HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:34 AM

I think our skepticism can coexist with the survey results. Perhaps it was the way they asked the question, with quotation marks (something most sane people don't use while talking) and a limited set of choices In a test format. A fabricated test question with a quirky result that doesn't correspond to real speech. I probably would have been one of those skewing the results to something false. From the time I was five in the Midwest, I would have answered New York because I was obsessed with "The City" from an early age and because, duh. But yeah, nobody would ever say that and expect you to know what they were talking about

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
That warm spot is no where near Cincinnati, but almost right over the western parts of Columbus. Just another example of how we get overlooked and treated like the red headed stepchild...

But yes it is odd. And that map is jacked up.
My bad. I was assuming Cincinnati or Columbus, but was admittedly too lazy to look up which city was where.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Even if we do assume that this is true, there is still a stark difference in how the term is being used between New Yorkers and others. To New Yorkers, "the city" is Manhattan, but apparently "the city" means New York City to everyone else.

But I still don't buy it. Is there anyone here who has not ever lived in or near NYC that would assume uttering "the city" meant New York (without context)? I have literally never heard someone say "the city" outside of context and understood them to mean NYC. By context, I mean being in or near the NYC metro area at the time OR having a conversation about New York.
I think this is correct. People are reading the survey question different depending on context. People who know about NYC and the moniker are selecting NYC. I doubt some random person in rural Nebraska is well acquainted with NYC colloquialisms.

Others are reading the question not as a proper name "Gotham", "Bay Area", "Motor City", but as a simple "what is the most commonly referenced major local city"? You see that in that most states are selecting 50-60% other, and the relative proportion of the other is based on the size of the state's dominant metro.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Does anyone in Upstate New York think of "the city" as Toronto?
As a non-proper reference, probably. In Buffalo, likely. Maybe a bit in Rochester too.

Buffalo is 7 hours from NYC and maybe 1.5 hours from Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:11 PM

I'd like to hear it from an Upstater than pure speculation. I doubt they'd say some city in another country is the City of their region, especially one not directly on the border.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:10 PM

Living in Norfolk for the past few years the only term I've heard is "Hampton Roads"....which is pretty much the decided term for this area. The "Bay" or "Bay Area"....I've never heard this in any shape or form.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Living in Norfolk for the past few years the only term I've heard is "Hampton Roads"....which is pretty much the decided term for this area. The "Bay" or "Bay Area"....I've never heard this in any shape or form.
I have no experience of Tidewater VA but you find that usage occasionally in Maryland as in business names and sometimes media references:

https://www.bayareains.com

which is in Annapolis.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:00 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Met any black people--well for most of my working life, in the East Bay, I worked with dozens of them. "The Bay" for people of every race in my aquaintance is, well, the Bay (the body of water) or sometimes short for "the Bay Area", but never meaning just the city of San Francisco. I can see "the Town" possibly referring to Oakland among Oaklanders when in Oakland, which is often called "Oaktown" around "the Bay", but if you referred to "the Town" talking to somebody in San Francisco they'd almost certainly ask you, "Which town?"

I've seen those jerseys--for a couple of bucks at Walgreen's. Wasn't sure if they were authorized by the team. But, of course, they currently play in Oakland and, again, "the Town" may be something used in Oakland by Oaklanders but it isn't used in San Francisco and certainly not FOR San Francisco. When the team moves, we'll see what happens to those jerseys. Interestingly, while "The City" is frequently used in San Francisco, I lately get the sense there's an increasing resentment at the term in the rest of the Bay Area among those who think it suggests anything outside the city is hicksville.

I agree about NorCal. I use it all the time. So does everyone I know.

But here's another one: 4 decades ago when I was driving cross country and CB radio was a "thing", San Francisco was often called "the gay Bay" on CB. I'm not sure if the locals, of which I was not yet one, would have approved.
Maybe the over 70 crowd.
No way, I'm not even half 70, born and raised in SF, went away for school, back for years now. And I've never heard anyone say "The Town" in normal speech to describe Oakland, not even once. Maybe it's a music or sports thing, maybe it's a black thing, maybe it's an Oakland thing, but it's not a California or even Bay Area thing, I can guarantee you.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
No way, I'm not even half 70, born and raised in SF, went away for school, back for years now. And I've never heard anyone say "The Town" in normal speech to describe Oakland, not even once. Maybe it's a music or sports thing, maybe it's a black thing, maybe it's an Oakland thing, but it's not a California or even Bay Area thing, I can guarantee you.
Herb Caen used to mock sprawling San Jose and suburban environs as "L.A. north". Fortunately, the "Sllicon Valley" term has caught on and L.A. has become more citified and vertical. San Franciscans used to be very snobby about not being called "Frisco" by outsiders, but I don't think it bothers anybody much anymore except 80 year old dowagers in Pacific Heights. In the 1960s Berkeley was caled "Bezerkly" by conservatives. I guess that term has faded from use since the days of the free speech movement and People's Park.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 2, 2018 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
I've never heard "The Town" except on Warriors uniforms. I hear Oak-town all the time.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I'd like to hear it from an Upstater than pure speculation. I doubt they'd say some city in another country is the City of their region, especially one not directly on the border.
I'm from Upstate (Utica) and "the city" is NYC but I can't speak for Buffalo or Rochester but they are big enough to be their own "the city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Map source? Or was it totally subjective?

I find it odd that Houston, Cincinnati, lower Mississippi, Nashville, Memphis and the Carolinas are "warm pockets" whose residents supposedly frequently refer to NYC as "The City".

Miami / South Florida makes sense to a degree due to the high level of migration between that area and the Tri-State.
Other than perhaps NYC transplants, no one here refers to anything but Houston as "the city".

Last edited by JManc; May 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
As a non-proper reference, probably. In Buffalo, likely. Maybe a bit in Rochester too.

Buffalo is 7 hours from NYC and maybe 1.5 hours from Toronto.
I highly doubt Toronto being seen as "the city" exists in a widespread way in Buffalo (much less Rochester) for anyone not having close personal ties to Toronto. Which would not be the majority of Buffalonians.

Buffalo is a pretty self-contained city and the border *does* matter, especially when you view it from the U.S. side.

Sure, people in Buffalo are aware of Toronto and many go there regularly for stuff but I doubt it's looming in the consciousness like New York City looms in Albany or Hartford.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:20 PM
video et taceo

There is a sub-set of ROCers, Toronto area mainly, who seem inclined to call Montreal 'Monty'. It's excruciating.

Oblique to all this, residents of Göteborg seem to prefer that anglophones use their city's English name of Gothenburg rather than fucking around with "yutborg", "yootborg", or whatever our approximation sounds like to them.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
There is a sub-set of ROCers, Toronto area mainly, who seem inclined to call Montreal 'Monty'. It's excruciating.
I've never heard this... thankfully.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:29 PM
video et taceo

In Copenhagen, you sometimes will hear a Swede or a Norwegian call it 'Köpen', pronounced something like 'schuh-pen', as in those languages the city's full name of Köpenhamn (Swedish spelling) is pronounced that way.

(Danes use the hard K so København sounds more like "Kuhb'n-haan'.)

There exists a subset of UK expats who will say "Copers". I feel the same way about this as I do "Monty".

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
My bad. I was assuming Cincinnati or Columbus, but was admittedly too lazy to look up which city was where.
That's ok. I was crabby in my response anyway lol. And for some reason, we do tend to get overlooked-just the way it is. I personally have never in my life heard anyone here refer to NYC as "the city". Again I think that whole map thing is jacked up.

I have heard of NYC being referred to in numerous ways, but being referred to as "the city" is not one of them.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:33 PM

was wondering about the warriors' "the town" unis.. weird

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Why is that?

Because of the local accent, I've heard people from Louisiana call it something close to that. Your name is "DatFiyah" -- That Fire

The Saints - "Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?"

It's exaggerated, but to me New Orleans sounds like Noo'Olins or Nu'Olins not Nawlins.
Nawlins was popularized in the media mostly and picked up by clueless visitors who don't have an ear for the local patois. Noo'Olins (sp?) is probably closer to the mark. Frat and Yat both tend to pronounce the name in a close approximation of Noo'Olins. Frat or Uptown locals will work in a bit of the "R" sound for something that sounds like "NuOrLens". A real upper class accent might stress the dipthong and pronounce the name as "Nu OrLeeans". Yat speakers tend to drop the "R". Most locals of all classes tend to mash the "Nu" and the "Or" into something that sounds like "Noir" as in film noir. Nawlins sounds dumb, like somebody might gnaw on a bone. Locals hear this pronounciation and roll their eyes.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You're wrong. You may not be over 70 but your mindset certainly is.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:07 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Most people refer to it as "Chicagoland" and that's fine. . . Winnipeg can continue to call itself the Chicago of Canada and we'll give them a pass because it's the coolest city up there. . .

. . .
"City Nickname(s) That Natives / Locals Despise or Find Corny"

Chicagoland is not a city.

If I was talking to someone and they used "Chicagoland" but the context of their statement was expressly about the city itself I would be confused.

"I live in Chicagoland" - Allowed. But I'd only say that if I live in the suburbs and can't claim to live in Chicago.

"The weather in Chicagoland this week is ___" - Allowed.

"We're touring Chicagoland this Saturday. We're going to see Museum Campus then swing over to Michigan Ave for shopping and The Signature Room" - Weird.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions