HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The 48 Mark2s arriving & in service before the Olympics are the only cars on order the 24 for 2010 require the $260 million\yr funding increase which may or may not happen. There is a chance that we may not even see the $130m baseline status quo funding.
At this rate we'll be lucky to see all 48 MarkIIs by Dec 31, 2010.

Any idea what the contract structure is like for the 24 additional cars? Has Translink laid down a deposit or made other commitments?

I'd like to see those 24 additional cars, but if they scrap that and are able to start the Evergreen Line instead (for example), it's a clear choice.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
For London England, you can buy a track diagramme of the entire underground - which is where I got the idea for this.
You've done an excellent job there lightrail, the London Underground track map immediately spung to mind the moment I saw your map.

The only contribution i can make is related to the dates of the 1985 trial, it wasn't weekends strictly speaking, Wed-Sat the first week, Fri-Sat the folowing 2 weeks. SkyTrain usually capitlizes the T too.

No such detail about the dates on the 1983 dates though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:41 AM

Thanks - great find with those posters from 1983 and 1985 - you should send them to Jhenifer at the Buzzer Blog, I'm sure she'd like to share them there too.

Here's my final copy - I think. anybody care to upload to Wiki for me - if so, I'll email the SVG file to you - PM me.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:59 AM

Awesome job on the map!

just one question though. You decided to include the Olympic demonstration line, how come you did not include the WCE?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 6:42 AM

very fascinating map.

There was also something i had read in one of those expo 86 books info books my family had lying around that something about how waterfront station was designed so the skytrain could be extended to gastown.

Unfortunatley i don't have the book to scan that page...but has anyone heard of this, and why isn't it ever mentioned?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 7:12 AM

Great map. On your final version I don't see what the legend says about the little V's in the middle of the trackways though. I may hhave missed it though

Oh. Are those crossover sections?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 1:15 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxItYourself View Post
Great map. On your final version I don't see what the legend says about the little V's in the middle of the trackways though. I may hhave missed it though

Oh. Are those crossover sections?
Yep. It's a track diagram and those are just pieces of track. Black are LIM. Blue is 3rd rail.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 4:07 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

No need to put "Not An Official Map" so big on all four corners....it's beyond the official maps. (I haven't seen one that includes all the crossover sections published for the general public. I am sure that lots of transit users would find this information very interesting and useful sometimes.)

Great work!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:32 PM
loafing in lotusland

I agree. If anything, it doesn't need to be in bright red letters. It's additional information, and adds visual noise to the diagram. Of course, I'd also put all the stats on a separate page, but I know the intent is to serve as a one page reference for everything.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 2:59 AM

The track diagramme is now posted on Wikipedia - thanks MRWNS for posting it for me.

Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:03 AM

Have any 6car Mark 1s shown up yet?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:03 AM

Again why no WCE but Vancouver tram? The tram is not skytrain.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Again why no WCE but Vancouver tram? The tram is not skytrain.
I put the demo line on there as it is a dedicated electric passenger rail line, although only demo. It is a light rail line and I agree it is not skytrain.

I didn't put WCE on as it uses CN tracks and as this is a track diagram, it would be difficult to include all the CN tracks, other than a single line and the station layout - which in hindsight I suppose I could do.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:04 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Just riding the WCE today, and it is so nice, wish it ran all day.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
I put the demo line on there as it is a dedicated electric passenger rail line, although only demo. It is a light rail line and I agree it is not skytrain.

I didn't put WCE on as it uses CN tracks and as this is a track diagram, it would be difficult to include all the CN tracks, other than a single line and the station layout - which in hindsight I suppose I could do.
WCE uses the CP line, not CN, fwiw...I'd vote for *not* including it

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 7:40 AM

SkyTrain Map.

Great job on this map!

If I could, just a small correction, in the short section Olympic Line, (ie: The Downtown Historic Railway), the passing siding is on the wrong side, The passing is located on the south side of the rail, not the north as it is in this drawing...

I know its only a small detail, but I thought I'd point it out so if there is ever a future update on this map, perhaps it can be changed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:15 PM

Looking at the map, I realize it's a shorter distance from Millenium Line VCC King Edward station to Canada Line City Hall than the length of the Burquitlam tunnel on the Evergreen Line.

Why don't we concentrate on this piece of vital surgery (VCC to City Hall) before ANYTHING else? It would add karmic energy to the whole system overall. (Plus, it would provide a needed and convenient connection)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:39 PM

Ha! From the map:

Quote:
Skytrain Demo Line
From June to November 1983 Main Street Station and 1 km of track east along Terminal Avenue served as a public demonstration line prior to the opening of the original SkyTrain line. Trains ran noon to 8:00pm Wednesday to Sunday and Holidays.
Still remember that as my first ride on Skytrain as a kid. Ever since, have had it on my calendar to try the rest of the system but that day has still not yet arrived.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Looking at the map, I realize it's a shorter distance from Millenium Line VCC King Edward station to Canada Line City Hall than the length of the Burquitlam tunnel on the Evergreen Line.

Why don't we concentrate on this piece of vital surgery (VCC to City Hall) before ANYTHING else? It would add karmic energy to the whole system overall. (Plus, it would provide a needed and convenient connection)
If it were to be built only to City Hall, I can hear the critics already:
"Its a tunnel to no-where!"
"Billions spent on a gold-plated train system, when buses were already doing a good-enough job - and they were cheaper to run too"
"all that money spent on a hole in the ground could have bought a TramTrain to Chilliwack and LRT lines blanketing Surrey" - our favourite SkyTrain critic.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:52 PM

The tunnel to Cambie would probably not cost very much, either, if it was piggy-backed to another project that already uses a tunnel boring machine (i.e. Evergreen).

But realistically, it makes more sense to extend Millennium at least to the hospital district. When people talk about all of the jobs and services in "Central Broadway", the hospital district is the lion's share of that. That means building the line at least to Oak.

A couple of extra km of track past Cambie would greatly extend the influence of the SkyTrain network as a whole.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure