HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
A storage siding in that area could come in quite handy if the Sens arena moves to Lebreton to cue up some trains awaiting the surge in riders at the conclusion of the game.
It would also be useful for things like Canada Day and Bluesfest.

Not sure why they wouldn't put the track in for it now. My only thought is that with Tunnies Pasture being at the end of the line, and these surges happening off peak, they can stockpile trains on one of the existing tracks and then run with single track between Tunnies and Bayview until the extra trains are needed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post

My only thought is that with Tunnies Pasture being at the end of the line, and these surges happening off peak, they can stockpile trains on one of the existing tracks and then run with single track between Tunnies and Bayview until the extra trains are needed.
Good Day.

Except... the crossover (or one of the tracks) east of Tunney's would be blocked, limiting the C-Line to single track service
until the next crossover in the tunnel between Lyon and Parl (as far as I know).
Ooops. Not a good idea.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

Except... the crossover (or one of the tracks) east of Tunney's would be blocked, limiting the C-Line to single track service
until the next crossover in the tunnel between Lyon and Parl (as far as I know).
Ooops. Not a good idea.
Ahh. They would need another crossover just west of Bayview. Without that, you are correct and it won't work. They could easily run single track from Tunney's to Bayview off peak, but not to the tunnel. The other option is to park two (maybe three) double trains on one of the platforms and tail track behind it. That doesn't create a huge amount of reserve capacity though. Given how short the western leg is, it might be enough until the extra trains from the east reach Tunnies.

Speaking of crossovers, why did they install a diamond crossover at Tunney's? There is plenty of room for a standard crossover.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Ahh. They would need another crossover just west of Bayview. Without that, you are correct and it won't work. They could easily run single track from Tunney's to Bayview off peak, but not to the tunnel. The other option is to park two (maybe three) double trains on one of the platforms and tail track behind it. That doesn't create a huge amount of reserve capacity though. Given how short the western leg is, it might be enough until the extra trains from the east reach Tunnies.

Speaking of crossovers, why did they install a diamond crossover at Tunney's? There is plenty of room for a standard crossover.
Good Day.

.... except no tail track at all on west side of Tunney's. It's occupied by that foam-based access bridge from Scott into the new bus loop on the north side.
.... just a stub-end for overrun safety.

The foam bridge will have to be removed and replaced by a real bridge when Phase 2 arrives. It is in discussion for funding between NCC and City.

As for the crossover.... beats me !
They used two separate turnouts over at just west of Blair, so ......

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
.... except no tail track at all on west side of Tunney's. It's occupied by that foam-based access bridge from Scott into the new bus loop on the north side.
.... just a stub-end for overrun safety.
It was that stub-end that I was referring to as the tail track. While that stub-end normally won't be used, I don't see why it couldn't be used for train storage (by using a slower approach) if the active trains are only using the other platform. I estimate the length of track (platform and stub) to be about 200m. That should be enough to store 2 double trains (4 individual trains).

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:43 AM

Good Day. Belfast MSF update.

Passed by the Belfast MSF on Friday, and the temp storage shed at the southeast corner (under the white fabric) seems to be mostly complete.
The end fabric panel was not fully attached, and looking inside had only one track just off-center to the east side of center and an access area (still gravel) on the west side of the track. Given the shape of the roofline of the structure, it appears (contrary to my previous opinion/observation of twin tracks) that this is the final configuration. I am also not sure that they will be putting in an OCS into it - it appears not. This means they will need to push/tow LRVs in-and-out with a mule.
It most definitely appears to be a temp, kept simple, and to be removed when another LMSF is built.
Given the length of the cover structure, it appears it can easily accommodate two LRVs, possibly three.

The main shed extension roof appears complete, and the side/end wall support bars are going into place. No track nor OCS rails installed yet.

The second Operator's track between the shed and the maintenance bldg seems in place,
and the over-the-shed box walkway and south-end staircase seem to be getting fitted-up.

The foundations for the second maintenance bldg on the northeast side appear to be going in, but they are completely under tarp and not visible.

EnJoy!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation