HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Tourism was Windsor's 2nd largest industry for quite some time (until 9/11 happened which ruined everything).
That's why I suggested having our gov't pay to wave the fees for getting passports for Americans, for a limited time.

Frankly, its just in our economic interest.

Of course, one does not want to rely solely on tourism. Its simply one of the easier non-direct public employment areas to boost.

I would strongly favour growing U of Windsor; particularly by giving them a full medical school, instead of the current UWO satellite program.

U Windsor could draw both more Ontario students, but also more international students (U.S. and otherwise) and be a boon to the local economy in the process.

Making Windsor more of a logistics (warehouse/distribution) hub would make sense.

Trucks don't have anywhere near the border issues, and Windsor, like Detroit, is well positioned to serve both Ontario and the mid-Western U.S.

Although retail typically doesn't provide the best jobs, I think subject to some modest population growth, and restored tourism, there could be more 'regional destination retail' in Windsor, over time.

As for branding Windsor, I think there should be an effort to bring in more Canadian media, in the digital era, and considering what I assume has to be shrinkage in U.S. media in the area, there should be 'spectrum' or dial space available for CBC Radio 3, Windsor (we need that in Toronto too), I don't know if a 3rd TV station could be supported, but that's worth looking at too. The more media based in Windsor, the more recognition it will get in both Canada and across the border.

Reducing Windsor's isolation for those who don't drive is also an issue; as increasing numbers of Torontonians (including the wealthy) don't own cars. Downtown Parking spaces for purchase now go for $50,000. I think the long anticipated VIA upgrades, in both travel time and frequency will help in this regard; hopefully they'll get done by 2013.

Last edited by Northern Light; Nov 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Tourism was Windsor's 2nd largest industry for quite some time (until 9/11 happened which ruined everything). We definitely don't want to go back to the days when Americans were taking over downtown every Friday and Saturday night though.

I think one of the things that needs to improve is how young Windsorites themselves perceive the city. Older people seem to recognize the good things going on there but younger ones can be resentful especially when they're forced to leave to find better jobs.

After having lived/worked in many other Canadian cities (London, Kitchener, Winnipeg, Brantford, Brandon, etc) I can say that I prefer Windsor to all of them. It's more diverse, unique, safe, quirky, etc. The thing is, I didn't realize any of that until I moved away.
That's great to hear that you prefer Windsor to all the other cities you have lived in ( which is quite a few ), I feel the same way. I don't think that many Canadians think that Windsor is a city that would be a desirable place to live if they had choices to live elsewhere.

We need more local boosters to promote the Windsor-Essex region and get the word out that it is a great place to live and work. We seem to only to get bad exposure in the news across Canada, we need to change that, especially with the many accolades we have received lately.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 3:07 PM

Ontario needs to be more prosperous outside of the Golden Horseshoe region. Eventually the region will hit the beginnings of a wall because of the Green Belt.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:40 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Ontario needs to be more prosperous outside of the Golden Horseshoe region. Eventually the region will hit the beginnings of a wall because of the Green Belt.
The Green Belt won't stop the 'prosperous' growth of the GTA. Development will simply continue on the other side, which we are already seeing in some places. Nearby cities like Barrie, K/W/C/G and Durham will grow more and more and get swallowed into the sprawling mess. The green belt will simply just become a line of green with asphalt and concrete on both sides.

Crazier still is that the GTA's sprawl is 2.5x as dense as the average sprawl you see in North America. Still a waste of space and farmland but it could be worse.

I don't see the Greater Golden Horseshoe's influence impacting SW Ontario any further west of Kitchener until High Speed Rail comes along, if it ever does, and if it includes a route in SW Ontario.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
The Green Belt won't stop the 'prosperous' growth of the GTA. Development will simply continue on the other side.
That is was I was implying. It will atleast impede it in some way, that's what it's for right.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 8:47 PM

One of the problems with Chatham.Kent and Sarnia is the lack of educational facilities.
Neither place has a university yet have a combined population of 240,000. It is a statistical fact that if young people have to leave an area to go to school they are much more likely not to return.
Not only is this due to meeting new friends and/or partners but also because those cities offer life long learning which would be impossible if the headed back home.
Sarnia is in the worse possible position as the nearest school is Western which is 100km away and after that it's 200km away to either waterloo/Laurier or Windsor. The only other cities of signicant size with no university are Barrie and Brantford but their situation isn't as bad as Sarnia's. Atleast Brantford is only 40km from Waterloo and only 25 from downtown Hamilton which atleast puts them within commuting distance. Barrie students atleast of taking GO transit to YorkU or UToronto. Sarnia and Chatham have no such transit options are a way out of commuting distance. I know Sarnia has a small Western campus but often they can hurt more than help. On one hand it encourages kids to go to university but then forces them to leave the city to finish their degrees or do post=graduate.
This is one of the reasons why smaller cities have lower levels of academic achievement.
I know McGuinty has announced he wants to build 4 new universities in the province. Personally I think Barrie and Sarnia will both be at the top of the list. That would make Sarnia a far more attractive option for young people and offer more cultural/social/sports amenities that the well educated can both afford and ussually demand of their chosen residence. Well educated people ussually have higher incomes and far more options of where they want to live and work which means a smaller city must have the many amenities and opportunities to both lure and keep them there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 8:55 PM

Well written post, I can totally see the point you're making. Of all the places I've been in Ontario I have never been to Sarnia.

University of Windsor has been nicknamed 'last chance U' at times. It has climbed the ranks in the last few years.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 7:16 AM
most inspired name ever

Actually Brantford has a Laurier campus I believe in its downtown core now

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:54 PM

Barrie and Sarnia should definately be in the running for a new university. Having one in Sarnia would really strengthen the southwestern Ontario region, as we need more of a focus on education here.

Down here in Windsor, our university is finally coming into it's own, with the new 110 million dollar school of enginearing, the medical school satelite, and other important improvements like the new downtown campuses now going through.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:19 PM

I think there are enough universities. Plus, Sarnia's only an hour away from London. Lambton College serves Sarnia well. The best jobs in that area are skilled trades anyway. Who wants to get a BA and work at McDonald's when you can become a millwright or pipefitter and make excellent money.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Who wants to get a BA and work at McDonald's
Welcome to Windsor!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 2:34 AM

ssiguy, Laurier has developed a campus in downtown Brantford and over the past 5 years it has been a huge catalyst for turning around that downtown. They've taken over a number of vacant buildings and done an amazing job restoring and renovating them. There are over 2000 students at that campus now.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 2:59 AM

There's an interesting clue in this article that implies St.. Clair college may be expanding yet again in downtown Windsor.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Wind...964/story.html

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:54 PM

Downtown Chatham condo going ahead

Well this project looks like it is finally gonna happen, although without the hotel part.

Source: tterfloth@chathamdailynews.ca

Condo project to begin this spring
MUNICIPAL: Boutin says it will take 14-18 months to finish
By TREVOR TERFLOTH
Posted 12 hours ago
Condominium construction on King Street West will begin within two to three months, says the proponent behind the project.

Victor Boutin, of Brampton-based Everlast Group, attended Monday's council meeting for a planning amendment.

Some of the changes include the removal of the hotel and retail portion, and replacing it with additional residential units.

There will now be a total of 113 condo units on 11 storeys with a multi-level parking garage.

Outside council chambers, Boutin said he wanted to be prepared to dig given the proximity to the Thames River.

“The ground is very wet there, so we have to go all the way down to the bedrock,” he said. “We found out there was some water coming back ... so we had to get rid of that. That's why it took so long.”

Boutin expects the project will take between 14-18 months to complete.

He said he understood the community has been eager to see it move ahead.

"They didn't build Rome in one day," he said. “It's the same thing with the building; sometimes it takes longer to prepare to make sure that you do the thing right.

“You better take a few more months on the drawing board.”

Boutin said the parking garage necessitated the removal of the hotel and retail space. However, he hopes to pursue a hotel project in a different location.

Twitter: DailyNewsTT

Last edited by north 42; Feb 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:54 PM

DT Chatham luxury condos. Looks like this project is back on track, which is great news for the city!

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/...-condo-project

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:26 PM
R2-D2's army of death

What if Windsor/Essex County billed themselves as a 'Miami-lite' for Canada? Try to encourage tourism, but not necessarily a population boom that makes it like the GTA?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 11:46 AM

It looks like Chatham's real estate market is getting pretty hot, following Windsor and London's lead. I'm not sure how Sarnia's market is doing, but it's great to see SW Ontario finally doing well again!

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/home-sales...kent-1.2938623

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:26 AM

Nice condo proposal for Kingsville

http://www.windsorontarionews.com/wi...ngs-villa.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:05 AM

Good work on keeping this thread alive north42!

I think you will continue to see more residential development in SWO especially Essex & CK. They offer relatively mild climates with little snow and very little snow accumulation which is importnt to seniors. BC is out of the question in terms of cost but there is another thing at play.

Young Ontarians are no longer moving out west and those that did are coming home. This means retirees will seek a more quiet and affordable lifestlye near their kids. Also BC is the only province that still has flat Medicare premiums which includes the elderly. For 2 people that works out to $1600/year.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:16 PM

^^ Thanks ssiguy! Yeah, I agree with your assessment, Windsor and Esssex County are really showing signs of life again after a decade of stagnation, and it does extend to Chatham as well, which has been hit even harder.

I'm always amazed by how many new people I meet from all over Canada who have sold their homes and bought down here because of how inexpensive it is and all that the area offers, they love it here! Now if we could just get some developers to actually start building some new condos and apartments in downtown Windsor for them to live in, it would give them more options in where they want to reside.

I rarely ever hear of anyone moving out west anymore for work, whereas years ago, it seemed like half the city was moving to Alberta. My how things have changed!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario