HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting. The Trillium looks nice in that picture too.

Halifax looks a bit dull at night but it seems to be getting better. I think the empty lots are part of the problem; at night they're just black holes or ugly orange pits illuminated by sodium lights. Imagine the difference walking along the typical Argyle/Blowers/SGR route with the new library and Nova Centre. Some of the new Barrington projects will probably have an impact as well, and it would be nice to see more flood lighting on heritage buildings similar to what was done with the NS Furnishings building.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:28 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
This seemed like the best place to put this...

That is sooo cool... I didn't even recognize that corner for a second.

Its clear, the eastlink building needs to go and that lot needs a smaller scale residential tower.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 12:14 PM

This is great - in my view. A good start towards bringing in some sort of Christmas type festival in the downtown beyond the norm. Perhaps Christmas lights in the Public Gardens? Or why not start with Victoria Park and then go to the public gardens and then it becomes one big festival of lights?

It would be cool if they did something like that along the waterfront too. That way the navy ships don't just get into it, it's the whole boardwalk![/QUOTE]

I think we could do a big festival of lights in the Public Gardens for the holiday season. Possibly we could charge admission or take donations or various sponsors could also do displays under certain lighted trees, or certain clear spots. Could be a great event with music and food included. The fact that the gardens was used during Nocturne shows the gardens could be used at nite. What a great spot for a New Year's event.

I also wonder about the possibility of a holiday boat parade in the harbor. Boat parades are tremendously popular down south. Yes, it is much warmer but Haligonians don't seem deterred by colder weather for other events. The navy of course could be major participants.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I think we could do a big festival of lights in the Public Gardens for the holiday season. Possibly we could charge admission or take donations or various sponsors could also do displays under certain lighted trees, or certain clear spots. Could be a great event with music and food included. The fact that the gardens was used during Nocturne shows the gardens could be used at nite. What a great spot for a New Year's event.

I also wonder about the possibility of a holiday boat parade in the harbor. Boat parades are tremendously popular down south. Yes, it is much warmer but Haligonians don't seem deterred by colder weather for other events. The navy of course could be major participants.
My thought would be to start out small; like I said earlier. Keep this projection, get some of the businesses along Spring Garden to help sponsor and just do Victoria Park up with lights. See if a tree could be put where the fountain is and have choirs sing and take local food bank donations or something and then work up. As it becomes more popular, look at the public gardens (this will likely require a much bigger amount of sponsorship, some installation of electrical conduits in some of the park and possibly the paving of some of the pathways for safety).

But the idea of a boat parade might work better if they were stationary but there were boat tours? All the navy ships, plus the boardwalks and other ships?

The only catch with this projection thing is if the L shaped development that has been talked about goes ahead, this blank wall might not be scene anymore. So the project becomes less likely? But something smaller might work too...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

The only catch with this projection thing is if the L shaped development that has been talked about goes ahead, this blank wall might not be scene anymore. So the project becomes less likely? But something smaller might work too...
Doesn't the film festival have a transportable outdoor projection screen? Perhaps they could help sponsor this sort of thing, and erect the screen in Victoria Park or the Public Gardens.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:01 AM

This could be some sort of concert or festival.

Quote:
Few details on ‘major event’ set for HRM
February 9, 2013 - 5:12pm BY THE CHRONICLE HERALD

Politicians will be in downtown Halifax on Monday heralding a planned public presentation for the metro area.

Provincial Tourism Minister Percy Paris, who’s also responsible for economic and rural development, “will join Halifax Regional Municipality Mayor Mike Savage to announce support for a major event,” said a news advisory issued Friday.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...nt-set-for-hrm

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 7:25 PM

Halifax to host CCMA's in 2015

The story is here (CH online).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 1:19 AM

Tomorrow is the first ever Get Down on Barrington. Come out for an awesome street party right downtown on Barrington Street!
http://www.facebook.com/events/48287..._mall_activity

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 5:26 PM

It dawned one me recently that the number of festivals, events and parades has been going up in HRM. So I wanted to take a moment to try to list them off, to get a sense of what we have and then start looking at some new ideas. If I've missed any, please let me know.
  • Buskers Festival;
  • Jazzfest;
  • Open Doors Halifax (new);
  • Recent bike day (Sunday - don't know the name);
  • Pride Festival/Parade;
  • NS International Tattoo;
  • Tall ships (usually every 3 years);
  • Natal day;
  • Canada Day;

I know I've missed a few - so if we could try to compile a more complete list; that would be helpful.

In terms of ideas, here is my thoughts so far:
  • Do we not have a food festival? If not - we need to organize one.
  • What about a downtown restaurant festival? We have it here in Calgary called 'Taste of Calgary' - you buy coupons and get little samples of the menu, it's awesome!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 7:28 PM

The "recent bike day" was "Switch! Open Streets", though it wasn't a bike-only event (Agricola was closed to cars and open to bikes, walkers, skaters, etc.).

Don't forget Nocturne for that list!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 8:31 PM

I also forgot Greekfest and the Multi-cultural festival.
One event that Calgary has (which is quite fun) is the Sun and Salsa event - there seems to be a large number of "Mexican type" restaurant along the 10 Street/Kensington BRZ area.

Here is the website for "Taste of Calgary" which I suggested earlier.

One thing I'd love to see happen is a focus on a Exhibition Park to become something greater. I realize that there is an exhibition (along the lines of the Capital Exhibition in Edmonton); but this could be so much bigger and better. Do I think it could be a stampede-esque event? Likely no - but let's aim big and see what it can be. This is also a great site for a new amusement park - rides, the whole nine yards. Waterpark? Why not an indoor waterpark? Try to aim for a year long operation...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment