HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 1:38 AM

I think the bond resolution for the convention center is just the ability to give bonds to collect money to build all forms of improvement. If the resolution is approved the convention center can use those bonds to build all of the features within their proposal. If the its is smart they will approve the proposal by the W and their capital group and allow them to handle the WTC site and allow the convention center to just use bonds to help build out the rest of their plan, kills two birds with one stone and at least shows some fairness in the proposal process.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Not sure why the CityBusiness article is locked when the same information is available for free at the Advocate.

http://theadvocate.com/news/6153592-...on-new-central

And Stirling's own site:
https://stirlingproperties.wordpress...ew-orleans-la/
Here's the link with some great pictures! I love softening the parking structure by capping it with vine walls.

http://stirlingproperties.propertyca...tplace/#photos

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 5:20 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotenep View Post
I think the bond resolution for the convention center is just the ability to give bonds to collect money to build all forms of improvement. If the resolution is approved the convention center can use those bonds to build all of the features within their proposal. If the its is smart they will approve the proposal by the W and their capital group and allow them to handle the WTC site and allow the convention center to just use bonds to help build out the rest of their plan, kills two birds with one stone and at least shows some fairness in the proposal process.
This is what should happen... Maybe use some funds to improve ferry access etc but it would seem to free up funds to use uprive

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 8:09 AM
TL;DR

The other big news article yesterday mentioned that the "save the ferries" bill will include a few million in state funding that will leverage $16-$20 million in Federal grants, for new boats and new terminals. I'm not sure whether this is guaranteed formula funding from the Feds or whether we have to compete for it with other cities and states.

RTA will need redesigned facilities with turnstiles once they start charging fares, and hopefully the new East Bank terminal will accommodate a riverwalk connection somehow.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 2:34 PM

Not sure if this news was ever "firmed up," but there is now a Pizza Hut sign up at Mid-City Market. That means that Bienville/Carrollton will have the "Big 3" (Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut) all within a block, and nearby Italian Pie, Theo's, and Venezia.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:36 PM

UMC question

Does anyone know what the building going up on the corner of Tulane and Claiborne as part of the new hospital is supposed to be when finished? It's next to the power plant but too massive to be a support building for it. And it isn't on any of the planning documents that I could find.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 9:52 PM
-

North Rampart Street and Basin Street Sidewalk Enhancements-Saenger Theatre Renewal Project

http://www.purchasing.cityofno.com/b...Url=activeBids

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:51 PM
TL;DR

Interesting. The brick color is Mulberry. So glad it's not that obnoxious bright red... this isn't f'n Colonial Williamsburg.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The other big news article yesterday mentioned that the "save the ferries" bill will include a few million in state funding that will leverage $16-$20 million in Federal grants, for new boats and new terminals. I'm not sure whether this is guaranteed formula funding from the Feds or whether we have to compete for it with other cities and states.

RTA will need redesigned facilities with turnstiles once they start charging fares, and hopefully the new East Bank terminal will accommodate a riverwalk connection somehow.
Glad to hear that things are looking good for the ferries!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 4:07 PM

New construction webcams!!!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 8:57 PM

Dixie Brewery

I no longer live in New Orleans.

Does anyone know the status of the Dixie Brewery building? The last I heard, there was a possibility the VA would remove part of the building. Hopefully that landmark building could be saved.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I no longer live in New Orleans.

Does anyone know the status of the Dixie Brewery building? The last I heard, there was a possibility the VA would remove part of the building. Hopefully that landmark building could be saved.
If you notice in the webcam I posted above - VA Hospital (Canal St. View) http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...b-5ad2d9b22317 - The Dixie Brewery building is actively being renovated and incorporated into the new VA Hospital. It will be research labratories.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:12 PM

Save the WTC! (W Hotel Plan!)

Seems there is a marketing/PR campaign for the W Hotel development plan at the WTC.

They are also on Facebook: http://savewtcnola.com/

This is my preferred proposal our of all three, and I hope that the Tricentennial plan is just insurance by local interests and not a power play. I would much rather them use their newly granted Bond issuing privileges to develop up river than there.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Seems there is a marketing/PR campaign for the W Hotel development plan at the WTC.

They are also on Facebook: http://savewtcnola.com/

This is my preferred proposal our of all three, and I hope that the Tricentennial plan is just insurance by local interests and not a power play. I would much rather them use their newly granted Bond issuing privileges to develop up river than there.
I Think this is the most favorable of the three proposals, but...unfortunately I’m not the biggest fan of the Ferris wheel. A pedestrian ferry landing would be far more usable than something so touristy, (my opinion) but I think landing at Spanish Plaza on the ferry is a far more inviting and pleasant entrance to New Orleans than the current ferry landing. It would be great if the revolving lounge was kept open to the public and rebuilt into two decks to handle more patrons, maybe one for a restaurant and the other for a lounge. The view up there is really impressive and the old glass exterior elevator on the upriver side was also a nice uninterrupted ride to the top with a great view.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalt51 View Post
I Think this is the most favorable of the three proposals, but...unfortunately I’m not the biggest fan of the Ferris wheel. A pedestrian ferry landing would be far more usable than something so touristy, (my opinion) but I think landing at Spanish Plaza on the ferry is a far more inviting and pleasant entrance to New Orleans than the current ferry landing. It would be great if the revolving lounge was kept open to the public and rebuilt into two decks to handle more patrons, maybe one for a restaurant and the other for a lounge. The view up there is really impressive and the old glass exterior elevator on the upriver side was also a nice uninterrupted ride to the top with a great view.
I just hope whatever they do they keep SP intact...and I personally can't stand Ferris wheels, but they do look nice.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:22 AM

I hope the building is imploded to smithereens. There is plenty enough of other land for ANOTHER hotel as if we had a shortage of rooms.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
I hope the building is imploded to smithereens. There is plenty enough of other land for ANOTHER hotel as if we had a shortage of rooms.
You definitely won't be getting your wish. If the building is demolished, it will have to be painstakingly dismantled piece by piece, as imploding it would block the railroad that passes underneath it, which won't be allowed to happen.

And whatever you might think of the number of hotels, I can assure you that there really IS a shortage of rooms, particularly any time there's an event of any significance in town.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:39 AM

Of the three, the W Hotel/Residences proposal is the best. It's the most professional of the three, and also appears to have been thought out fairly meticulously. It's obvious there was actual work that went into this proposal. It will also be the most cost/time efficient of the proposals.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:45 AM

Fine. Tear it down piece by piece. I'm comforted by the fact that Mitch has previously called for the building to be destroyed. If he changed his mind, so be it I'll move on.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 4:02 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalt51 View Post
I agree with all of this, although I don't know how much cachet revolving restaurants have anymore. It might be better to rebuild as an open-air restaurant and lounge with pool deck. (then again, the winds at that altitude are probably heavy).

The redevelopment of Spanish Plaza is a suggestion, basically. Gatehouse makes the case that the building's current value is near-zero, but they are agreeing to pay $10M upfront for a long term lease if the city invests the proceeds in Spanish Plaza renovations and streetscaping. Spanish Plaza is owned by the city and Gatehouse is not asking to lease it themselves, although the plaza is currently leased to Howard Hughes/Riverwalk.

Because the city would be in charge of the plaza renovation, there's no guarantee it will be built as displayed in the proposal. In fact, I highly doubt the Ferris wheel will come to fruition, because $10M is not enough to buy a signature Ferris wheel, and the city doesn't have any other sources of funding. I'm really, really hoping they restore the original Spanish Plaza marble paving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations