HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
CHUTES PARK

Good eye FW! I didn't notice the theater is missing. (and for some reason I thought the right side of the slide would be West. )

PRE-1901. Now that is sum serious sleuthin'.

just so fun / here's a close up of the photographer's stamp

I'm looking through directories as we speak.

UPDATE:

LAPL / 1902 city directory

I thought Mr. Kennett might have had another gallery downtown.

(now we know he lived at 2107 S. Main Street)
I don't think that Mr. Kennett had any other business locations in Los Angeles. He only appears in directories for three years here as a photographer in 1902, 1903 and 1904. All of these are connected to Chutes Park with the Main Street home address.

In 1901 he was living in San Francisco and was apparently in a partnership with a Mr. Jones. Prior to that, he lived in the Bay Area and was a photographer there.

Luther Whitfield Kennett was born in North Carolina, in August of 1861, just a few months after the start of the Civil War. By 1870 the family lived in Illinois. He married Adeline Riggs in Missouri in 1886. They appear in California, living in the Bay Area when their daughter was born in 1892. They also had a son, born two years later.

His father died in Washington state in 1908 and he is found living there between then and 1919 when his wife died in Marin County, CA.

He is a house carpenter in 1920, living in Sacramento. In 1921 he was admitted to Patton State Hospital, in San Bernardino, where he was treated for epileptic psychosis. He died there in 1936 and because the hospital cemetery was filled by 1930, his body, which was unclaimed, was donated to science at what is now Loma Linda University.

Find A Grave has a photo of him with his five brothers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos