HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Just moving some stuff at the back.
As in moving the building? It looks like they'd have to demolish part of the building to fit in the second platform.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
As in moving the building? It looks like they'd have to demolish part of the building to fit in the second platform.
I think he meant bumping info from the back of the thread.

Yes, part of the store will have to be demolished to make room for the station expansion.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:55 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
They said it would be remodeled, from this document I assume they'll add that front space and then work on the longer term redevelopment of their property.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/broadw...n-part-b-c.pdf

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:44 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Wow. They're basically going to rebuild the whole block.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:30 PM
dazzle me

man, hopefully it's not just another low rise building that they put up for the new safeway.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 7:13 PM

Strange, though, if they retain the front addition and add it on to the new Safeway - will that narrow addition be excavated for underground parking? Or would there be a barrier under it wrt connectivity of the site underground?

i.e. if one of the future towers is an office tower or larger shopping mall or even a theatre, shared parking may be useful to reduce overall requirements (yes, I know it's next to a SkyTrain station, but they'll still build parking). If the towers are just condos, then it wouldn't be an issue as condo parking would be kept separate.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 12:35 AM

Main Street Skytrain Station reno coming along
Photo credit: me

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 6:41 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Glad Main St. is almost done! Train2Main is getting annoying, but the new walls are looking great.

When they start on Metrotown, I'm just going to forget for a while that the station ever existed. I usually take my bike to Patterson anyway. Does anyone know if the fully updated Metrotown station is going to allow bikes? I'm hoping....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
When they start on Metrotown, I'm just going to forget for a while that the station ever existed. I usually take my bike to Patterson anyway. Does anyone know if the fully updated Metrotown station is going to allow bikes? I'm hoping....
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Space reasons are pretty much the only reason why bikes aren't allowed on certain parts of the system currently.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Yeah, it will. There will be two elevators in the middle and proper high capacity escalator+stairs at both ends.

For main street station, I hope that this project leads to retail being put into the pedestrian passage from the station base into CityGate.
I've read about residents bitching about scuzzy people loitering there from the skytrain station, but the reason is no retail. Once there is life and action there, it will be a safe and busier passage.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:42 AM

how much longer will there be train2main? several developments completing before end of year so might get really busy

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:50 AM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:48 AM

Looks like construction on the New Westminster Station renovation will begin January 5th. This really should have been done at the same time of the Plaza 88 construction and should have been completed a long time ago.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/279156341.html

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Strange that the translinnk site doesn't have any details.
Sounds good though:

Quote:
Upgrading the stairs and replacing the escalators;

• Replacing the original south elevator and adding openings to increase transparency for passenger safety;

• Better lighting;

• New windscreens;

• Installing a dropped ceiling below the guideway to create a unified concourse and improve acoustics;

• Replacing the platform ceiling with replaceable panels to improve acoustics;

• New speakers;

• New colour palette;

• Adding public art.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
Looks like construction on the New Westminster Station renovation will begin January 5th. This really should have been done at the same time of the Plaza 88 construction and should have been completed a long time ago.

http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/279156341.html
The render shows the station with the same ugly utilitarian walls that been have so nicely replaced at Main Street Station.
I wonder why they are being left that way. They're ugly. It's a shame.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:39 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:52 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
They said it would be remodeled, from this document I assume they'll add that front space and then work on the longer term redevelopment of their property.
When I was growing up that the grocery store that the family always shopped at. Back then Safeway are "reasonably" priced. What is striking about all of this is that is I remember when the Safeway store was in that location and was torn down and moved to its new location.

The same holds for the one on Kingsway. What is it with Safeway, instead of remodeling they just start over in their parking lot.

Whille going down memory lane I remember the old Safeway on Rupert St. Safeway moved out Stong's moved in and about 10 years latter just before the Superstore opened down the road Stong's pulled out and the building was split appear into a café, pizza place and Chinese food store.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 4:46 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Joyce station upgrades going to the DPB in march.

Quote:
5099 Joyce Avenue DE418543
MacFarlane Biggar Architects

To renovate and expand the existing Joyce SkyTrain Station upgrades ncluding a new expanded 875 sqm E Station House with a ticket hall, concourse, escalators, elevator, bike storage room, ancillary spaces and provision for future public bathrooms, exterior surfaces to be reclad, electrical systems replaced, a new public plaza on Vanness Street, kiss and ride, with landscape components and landscape lighting.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Joyce station upgrades going to the DPB in march.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I guess the bike storage locker makes sense because if you're biking in along the BC Parkway then Joyce is the first station inside the 1-zone Boundary. I'd like to see more of these lockers downtown where I could really use them (although that has little to do with Translink).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure