HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 1:15 AM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Wow. Great idea. Good luck.
Hah, thanks for the quoted info, guess I glossed over the end bit. And thanks for the encouragement! You too, emge. I'm intending on becoming somewhat of a regular around here so I'll definitely keep you posted.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 6:04 PM
Needs more coffee...

I've contacted Starbucks more than once pointing out the places (like Gore Park) where a store would be successful and the demand for it. I don't know if it really does anything, but you get enough people's interest in an area and asking for it, it could tip the scales to where they put the next Hamilton-area one.

James North I'd love to see something independent, but for Gore Park, I think a chain is the way to go.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 6:42 PM

I'm a little surprised there isn't a Coffee Culture in downtown Hamilton. They seem to be aggressively targeting local downtowns. Definitely has a Starbucks-esque ambience/attitude, but is a local chain, at least. (Woodstock Ontario based, I believe.) http://coffeeculture.ca

Definitely not what's wanted for James North though. I for one love going to the Portuguese bakery/cafe on James, and if I move to the area will probably frequent the Portuguese bars as well. Not sure why you'd need anything else, though I don't know the nature of their coffee sourcing, so that's a concern at a level of supply chain ethics, but other than that, its much more "authentic" than a hipster-oriented "European-style" cafe. Why get a "European-style cafe" when there are actual European cafes already there? We're talking about a neighbourhood with an espresso machine in every other establishment.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABBATICAL! View Post
Why get a "European-style cafe" when there are actual European cafes already there? We're talking about a neighbourhood with an espresso machine in every other establishment.
Exactly what I was going for. If someone needs a less ethnic/international, less urban version of James North (eg. "a European-style cafe without the pesky Europeans"), there's always Locke Street.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 10:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
If someone needs a less ethnic/international, less urban version of James North (eg. "a European-style cafe without the pesky Europeans"), there's always Locke Street.

Oh God, too true. Locke is great, but it's pretty mangiacake.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:37 AM
Needs more coffee...

Who knows, perhaps there's room for both a chain, the existing shops, and some new independents eventually - different levels of engagement for those with different levels of familiarity and comfort.

That Coffee Culture chain makes me laugh. The one in St. Thomas is across from my mother-in-law's work, so we've met her there before... and it's great, because for a city like St. Thomas filled with Tim's-drinking-retirees, it's so easily accessible and comfortable for those who have never been in anything besides a Tim Hortons.

It's almost like they take all the most anonymous, forgettable things about most coffee shops, with nothing to define what their niche market is at all. Sure, you can get your coffee or tea or sandwich or cappucino or whatever else, but there's really no unique draw, terms or beverages --- anything that makes one learn that shop's culture or terminology or remember anything definite, at least in that one I've been in.

Maybe it would be perfect for Hamilton after all...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:49 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I've contacted Starbucks more than once pointing out the places (like Gore Park) where a store would be successful and the demand for it. I don't know if it really does anything, but you get enough people's interest in an area and asking for it, it could tip the scales to where they put the next Hamilton-area one.

James North I'd love to see something independent, but for Gore Park, I think a chain is the way to go.
There's a good reason why there are only a couple of Starbucks in this city, they have done their research. They realized that there are not enough stupid people in this city willing to pay $5 or $6 for a coffee just to be trendy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:16 PM

Heh. And if there were a market for it, maybe the Tim Hortons could just start selling lattes and such, like they do at a number of the downtown Toronto locations. Who needs a Starbucks!

Biggest thing it would do for downtown Hamilton is make suburban Hamiltonians say "Hey, it can't be that bad if there's a Starbucks..."

An H&M would have a similar (probably better) effect.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
That Coffee Culture chain makes me laugh. [...]
It's almost like they take all the most anonymous, forgettable things about most coffee shops, with nothing to define what their niche market is at all. Sure, you can get your coffee or tea or sandwich or cappucino or whatever else, but there's really no unique draw, terms or beverages --- anything that makes one learn that shop's culture or terminology or remember anything definite, at least in that one I've been in.

Maybe it would be perfect for Hamilton after all...
HAHA. Yikes. So accurate. But in a way, I prefer their non-pretention to the psuedo-ethnic "luxury experience" of a SB. I'll tell you what makes me go back to Coffee Culture here in Brantford:
1. Comfortable! Patio / armchairs / fireplace.
2. I'm a freelance web producer. Outlets + free wifi + 53cent coffee refills + long open hours = workplace.
3. 20 feet from the Arts Block.

Top reasons I would stop going in a FLASH if there were an alternative.
1. Kenny G playing all day, every day.
2. Kenny G playing all day, every day.
3. Kenny G playing all day, every day.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:29 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The art cluster is fantastic, but I would like to see a more mixed use. H&M in that teal coloured facade building on the west side would be a good start to more clothing retail.

I'm not a huge coffee shop fan, (i personally don't drink coffee all day long) some sentiment is apparent that all a stretch of commercial needs is a cool cafe. It's good but my guess is that Starbucks, Tim Hortons et al have done their research and haven't found it to be an economically viable location. My thoughts are bring more foot traffic with more types of retail and the cafes will appear. Cafes are what's called a 'parasite' retail, not 'destination'. More destination stores are needed first. Like foodcourts in malls, people don't visit a mall for the foodcourt, but for other destination reasons then patrons decide to have lunch or coffee.

The other option would be to bring a lot more local residents to the area and the destinations become less important bc the cafes become local hangouts, basically extensions of their own home.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:30 PM

Quote:
HAHA. Yikes. So accurate. But in a way, I prefer their non-pretention to the psuedo-ethnic "luxury experience" of a SB. I'll tell you what makes me go back to Coffee Culture here in Brantford:
1. Comfortable! Patio / armchairs / fireplace.
2. I'm a freelance web producer. Outlets + free wifi + 53cent coffee refills + long open hours = workplace.
3. 20 feet from the Arts Block.

Top reasons I would stop going in a FLASH if there were an alternative.
1. Kenny G playing all day, every day.
2. Kenny G playing all day, every day.
3. Kenny G playing all day, every day.
Coffee Culture is springing up in all sorts of neat places. There's one on Jarvis St in Fort Erie.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
The art cluster is fantastic, but I would like to see a more mixed use. H&M in that teal coloured facade building on the west side would be a good start to more clothing retail.
I had this exact thought looking at that building! Looks like an American Apparel store. Haha... What was in it previously? Seriously, though — H&M would NOT belong on James North. Down at Gore Park, yes. I think the owner of James Market uses it for storage right now, but that whole stretch is up for sale if you ask nicely.

Quote:
My thoughts are bring more foot traffic with more types of retail and the cafes will appear. Cafes are what's called a 'parasite' retail, not 'destination'. More destination stores are needed first. Like foodcourts in malls, people don't visit a mall for the foodcourt, but for other destination reasons then patrons decide to have lunch or coffee.
This is true, but to some extent cafes have become destinations since they are such a lifestyle fixture. I know people who used to drive all the way from Brantford out to Ancaster just to get some Starbucks more than once a week. Weeeird. I'll often go downtown just to hang out at a cafe.

Quote:
The other option would be to bring a lot more local residents to the area and the destinations become less important bc the cafes become local hangouts, basically extensions of their own home.
Yes. This is the best scenario. Then you get real community built around your 'third places'. I really wish I lived near a decent (and affordable) cafe/bakery; one of the reasons I'm seriously contemplating a move to somewhere close to James North (as evidenced by this thread: http://stillepost.ca/boards/index.php?topic=126411)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 3:22 PM

Coming from Brantford to Meadowlands Starbucks? wow. Is that bc there isn't a SB in Brantford?

A good example of destination and parasite retail is the Chapters/Starbucks combo.

I agree maybe not H&M but for sure a fashion retail store. American Apparel is perfect. Just like the two-floor AA on College St. Even London has an AA now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Coming from Brantford to Meadowlands Starbucks? wow. Is that bc there isn't a SB in Brantford?

A good example of destination and parasite retail is the Chapters/Starbucks combo.

I agree maybe not H&M but for sure a fashion retail store. American Apparel is perfect. Just like the two-floor AA on College St. Even London has an AA now.
To be honest I think that would be gentrifying the street too quickly to have a store like American Apparel on it. I'm not sure what chain store I'd be comfortable with in there, personally. I'd rather see James Street develop into a Kensington Market-style ecology of businesses. Vintage, alternative, and independents.

And as for the Starbucks commuters, this was prior to Brantford's Starbucks opening last year. Blue Dog Coffee Roasters also opened, as well as another Williams and a Coffee Culture, all within about a 6 month period, so I'm not sure how many people would do that commute anymore, but they did!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I had this exact thought looking at that building! Looks like an American Apparel store. Haha... What was in it previously?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:22 PM

Two storey biway? That must've been the ritz.
Actually, that building would make a great coworking studio. Big windows, open space...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 11:14 PM

A BiWay.... I don't remember that. When was that? Like 20 years ago and it hasn't been anything since. That's what I'm saying.... what's the opposite of godspeed?

Gentrifying too quickly you say? Maybe another 20 years will still be too fast for Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:05 PM
Closed account

Some words of wisdom on the Hotel Hamilton:

http://stephanievegh.ca/blog/2009/07...otel-hamilton/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
It's Hammer Time

Recent James North developments

195 James St. N., Hotel Hamilton

Four Hamilton businessmen will spend about $1 million to turn the former lodging house and 120-year-old hotel at the corner of Mulberry into studios for artists with four storefronts on street level.

174 James St. N., Mixed Media

Dave Kuruc and Teresa Devries moved their thriving art supply shop further north into a derelict building at Cannon they bought and renovated. Adjoining spaces now include the White Elephant vintage shop and Downtown Bike Hounds.

170-174 James St. N.

Architect and downtown advocate John Mokrycke restored the three-storey building that once housed a jeweller, laundromat and christening shop. The storefronts now house Tribal Gallery, Woodpecker Handi Craft Gallery and Atomica Tattoo. Mokrycke lives on the top floor.

146 James St. N., La Petite Spa

Gary Buttrum and Kieran Dickson partnered to buy the former European Meat Market. They renovated the storefront and apartments upstairs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues