HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:51 PM

Victorian Fire?

I was on my way to work last month, and on the street where i take my lunch break (bag lunch while sitting in my car) i saw a fire crew race down to this victorian. I watched from my desk for flames but there was nothing. I later found out that the house is vacant and used for training for the two local fire stations. Either way this area has some nice houses that have survived the freeway. I took a series of pictures with the fire crew but during my lunch break i dropped my phone and lost all the pictures except this one. The street is Rosemont.

Also while in the storage room i found this hanging on the wall. I was wondering why we had it but then it clicked... usually ahen someone finds a box of Boy Scout related items they just drop it off at our council office, im thinking this guy was a scouter and his family donated this to us. But what was his connection with Mount Lowe?

I was going to post this on the peryhs but it seems you cant upload to the site.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
That's a "skeleton stock" used to convert a handgun into something you can steady with your shoulder like a rifle. Looks like an increased capacity magazine to go with it. I highly doubt the combination was full automatic, the usual definition of a "machine gun."

Cheers,

Earl
Since this comes from the "Motor Squad," I wonder if the idea was to have a steady weapon you could shoot from your moving vehicle or motorcycle during a chase?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post

That's 517 Rosemont, built in 1895 according to Redfin. No permit.

gsv

gsv

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; May 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I was on my way to work last month, and on the street where i take my lunch break (bag lunch while sitting in my car) i saw a fire crew race down to this victorian. I watched from my desk for flames but there was nothing. I later found out that the house is vacant and used for training for the two local fire stations. Either way this area has some nice houses that have survived the freeway. I took a series of pictures with the fire crew but during my lunch break i dropped my phone and lost all the pictures except this one. The street is Rosemont.

It could be that noir figures into every building in LA, even if only obliquely...517 Rosemont was occupied by the brother of Philip A. Kilfoil around the time of the latter's sensational murder trial.... More at http://tinyurl.com/le6a8v5 and much covered elsewhere at the time....

PS Rosemont north of Temple was once called Casco Street--presumably 517 Rosemont was 517 Casco... carpenter Peter Lindquist lived there 1895-96. It looks somewhat older to me, but maybe he built it from a pattern book.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 19, 2017 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Good find FW. I looked for it & wasn't able to find it.

I don't believe we have discussed compass trees on NLA, right?

"Last of the Four Compass Trees in Burbank." [1956?-1965?]

http://digital-library.csun.edu/cdm/...n/SFVH/id/4117

"These sycamore trees marked the gateway to the San Fernando Valley and served as a guide for travelers, as well as the padres who traveled from mission to mission. The trees also provided shade, wood to cook with, and water because they were located near fresh water springs. The trees were planted in a "V" formation and each tree pointed to a direction on the compass. The padres chose to plant the sycamores because they were used for this purpose in Europe. In Europe they were called the "plane tree" because they were one of the easiest trees to recognize and they stood out from the rest. The spot were these four trees were planted in Burbank was used as a camp and resting place. Don Juan Bautista de Anza, Frontier Captain and Military Governor of Sonora, was one among many who made camp here."

"This particular tree was planted around 1817 and was located at 715 South Lake Street. Many of the trees branches were cut because they were deteriating and endangering the residents. Mrs. Pierina E. Lo Piccolo, founder of the Burbank Historical Museum, rescued the tree and paid for its removal after the owners of the property, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lurtsema, graciously donated the tree to the museum. The tree is now located on West Magnolia Boulevard in Burbank."

So was this information written back when the photograph was taken (1950s/60s), or written recently (if recently, it implies the compass tree is still standing somewhere on W. Magnolia)

I have to say, if that's what the tree looked like 50 years ago, I can't image what it looks like today. (a stump?)

__
All four of our compass trees are now gone from their original location. There is now a "Compass Tree Park" on the location with a compass on the ground in concrete, some benches and some new Sycamores to give shade. They were planted there in 2002. It is a tiny, triangular park, located next to what is called the "Burbank Western Channel" originally a natural creek that came down from the north and eventually joined the LA River. It seems that the West Magnolia location would be sort of strange since the museum is located on Olive. The Burbank Website noted that the trees are no longer standing.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:00 PM

Thanks to Flyingwedge and DViator for your replies to yesterday's Shulman post. I actually drove the Googlemobile past that location, but the street number was so far out, I didn't stop to look around.

-------------

Today's Julius Shulman post shows another fountain in Beverly Hills, although I'd already chosen this as the next subject before t2 showed us the Doheny Fountain. It's "Job 2959: Pereira & Luckman, Robinson's, fountain (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1960".

There are three images in the set, but two are identical, so I left one out.

Both from Getty Research Institute

I recently skipped over a pair of 1951 images of Robinson's under construction. They only show the metal skeleton of the structure, but if anyone's interested, you can see them here. There's also a single image of Robinson's washroom here.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Both. The theater belonged to AMPAS 1940-1949 (the 1949 Academy Awards ceremony was held there). The WGA took it over after AMPAS left (there were still two ginormous Oscar statuettes flanking the screen) and stayed until 1978 when their conditional use permit was revoked.
Thanks Tovangar2, but I'm still confused about the WGA having it. "Sopas ej" had a post with a photo on it with the caption:

"1972, Price Waterhouse is dropping off the nominations lists at the AMPAS headquarters, then located in a converted old movie theater building at 9038 Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood. After a brand new, considerably larger headquarters building was built and opened in late 1975 in Beverly Hills on Wilshire Boulevard, the old headquarters building was demolished."

The photo is no longer on the post, but I believe it was this one:

Do you know when the building was demolished?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
LOL

"Vintage Photo LOS ANGELES POLICE MOTOR SQUAD MACHINE GUN INVENTION 1931"

ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REAL...kAAOSwLEtYh97a

Lieutenant Jack Lyons machine gun invention, 1931.

reverse

I'm not entirely sure how this pistol machine gun was suppose to work. -why the large triangular brace?

__
I found Jack Lyons, hoping to get more info about his invention, but.... Jack Donovan Lyons was born in Aberdeen, South Dakota in about 1909. He came to California prior to 1930. His father, Arthur Lyons, was an engineer on a railroad. He married in 1935 and lived in Monrovia. He died in April of 1965 in Oregon.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:48 PM

Thanks oldstuff. I looked for more information on him, but found nothing.
_______

Kodachrome slide from the 1960s looking toward the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and Doheny Dr.

https://www.facebook.com/dantanasres...type=3&theater

We may have seen this before, but I don't believe so.

What do you think the guy with the pick-up truck is going to do with all the railroad ties? (looks like he brought his little daughter along to help)

__

I hope that little truck has good springs.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2017 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I'm still confused about the WGA having it.
Do you know when the building was demolished?
OK, now I'm confused. If AMPAS didn't move out until 1975, maybe the two organizations shared it until then (I was away from LA during those years) and the WGA had it exclusively after '75 when I would have known it.

I think it was demolished soon after it was shut down (I guess the neighbors complained; we were parking on the residential streets). With only the conditional permit, the WGA had no hope of saving it.

Here it is as the AMPAS theater in '51:
http://hollywoodphotographs.com/deta...n-melrose-ave/

And there's this snippet from "Crossroads of the Stars"

(More) Los Angeles Movie Palaces
Cinema Treasures

I'm perplexed that neither of the above links even mention the WGA. I wasn't surprised the AMPAS site didn't, they'd have no reason to.

21st annual Oscars ceremony:

ej sopas via (more)los angelesmoviepalaces

Anyway, it was a lovely place, more clubhouse than anything else.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:20 PM

Thanks for locating the Pacific Palisades 'mystery' curve FW, t2 and DViator.

I believe this must be the area where that 'over-look' in the color slide was located.

lapl via https://www.kcet.org/history-society...unt-washington

for comparison

Charles Cushman photo, taken Feb 27, 1952.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:31 PM

re: Compass Tree

on w. magnolia around 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
All four of our compass trees are now gone from their original location. There is now a "Compass Tree Park" on the location with a compass on the ground in concrete, some benches and some new Sycamores to give shade. They were planted there in 2002. It is a tiny, triangular park, located next to what is called the "Burbank Western Channel" originally a natural creek that came down from the north and eventually joined the LA River. It seems that the West Magnolia location would be sort of strange since the museum is located on Olive. The Burbank Website noted that the trees are no longer standing.
Thanks once again oldstuff. I appreciate your research.

Compass Tree Park

gsv

google_earth

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Looking at the map the park is actually a couple blocks down from the address where the photo showing the remnants of the original tree was taken. Also, the museum on Olive is run by the Burbank Historical Society, which was founded in 1973, while the photo caption says Burbank Historical Museum and supposedly dates from the 1950's-60's. The only museums I see on Magnolia in that area are the Martial Arts History Museum and the Bearded Lady's Mystic Museum, maybe one of those was the Burbank Historical Museum in a previous life?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:49 PM

re: Homemade Machine Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
That's a "skeleton stock" used to convert a handgun into something you can steady with your shoulder like a rifle. Looks like an increased capacity magazine to go with it.
I highly doubt the combination was full automatic, the usual definition of a "machine gun."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Since this comes from the "Motor Squad," I wonder if the idea was to have a steady weapon you could shoot from your moving vehicle or motorcycle during a chase?
thanks for the info guys.

I didn't notice this earlier.

detail

The LAPD 'motor squad' appears to have had a spoke wheel (patch) on the arm of their leather jackets.

_

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks oldstuff. I looked for more information on him, but found nothing.
_______

Kodachrome slide from the 1960s looking toward the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and Doheny Dr.

https://www.facebook.com/dantanasres...type=3&theater

We may have seen this before, but I don't believe so.

What do you think the guy with the pick-up truck is going to do with all the railroad ties? (looks like he brought his little daughter along to help)

__

I hope that little truck has good springs.
Having picked up more than one used railroad ties, they will average out to 100 lbs each. They have loaded over 2,000 lbs in the pick-up.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:32 AM

reddit

Japanese American internees returning from a relocation camp walk past combat veterans, August 22, 1945, Los Angeles, California

A couple of the women are smiling, so I don't think the boys said anything rude.

Photog's equipment bags to the left of the railing?

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
re: Homemade Machine Gun

thanks for the info guys.

I didn't notice this earlier.

detail

The LAPD 'motor squad' appears to have had a spoke wheel (patch) on the arm of their leather jackets.

_
The Colt 1911 handgun can be converted to full automatic. Babyface Nelson, gunsmith to the Dillinger gang, converted several this way. One of his was fitted with a Thompson SMG foregrip to control it under recoil. The magazine extension in this picture appears to be a handgrip for the same purpose.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
The Colt 1911 handgun can be converted to full automatic. Babyface Nelson, gunsmith to the Dillinger gang, converted several this way. One of his was fitted with a Thompson SMG foregrip to control it under recoil. The magazine extension in this picture appears to be a handgrip for the same purpose.
Learn something every day. Remembering my experiences qualifying with a 1911 in the Air Force, controlling recoil under full auto would be an "exercise" for sure.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:17 AM

Also while in the storage room i found this hanging on the wall. I was wondering why we had it but then it clicked... usually ahen someone finds a box of Boy Scout related items they just drop it off at our council office, im thinking this guy was a scouter and his family donated this to us. But what was his connection with Mount Lowe?

I was going to post this on the peryhs but it seems you cant upload to the site.[/QUOTE]

Per the proclamation, the Boy Scouts were one of the groups that helped clean up the remains of the Mt. Lowe Railway for its 100th Anniversary in 1993 and then act as guides for visitors during the commemorative celebrations that year. Apparently whoever donated that plaque wanted it kept "in the family".

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 4:59 AM

Photograph of Fort Moore Hill currently on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOS-ANGELES-...IAAOSwOgdYs41z

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 20, 2017 at 4:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos