HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 11:27 PM
my posse's on broadway

Three chosen to design artwork for Sacramento airport expansion
By Ed Fletcher - efletcher@sacbee.com
Last Updated 3:15 pm PDT Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Three internationally known artists have been selected to propose and ultimately design art pieces for Sacramento's planned airport expansion.

With an approximately $1.5 million budget, the works these artists produce -- and the new airport terminal itself -- will help define millions of visitors' first impression of the region.

The artists selected Wednesday, Donald Lipski, Lawrence Argent and Christian Moeller, are asked to propose, then design art that will be functional parts of the airport -- i.e. lights, floors, walls and even security cameras.

An additional $3.5 million eventually will be allocated to other artists whose art will beautify -- but not be functional parts of -- the new $1.3 billion terminal. The selection was made by the Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission.

--

I love Lawrence Argent's stuff!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
Three chosen to design artwork for Sacramento airport expansion
By Ed Fletcher - efletcher@sacbee.com
Last Updated 3:15 pm PDT Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Three internationally known artists have been selected to propose and ultimately design art pieces for Sacramento's planned airport expansion.

With an approximately $1.5 million budget, the works these artists produce -- and the new airport terminal itself -- will help define millions of visitors' first impression of the region.

The artists selected Wednesday, Donald Lipski, Lawrence Argent and Christian Moeller, are asked to propose, then design art that will be functional parts of the airport -- i.e. lights, floors, walls and even security cameras.

An additional $3.5 million eventually will be allocated to other artists whose art will beautify -- but not be functional parts of -- the new $1.3 billion terminal. The selection was made by the Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission.

--

I love Lawrence Argent's stuff!
Argent's works are AWESOME!!! Lipski's is pretty basic public art stuff...and I'm tentatively excited about Moeller's works. Overall, this is very exciting!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:41 AM
Closed account

^ Are these local artists? I am implying that if they are not, I wished they would have supported locals.. If they are local, then really cool.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:18 PM
my posse's on broadway

None are locals. And I'd usually agree with you on that econ... but it's not always the case that there was a local artist who is better qualified. Maybe considering it's an "international" airport, there a bit of room for outside interpretation.

Funny thing is that I think Argent's bear in front of the Denver Convention Center would be a perfect piece for the Capital City's glassy new airport. You know.. with our flag having a bear and all.

But as I also thought it might look like it was trying to escape California!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 2:15 AM

Quote:
None are locals. And I'd usually agree with you on that econ... but it's not always the case that there was a local artist who is better qualified. Maybe considering it's an "international" airport, there a bit of room for outside interpretation.

Funny thing is that I think Argent's bear in front of the Denver Convention Center would be a perfect piece for the Capital City's glassy new airport. You know.. with our flag having a bear and all.

Well, at least we can hope for something as big and bold as the bear at SMF!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 3:52 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

I do not find the bear an attractive piece at all. But I guess that's the point of art to get people talking and exchanging ideas...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:09 PM

The big blue bear has quickly become quite an icon around the city here. Any time you mention "the blue bear", everyone knows exactly what you're talking about. My office is right near there and I don't think I've ever passed by it without seeing tourists taking their photo in front of it.

On the other hand though, the city just installed some hideous 20 foot bronco (horse, not the football team) sculpture at DIA that is absolutely atrocious. (I'll see if I can find a pic).

I really hope the art at the new terminal will be on the same scale as the "birds" on the parking garage at terminal A. I've always liked those and thought they are very "grandiose".

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 4:56 PM

Airlines balk at cost of Sacramento airport expansion plan
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Last Updated 7:57 am PDT Monday, April 28, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

With a major expansion at Sacramento International Airport mere months away, local officials are pitted against angry airline executives in a debate over costs.

Come June, the county will break ground for one of the biggest projects ever seen here. The Terminal B duplex and the old airport hotel will be replaced with a four-story, glass-and-steel terminal, connected by a people-mover tram to a 19-gate concourse building.

The county also plans to build a hotel tower and a second parking garage, similar to the one next to Terminal A.

Total cost: $1.27 billion.

That price tag has been controversial from the get-go.

Airlines, already stressed by high fuel prices and other financial woes, complain that airport officials are gouging them by designing an overly expensive terminal and ordering them to pay the biggest part of the bill – probably about half.

"You have to be financially prudent and have some sense of control over how much you can afford in Sacramento," said Southwest Airlines executive Greg Gillis, from his Dallas office.

U.S. Airways officials agree. Sacramento doesn't, for instance, need a costly tram and separate concourse, they say.

In a letter, U.S. Airways officials call Sacramento's timing "disconcerting." It is about to jack up airline fees while high fuel prices and the bankruptcy bugaboo hang over the industry.

U.S. Airways and Southwest officials say Sacramento fliers may end up taking the hit, either with higher fares or fewer flights.

Southwest's Gillis said his company believes the airport wants to hold too much money – $18 million by his counting – in reserve accounts. He argues that the airport, a nonprofit, should not be collecting money from the airlines without a specific intention to spend it.

"The magnitude of these reserve funds (for) a brand new facility … why?" he asks.

The airport's response to the airlines: Deal with it.

Sacramento airport executive Hardy Acree says the county is building the size airport it needs, and the airlines can afford it.

He said Southwest, the big carrier here, has by his accounting better profit margins in Sacramento than in all but three other airports it serves.

Next month, Acree will ask his bosses, the county Board of Supervisors, to OK a substantial increase in the fees that airlines pay to use Sacramento's airport.

He contends that the price is fair, in line with what many airports charge, and that airport fees in general represent only a small slice of air carriers' overall expenses, anyway.

"They probably (spend) more on peanuts and sodas than the costs airports charge," he said.

The airport has the leverage in the dispute. Federal rules allow airport officials to impose fees, as long as they are reasonable.

Behind the money fight is a philosophical split.

Southwest, in particular, sees itself as a low-fares flier and likes low-cost airports.

For years at cozy little Sacramento, airlines paid lower costs in exchange for agreeing to be a financial backstop if the airport had budget trouble.

Now, airport head Acree says, it's time for Sacramento to grow up and compete with Bay Area airports for big Northern California business.

For that, he says, airlines must pay a price.

http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/894545.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 4:57 PM

More Merger Mania

Apparently United and US Air are merging, within days from now.
I suppose if that happens, US Air will move to terminal B to join United.
And NW will move to terminal A to join Delta.

I'm also hearing that Skywest is looking to acquire ExpressJet.
If this deal goes through, its probably the end of ExpressJet as its own airline.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 5:21 PM
Kodachrome

This is from this weeks SBJ.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 7:51 PM
Here we stAy

That is one sexy graphic.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 8:01 PM
my posse's on broadway

What is the 2020 expansion just under the number 4 and above the light rail station? That looks like and expansion of the new terminal... but that wouldn't seem to jive too well with the architecture, considering the big new glassy facade and all. Wouldn't that just block the new terminal?

Menace it, if you will?

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 11:48 PM
Kodachrome

Look at all the parking garages I wonder if Light Rail went out to
the airport first instead of last, they would need to build two more massive garages?

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 11:56 PM
my posse's on broadway

Yeah, really... and it's a trip to see that grand new terminal in the cool video fly throughs, and then realize the parking structure is going to be over three times the size.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 1:14 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
What is the 2020 expansion just under the number 4 and above the light rail station? That looks like and expansion of the new terminal... but that wouldn't seem to jive too well with the architecture, considering the big new glassy facade and all. Wouldn't that just block the new terminal?

Menace it, if you will?

That would be an expansion of the central terminal.

All of the ticketing and baggage claim at Terminal A (and future terminal C) will be transferred over to the a bigger central terminal which will handle all baggage claim and ticketing (and security i believe).

The APM will also be expanded to Terminal A at that time as well..

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post

Total cost: $1.27 billion.

That price tag has been controversial from the get-go.

http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/894545.html
I think they should look on the bright side. With inflation doing what its doing and all, this $1.27 billion will most likely be equivalent to $3 billion by the time the expansion is finished.

Ok, so maybe not that much...

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 9:02 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRefugee View Post
I think they should look on the bright side. With inflation doing what its doing and all, this $1.27 billion will most likely be equivalent to $3 billion by the time the expansion is finished.

Ok, so maybe not that much...

I think that you're 100% correct.

Personally i'll pay an extra couple bucks every time i fly, if it mean we have a first class facility.

If anyone's ever flow from Terminal B lately (either concourse); you'll know that you're lucky to find a seat to sit down, let alone a seat where you can grab a bite to eat. I always end up having to sit on the floor awaiting my flight from terminal B.

The security check in for both terminals is a joke.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I think that you're 100% correct.

Personally i'll pay an extra couple bucks every time i fly, if it mean we have a first class facility.

If anyone's ever flow from Terminal B lately (either concourse); you'll know that you're lucky to find a seat to sit down, let alone a seat where you can grab a bite to eat. I always end up having to sit on the floor awaiting my flight from terminal B.

The security check in for both terminals is a joke.
The main food court/bar is great in terminal B...its open to the public
Also the security lines are basically non existant...while in A sometimes it goes all the way to the parking garage.(20-30 min)

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:55 PM
silly slackergeek

Southwest to Denver

Southwest will start non-stop service to Denver starting Aug. 4

Two flights each way a day to start.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:07 PM
Here we stAy

Well it's about friggin' time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area