HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:45 PM

This won’t be a concern of mine for too much longer since I only have 27 days left until graduation, but what will it take for Wawa to open a location on/near Temple’s campus? A Wawa in Templetown would EASILY be as crowded (if not more so) as a University City location. Imo, they would fit greatly into the new retail complex of View II. Since the stadium will have a retail component, maybe Broad and Norris? The residents of J&H, 1300, and 1940 would keep that location packed at all hours of the day and night. If they want a location with parking, they could establish a store in Progress Plaza. Wawa really missed a big opportunity when they did not pursue setting up shop in the retail space under Morgan Hall.

During my time as an Owl, I’ve had to take the BSL between classes and go to the Broad and Walnut store (alternatively, walk to 21st and Hamilton) to get my Wawa fix. Why can’t we have what the Penn and Drexel kids have? Temple has over 40,000 students, with over 10,000 living in the surrounding neighborhood. I don’t want to hear them give the “crime” excuse either. They have a store on L and Erie that seems to do fine; in fact, the most shrinkage of all Wawa stores occurs at their store on 17th and Arch.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This won’t be a concern of mine for too much longer since I only have 27 days left until graduation, but what will it take for Wawa to open a location on/near Temple’s campus? A Wawa in Templetown would EASILY be as crowded (if not more so) as a University City location.
Seems inevitable. Just a matter of time. Wawa opened at Broad and Walnut, then 22nd and South, opening on East Chestnut and in the East Market development, and then further down Chestnut in the Public Ledger building. Then those other couple that were just announced in Jayfar's link. They'll get to Temple too, I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:06 PM

I often went to the Wawa off Rittenhouse Square. It was always hopping. Closing the city stores was one of those inexplicable corporate brain cramps. Arch St. never quit humming along but somehow was spared the axe.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It looks like there's something stirring on the concrete plaza in front of Temple Center City across from Dilworth. Maybe I'm just hoping hard for improvements and it's really nothing but anybody know what's going on there?
The preliminary construction work starting next to Three Penn Center is for the second of a pair of elevators connecting the 15th Street Market/Frankford Line stop to street-level. You can see the other elevator's progress nearing completion across Market Street outside Centre Square.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This won’t be a concern of mine for too much longer since I only have 27 days left until graduation, but what will it take for Wawa to open a location on/near Temple’s campus? A Wawa in Templetown would EASILY be as crowded (if not more so) as a University City location. Imo, they would fit greatly into the new retail complex of View II. Since the stadium will have a retail component, maybe Broad and Norris? The residents of J&H, 1300, and 1940 would keep that location packed at all hours of the day and night. If they want a location with parking, they could establish a store in Progress Plaza. Wawa really missed a big opportunity when they did not pursue setting up shop in the retail space under Morgan Hall.

During my time as an Owl, I’ve had to take the BSL between classes and go to the Broad and Walnut store (alternatively, walk to 21st and Hamilton) to get my Wawa fix. Why can’t we have what the Penn and Drexel kids have? Temple has over 40,000 students, with over 10,000 living in the surrounding neighborhood. I don’t want to hear them give the “crime” excuse either. They have a store on L and Erie that seems to do fine; in fact, the most shrinkage of all Wawa stores occurs at their store on 17th and Arch.
When I went there, there was one on Liacouras Walk. It was always insanely busy. Can't believe they closed it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
The preliminary construction work starting next to Three Penn Center is for the second of a pair of elevators connecting the 15th Street Market/Frankford Line stop to street-level. You can see the other elevator's progress nearing completion across Market Street outside Centre Square.
Thanks! Not as exciting as I was hoping for but still good.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
Anyone know when they're shooting to finish that 15th street station?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 11:09 AM

POD Hotel moving along quickly:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:50 PM

Looks like it’ll be abutting the street. Is that Chestnut?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Looks like it’ll be abutting the street. Is that Chestnut?
No it's Ranstead. The back of the hotel will end at Ranstead:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-75.1704964

Boyd's parking lot is across from it and extends to Chestnut:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-75.1704964

That is a prime lot. I hope we see a nice project there someday with underground parking. Boyd's sees the lot as a feature for customers, and it is, but they could get a valet and sell the land contingent on reserved, prime spots in the underground garage for Boyd's customers.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:52 PM

Some pics from 4/14/2018 of the construction of the Fashion District Philadelphia:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 9:33 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyEngineer View Post
Some pics from 4/14/2018 of the construction of the Fashion District Philadelphia:

Still looks like a turd. Wish they would of just re-cladd the entire thing and not just the bottom half.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Still looks like a turd. Wish they would of just re-cladd the entire thing and not just the bottom half.
Also, the bottom half cladding looks like crap. While I agree that function is more important than style for this project, nothing in what I see shaping up or planned particularly makes me want to spend time here. The only exception is the movie theater with cushy seats, food, and booze. I wonder if they will struggle to attract upscale tenants and customers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:43 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I too have been underwhelmed by the renovation, but the thing that keeps really picking at me isn't the exterior aesthetics but the fact that circulation was given a surface-level refit but nothing really deeper. As soon as we saw that 2nd level circulation was fixed in Gallery 1, we breathed a sigh of relief, but from my observations, that's clearly all they did. To me, leaving the walkway between the new BCF and the el stop open reeks of oversight -- why not let BCF just take the entire 800 block basement? There's no particular reason I can think of that a public walkway needs to connect between the main concourse and the el stop, and by claiming that bit of walkway, BCF also gets to claim the escalators down to the basement in front of the old Strawbridge's main entrance for its own main entrance, a rather more dramatic entrance, I'd add, than the corner store they're using now. Allowing them to take the full basement would also allow them to take as much basement space as they needed -- all the way out to the beginning of the 901 Market concourse. And on that note, what about the dinky little concourse between the old Strawbridge's and 9th? That's just so ... not useful, as a mall concourse. Much better would have been to enclose it, expand C21 on the second level (again, to the beginning of the 901 Market concourse), and convert the first level into sales space. Possibly even the leasing office, given how much of a nook it's in. And there's that other ridiculously redundant side concourse right next to the sidewalk by 10th Street! It's obvious that concourse is getting retained, instead of the logical thing -- a new midblock mall entrance enhancing permeability between Market and the main concourse, and conversion of the old side concourse there into useful selling space, space that you can conveniently see into from 10th Street!

Oh, and that balcony with the too-small escalators you needed to use to access either the 2nd or 3rd concourse floors in Gallery I from the Kmart? If you look closely, you'll see ... It's still there! (Granted, that one is a slightly harder nut to crack, but still...)

There's been a lot of mostly fair ballyhooing about aesthetics but so far I think the main way this renovation is coming up short is that it offered an opportunity to completely rethink circulation and access needs throughout the complex, and time and again it's coming up completely short.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
POD Hotel moving along quickly:
What's significant here is that the project broke ground without a cent from the Commonwealth. Did you hear that Dranoff??!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:15 PM

You know -- this could be actually be nice if they'd simply add some either green moss walls or murals to the banks spaces. Add it some trees on top of the building, and it could be attractive/welcoming.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:37 AM
The Doctor Is In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post

You know -- this could be actually be nice if they'd simply add some either green moss walls or murals to the banks spaces. Add it some trees on top of the building, and it could be attractive/welcoming.
This was actually in their first rendering however they had to shelve it because the technology to do so wouldn't be available until 2050.

Edit: Wait, I think I found the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:00 PM

Chocolate Factory at 21st and Washington Sold

The large Chocolate Factory complex at 21st and Washington Ave settled yesterday for $15.5 Million. Not sure who the buyer is but my guess would be OCF as they brokered the deal and property was only one the market for 1 day.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

United Way building on Ben Franklin Parkway sold for $10.9 million to Pearl Properties

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180417.html

Intresting play here from Pearl. IMO, Friends Select should of put a bid in for it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:29 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
United Way building on Ben Franklin Parkway sold for $10.9 million to Pearl Properties

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180417.html

Intresting play here from Pearl. IMO, Friends Select should of put a bid in for it.
Great location for a residential tower!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development