HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 7:20 PM

I don't like this building or 351. I like The Lighthouse Project, I like Deacon, I like APP. I'm not quite so fixated on the development circle-jerk as most of you fellas, so I won't apologize for having criticisms of cheap architecture.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
I don't like this building or 351. I like The Lighthouse Project, I like Deacon, I like APP. I'm not quite so fixated on the development circle-jerk as most of you fellas, so I won't apologize for having criticisms of cheap architecture.
You is rood, gurl

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:11 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
They aren't all the greatest, but when you say something is ugly or that you don't like it, you could elaborate and say why, especially coming from someone with an architectural education. If possible, that's always more useful than making blanket statements. Pardon me though, if you already stated those reasons in previous posts.

Edit: I also meant to say, personally, I would withhold such statements until a building is actually finished, and I don't mean to be rude here either. For the record, half the new buildings in Vancouver are usually judged as being ugly or uninspired too.

Last edited by Architype; Jun 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:32 PM

I wish we could favourite, or thumbs up, other people's comments.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I agree

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:39 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, it's a democracy, I don't fault anyone for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Then people would just make gratuitous statements to be up voted more.
"You're both great forumers, and I always value your opinions" (actually true); instant up vote, lol.

Last edited by Architype; Jun 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
They aren't all the greatest, but when you say something is ugly or that you don't like it, you could elaborate and say why, especially coming from someone with an architectural education. If possible, that's always more useful than making blanket statements. Pardon me though, if you already stated those reasons in previous posts.

Edit: I also meant to say, personally, I would withhold such statements until a building is actually finished, and I don't mean to be rude here either. For the record, half the new buildings in Vancouver are usually judged as being ugly or uninspired too.
No, I agree - I commented on this project a while ago which is why I didn't bother to reiterate. I was actually just teasing the forum by saying it was ugly (with a happy face). I do think it's 'ugly', but I was playing around... seeing as how I was following a bunch of positive comments.

And you're right, you can't fully know the success of a design until it's built. At the same time, I find some humour in being called-out on *jokingly* calling this design "ugly" when it's not built yet forumers are mercilessly tearing the APP project (note: also unbuilt) apart in another thread.

With that sad, I think this will be my last post on the St.John's sub-forum for the time being. It has become clear that I cannot have an opinion on development in this City without being incessantly antagonized or sarcastically spoken down to (regardless of the topic, discussion, thread) by Poscdoc and Jeddy et al.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:01 AM

I was looking at Fortis place the other day and noticed that they put the mechanical penthouse on top .. I'm curious, what things go into the mechanical penthouse?

also, on one of the sides, they have some prep work started to put the wood feature up. I can't wait to see it done

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:01 AM

Quote:
No, I agree - I commented on this project a while ago which is why I didn't bother to reiterate. I was actually just teasing the forum by saying it was ugly (with a happy face). I do think it's 'ugly', but I was playing around... seeing as how I was following a bunch of positive comments.

And you're right, you can't fully know the success of a design until it's built. At the same time, I find some humour in being called-out on *jokingly* calling this design "ugly" when it's not built yet forumers are mercilessly tearing the APP project (note: also unbuilt) apart in another thread.

With that sad, I think this will be my last post on the St.John's sub-forum for the time being. It has become clear that I cannot have an opinion on development in this City without being incessantly antagonized or sarcastically spoken down to (regardless of the topic, discussion, thread) by Poscdoc and Jeddy et al.
I don't even get a mention??? No need to blow things out of proportion and be a dramaqueen, maryjane.

Bye Bye

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:04 AM
ARTchitecture

When are they gonna start the curvey wall!?!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
When are they gonna start the curvey wall!?!
Soon, I hope! It's all framed out, they just have to install the brick/glass facade.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:32 AM

I can't wait to see the glass all done, I really like the colour of it. I love dark office buildings for some reason, like the Bow in Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 2:43 AM

I agree, I can't wait to see all the different textures on the building

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

I honestly did not notice the happy face. I have also criticized and used sarcasm, it's not a big deal to differ in opinion but it's important to be understood. That's discussion and debate, and it happens most everywhere in the forum.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:13 AM

Quote:

It's great to take strong positions, but when you do, you have to expect at times an equally strong response.

That being said, you have been the catalyst to many discussions which I quite enjoyed. Hopefully you'll rejoin things later on. Cheers MR. JJ

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 9:33 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:

There are people here who have made themselves look bad lately. I don't consider you to be one of them.

Cheers.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:05 PM

^ funny how none of had issues with each other over the last couple of years though, not along ago someone mentioned how on other forums there's always fighting but not here.

Anyways more importantly I drove down Nw Gower earlier this morning and Fortis looked great. It won't be much longer till all the glass is finished. I do wish it had been taller though.

Maybe we could wrote Fortis and tell them to add a few extra stories before they finish!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:
I've always respected your opinion, even when it didn't agree with mine. You do form very strong opinions, but it's usually backed up with examples and evidence... which is what I respect. I think it's good to have someone on the forums whose opinions don't coincide with the status quo, it makes for some enlightening discussions. Hopefully you'll join us again after a brief hiatus.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 2:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Aww, guys. Group hug?

MrJane, I hope you won't leave. Especially not under circumstances where you feel bullied and hurt. I don't believe that was anyone's intention.

It's natural for you and others to have strong opinions about the subjects we discuss here. How we express those opinions affects how others interact with us - rightly or wrongly.

Whatever your interactions with specific members, the forum won't be made better by your leaving. We should all just try to stay cordial and on topic.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:40 PM

OMG I just saw that they a have put in black glass going up the middle of the columns (the wood part) (I'm assuming it's where the stair wells are) and like I said they have started the prep work for the wood

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's