HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 12:26 AM

The former AT&T building has been sold to a company called VCP City Center. They have plans to put 300 apartments, restaurants, and office space. It is a 700,000 square foot building that should bring new life to the 19th street and 6th avenue N. area.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 3:57 PM
Burming Hammer

A couple of 7-story apartment complexes coming to Parkside, mostly geared towards UAB students:

UAB student housing coming to downtown Birmingham

Apartment project in Parkside takes step forward

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:42 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:12 PM
Burming Hammer

Construction starts on UAB high-rise housing

rendering by The Opus Group, posted on al.com:

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:14 PM
Burming Hammer

And... another one.

Parkside and 5 Points are the residential hotspots of late. This is right behind Baker's Row (towards I-65)... not far from the Denham Building.

Large apartment development in works for Parkside

A 268-unit apartment development is tapped for a prime site near Railroad Park and Regions Field.

Birmingham's Design Review Committee this week gave conceptual approval for a planned multifamily development at 1204 First Ave. S. Novare Group, a commercial real estate firm based in Atlanta, will develop the project with architect Niles Bolton Associates providing design. The developers will have to come back for materials and signage approvals at a later date.

DRC documents show the development would consist of two buildings as well as a parking garage on site with approximately 344 spaces. The two buildings would each be five stories tall and contain studio, 1- and 2-bedroom apartments. The average unit size is 777 square feet.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Looks great! I can't wait for more establishments to open up shop along the rotary trail; it has a lot of potential to be an amazing night-life hotspot.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:13 PM
Burming Hammer

Birmingham’s Mercantile on Morris offers residential, retail flair

pic from al.com:

pic from their FB page:

"Mercantile on Morris will have 49 residential condos with micro, one-bedroom and two-bedroom options ranging from 281 to 961 square feet. Each condo will feature high ceilings and provide access to a private terrace overlooking the pedestrian plaza."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:38 PM

^ Nice Birmingham update-thanks man.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

TimCity!!!! Thanks for keeping this thread fresh! I have just been so busy with work that the time I used to spend racing around town to document construction progress has fallen to a personal level of disgrace.

Looks like you’ve be keeping up with s***!!! Good job on you! I look forward to resuming my own responsibilities!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:17 PM
Burming Hammer

UAB Science and Engineering Complex moving ahead

From the al.com article:

The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees has given approval for planning to begin on the first building in UAB’s planned Science and Engineering Complex.

The $64.5 million building, granted Stage I approval, will house the Biology and Physics departments, instructional space and labs for the Department of Chemistry, and will replace the current Education Building. Providing 115,000 square feet of classroom, lab and administrative space, the new building will be located on 14th Street South between University Boulevard and 10th Avenue South.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
UAB Science and Engineering Complex moving ahead

From the al.com article:

The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees has given approval for planning to begin on the first building in UAB’s planned Science and Engineering Complex.

The $64.5 million building, granted Stage I approval, will house the Biology and Physics departments, instructional space and labs for the Department of Chemistry, and will replace the current Education Building. Providing 115,000 square feet of classroom, lab and administrative space, the new building will be located on 14th Street South between University Boulevard and 10th Avenue South.
There are usually 4 stages of approval for all projects in University of Alabama System by the Board of Trustees before ground is broken and construction starts. The Board meets quarterly, so it could be up to a year if all goes well with approval process.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:28 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Finally... the first precast bridge segment has been put into place for the downtown viaduct. There are SO many bridge supports already completed, ready to receive the precast segments. I tell yah, from what I've seen driving by the airport where they've been staging the segments.... onces the contractor gets into the groove, I think're we're gonna see some pretty fast bridge building.

Also, lemme tell you, the deck of the new bridges carying 20/59 through downtown are like... twice as high as the old bridges. I still wish the interstate could have been placed below grade, but I understand the couldn't do it because of capacity and engineering difficults. However, I think it will do wonders to bring more sunlight underneath the viaduct and really give the planned linear park below a good chance to thrive.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:05 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Drove by the construction site for the new residential tower in Five Points South today! There's some serious site/foundation prep going on. Things are moving along!

I can't wait to see how prominent this tower will be on the southern skyline. Definitely going to do wonders for the Five Points S district when it is complete, though.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Drove by the construction site for the new residential tower in Five Points South today! There's some serious site/foundation prep going on. Things are moving along!

I can't wait to see how prominent this tower will be on the southern skyline. Definitely going to do wonders for the Five Points S district when it is complete, though.
There are rods coming up from the ground, the workers have dug a hole to pour cement for the base of the crane.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
There are rods coming up from the ground, the workers have dug a hole to pour cement for the base of the crane.
The first section of the crane is in place.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:24 PM
Burming Hammer

^glad to hear it, now that the vesta crane and 1 of the children's hospital cranes have come down.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:25 PM
Burming Hammer

another prominent vacant eyesore on the skyline about to get brought back to life:

$24 million American Life building renovation kicks off Birmingham’s opportunity zone initiatives

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
^glad to hear it, now that the vesta crane and 1 of the children's hospital cranes have come down.
U.A.B. has a crane up on 16th street and 10th avenue for the four and six story part of the new dorm and I am sure they will put up another taller one for the
two eight story parts of the dorm on 17th street and 10th avenue. I am also thinking when they finish putting in the sewer down by 20 Midtown, phase three will be getting construction started again with 2 more cranes.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 11:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

rendering by The Opus Group, posted on al.com:

Tower crane is going up at The Opus Group's work site in Five Points S.

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Apr 23, 2019 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 12:09 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, I work in a building in downtown that has a view of both Vulcan and Electra. I'd hate for this new tower to block any view of Vulcan from the eastern side of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations