengers used the airport, a 2.91% increase over last July. Year-to-date, the airport is running a
3.12% increase in passengers compared to the same period in 2006. Fifteen airlines serve Salt Lake City International Airport and
there are 916 scheduled daily flights. Currently, the airport offers nonstop flights to 106 domestic destinations. International
service is offered to 11 destinations aboard 96 scheduled daily flights (average—there are 11 each week). International passenger
numbers increased 23.82% in July and 25.67% in June compared to last year. There are over 81,000 daily airplane seats available
through Salt Lake City International Airport. In terms of passenger levels, the airport is the 23rd largest in the United States and
the 54th largest airport in the world. With regards to take-offs and landings, it is the 14th largest airport in the nation and the 11th
largest in the world. It is now Delta Air Lines’ second largest hub. Along with their commuter airline partners, they operate around
628 scheduled daily domestic flights and nearly all of the scheduled international flights. “We continue to experience constant,
sustained growth”, comments Maureen Riley, Executive Director of the Salt Lake City Department of Airports, “The trend has been
consistent over several years.” As a result, the Salt Lake City Department of Airports is in the process of developing an implementation strategy for a major expansion project. Within the next five years, the airport will construct new gates and support facilities in keeping with the demand it is experiencing. “It is clearly evident that everything that can be done to the airport to accommodate the needs of the airlines has been done,” comments Ms. Riley, “Our mission is now oriented to providing a sound plan for
future development. We have good synergy with our airline partners and, already, it has been an exciting project.”

Copy of the master plan: http://www.slcairport.com/pdf/planni...ALP_Report.pdf (81 pages)

Enjoy, some interesting things including new terminals, the Trax line, and a fourth runway.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:54 PM
Desert Dweller

All those passengers and more crowded flights. Why does it cost as much to fly to SLC from PHX as it does to fly to NYC? It really sucks. The airport needs expansion and a larger supply of flights to lower the cost of visiting SLC.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 1:20 PM

Legacy Parkway/Freeway to become a National, 'Scenic- Byway'

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...218444,00.html

http://www.kued.org/productions/wetl...wan_water.html

Snow-crested Wasatch Mountains line the eastern edge of Davis County, and Antelope Island looms in the west. There are thousands of acres of wetlands and nature preserves, and during the spring and fall, thousands of migratory birds call the Great Salt Lake's wetlands home.

Guidelines include color suggestions: subdued hues, non-reflective materials and natural textures. Already, the parkway's overpasses are designed with earth-toned bricks, and areas around pedestrian walkways will feature trees boulders and ponds.

http://www.kued.org/productions/wetl...wan_water.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 1:49 PM

Airport TRAX routes reviewed, The City Council will consider plans from UTA and others, and the impact of each option

http://www.sltrib.com/valleywest/ci_7150329

Each route has its supporters and detractors in an increasingly emotional debate that stirs the east-west divide and pits developers against each other. At two previous public meetings, west side residents came out in force against the 600 West plan.

South Temple line looking toward soon-to-open 400 West line

Utah Transit Authority

Recently completed Medical Center LRT Extension

Utah Transit Authority

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 2:46 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I wonder if 900 West has ever been considered as an option, run the line being constructed now, down to Central Station, then back up to 200 S and over to 900 W? I think the 400 West North Temple viaduct is the best option, if they incorporate it into a totally new bridge (i'm sure that bridge needs to be rebuilt sometime soon).

Why does the 600 West option have to have a bridge built. Can it not intersect with the freight tracks? I'm guessing a bridge over the tracks would be necessary on 900 W as well.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 12:19 AM

I posted this on the Tribune site, don't know if you agree or if it's even posible but maybe you could tell me...

I'm not an urban planer so I don't know if this is realy fesable, but I have heared of citys where the light rail goes underground and becomes a subway. I realize that this would be alot more expencive then light rail, but I think TRAX should go underground on 600w. and remain underground down 600w. and then down N. Temple. This way the TRAX will go faster then 25mph which is how fast it would go if it went down the middle of N. Temple. After the train gets to the end of N. Temple I think it should come back above ground and go to the airport. This would eliminate the need for a bridge, alow the train to go faster and still serve N. Temple. The only downsides I can see would be the coast and the fact that it wouldn't be as safe durring an earthquake.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 1:17 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I like it going underground on 600 W and then maybe making the turn underground but I'm not a big fan of keeping it underground all along N. Temple. I don't think that it would have as much of an economic impact if it were underground. I think in a city without such a dense population it is nice to have it visible on the street, I would think that it would create more awareness and ridership that way.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 10:39 PM

^
I thought about that. I think it is a good point, but on the other hand I think more people would be willing to ride it if it was faster, it just might not be as pedestrian friendly.
Not that it matters, UTA probubly won't consider it anyway.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:43 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I remember when the initial Traxx line was being proposed there were several groups that were wanting either monorail or subway rather than light rail. The cost estimates at that time stated that monorail was six times the cost and subway would be ten times the cost of light rail.

Sorry but I don't see UTA, the State or the Feds ponying up 10 times the amount simply to avoid a viaduct on 600 W. Sorry everyone.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 12:22 PM

Enjoying a relaxing ride on TRAX

Light rail can be a good place to people watch, as well as a way to enjoy the other sights and sounds of the city

http://www.sltrib.com//ci_7214511?IA...www.sltrib.com

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 11:10 AM

Buhler, Becker focus on west-side issues / TRAX Airport Line At The Top Of The List

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...221399,00.html

"We need to get (the airport TRAX line) built as quickly as possible, and we need to do it the right way, which means on 400 kWest and a new viaduct on North Temple," he said.

Becker calls the TRAX line an "incredible opportunity for the kind of commercial development and the kind of beautification we want along North Temple."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 3:57 PM

"Transit debate flares as county governments council votes again on projects"
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7264711

Does this piss anyone else off, or am I the only one?

I voted for the sales tax increase specifically because as it was originally pitched, it was all supposed to go to transit. Then the fucking STATE legislature comes in and says 25% of it has to go to the Mountain View Corridor. OK, I say, that's fine, we still get at least a couple new trax lines, so I still voted for it even though it was a devisive and underhanded move by the legislature. Then they change it so it's 25% MVC, $100 M to I-80, jordan and WVC trax lines, and commuter rail. I'm getting a little more irritated at this point, because it was really supposed to be for the 4 trax lines, but OK, that's OK, transit is still the main focus, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

But now they want a re-vote and say roads should have been funded. Am I missing something here or was this a COUNTY proposition that was voted for by COUNTY residents who wanted transit. Now the STATE legislature is trying to tell the county what to build with the money that we (county residents) are paying. WTF! I mean honeslty, WTF!!!!!! WTF is wrong with this state legislature thinking that they have to police what the cities and counties are doing. Transit is what we voted for, not roads. The state legislature need to back the fuck off, and let the system work the way is was set up to work.

I don't think I'm getting my point across as well as I'd like because I'm so livid with bull shit. It's things like this in this state that make me think that maybe it's time to stop fighting and just go somewhere where the state legislature isn't a bunch of white male conservative religious zealots who think it's their duty to impose their will on everyone around them (I'm mad about a couple other issues now as well so some of this rant is directed at that).
Alright, I'll shut up now, as this rant is getting out of hand.
But if funding gets pulled from transit and put into roads I'm going to leave as soon as I'm done with school as I can't in good conscience pay taxes when it's being manipulated the way it is here.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 4:10 PM

It is irritating to say the least.

I don't think transit will be pulled. The only rail that is even close to being chopped is the southern portion of Commuter Rail.

Hatch is talking about putting the money that would have gone to commuter rail to the Airport trax line and the North Temple Viaduct replacement so trax can run down 4th south and over a new viaduct.

I honestly don't see any changes happening. UTA just got a $500 million dollar agreement with the Feds to cover 80% of the West Jordan extension and 20% of the Commuter Rail extension.

It would be nice if the State would get off the County's back and understand that we would prefer transit to more roads.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 1:58 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

FrontRunner commuter trains makes showcase run

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7279252
It's interesting to read some of the peoples comments regarding the article. Some people are so stuck in their vehicle ways and ignorant as to the benefits transit has even on those that don't use it.

Speaking of ignorant people, we should all send Senator Valentine an email telling him to mind his own business on the COG vote regrading appropriation of Salt Lake County voters money. I already did, and of course I haven't heard back yet.

Here's a video from 2 News also.

http://www.kutv.com/mostpopular/stor...2-dfc27bb57fc8

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:13 PM

^^^

Great article Future Mayor, I especially thought this comment was timely:

"At least on commuter rail you can increase capacity [by adding rail cars]," said Salt Lake City Councilman Carlton Christensen. "I'm not an anti-freeway guy, but they've squeezed every inch out of every lane in each direction."

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:31 PM

Passengers walk next to the FrontRunner train following the commuter rail's inaugural round trip from Woods Cross to Kaysville on Thursday. (Ravell Call, Deseret Morning News)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West