HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:23 PM

[Dartmouth] WDC1

The Waterfront Development Corporation is currently doing a massing study for the site that is known as WDC1. It sits in downtown Dartmouth directly across Alderney Drive from Kings Wharf. This site has had a number of proposals over the years, but I think WDCL is anxious to finally see something built.

You can give them your input on different massing studies here: https://my-waterfront.ca/dartmouth/index.php

I tried getting the images on here, but the link wouldn't work and I don't have time to save and repost them all.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:25 PM

My pick out of the 5 options is Option D. The main reasoning is the allowance for the townhouse units as well as the live work units. I would be great to have something animated along Alderney Drive.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:47 PM

I also voted for option D, I too agree it's the best out of those options.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:24 PM

i've picked c only because I feel it would fit in more with kings wharf with its highrises that are right arcoss the street just picture what it would be like driving through all that development it would look like a whole new downtown

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:41 PM

I'm a bit surprised that the high rise is positioned at the portland/king intersection in all iterations. Is there no thought of putting it adjacent to admiralty place? Seems to me it would relate more to that building as well as to the high rises that will be part of king's wharf.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:26 PM

I went with Option B because I like the stepped transition between the lower part of the massing and the tower element. I wouldn't mind seeing a taller tower there, but the transition from 2-4 stories to 20 is a bit jarring.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
I'm a bit surprised that the high rise is positioned at the portland/king intersection in all iterations. Is there no thought of putting it adjacent to admiralty place? Seems to me it would relate more to that building as well as to the high rises that will be part of king's wharf.
I'm assuming they're concerned with shadow in the courtyard and other half of the development in that case.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:44 PM
Honored Member

Here are the small images: (source: https://my-waterfront.ca/dartmouth/index.php ). Option A is the only one that can be built without an amendment to the MPS (according to the WDCL website).

It is difficult to chose just one. Option D has the highest density, but it might end up being scaled down to satisfy nearby residents. Option A is the one that could probably be built the soonest (because a MPS amendment isn't required). If Dartmouth can find the people to fill all these developments (including King's Wharf) in the near future then I would pick option A. I would often select the tallest and most dense, but I like the appearance of option A the most. It might actually look the most impressive from street level.

Option-A-> Option-B-> Option-C-> Option-D-> Option-E->

This is another rendering provided by WDCL:

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 21, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:40 PM

Thanks for posting those Fenwick! Where did you get that second set. I couldn't find them on their website. Looking at it that way I still go for D. Both A and B become too repetitive for me when shown right next to Admiralty Place.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 1:57 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Thanks for posting those Fenwick! Where did you get that second set. I couldn't find them on their website. Looking at it that way I still go for D. Both A and B become too repetitive for me when shown right next to Admiralty Place.
You're welcome. I like the conceptual images that have been proposed by WDCL.

The second set was the pdf link in the first sentence - https://my-waterfront.ca/dartmouth/index.php - it isn't very obvious because they called it the "view PDF of proposed location" - I took a screen capture image and uploaded it to imageshack.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:46 PM

I think the taller ones look good, but i like option B for some reason,

it fits in well and i like the step up.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:56 PM

I think option D is the best and it will look really good when Kings Wharf is done

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:21 PM

I chose option b, It has a more interesting shape and would definitely feel much denser at street level.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 7:02 PM

I also like D. More high towers on the Dartmouth side would look nice. and help define it. I also like the simple design of the tower. Its simple yet classy. No weird curves bulges or bumps they have been putting on high rise buildings these days. D's buildings that make up the rest of the complex are also pretty low which will help prevent the courtyard from becoming a vortex of trapped wind currents.

But really i think they would benefit more from a roofed atrium or common area in the middle of the complex rather than an open courtyard. Which is essentially a large hole in the middle of it all. Also will the parking be underground I hope?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 8:13 PM

Hey guys - I've now managed to get my mom home from the hospital; so I can now enjoy my time in Halifax! I managed to have a look at this the night I got home (before I blew up my mother's poor old computer - long story)...

I managed to vote twice (once from my mom's computer and once from my cousin's place). Personally I liked option D and B. I liked option D because it was the highest density and would work with the king's wharf development and provide good context to support more taller buildings in the area. That being said, B is very sensative to the scale and character of what is there now and has a higher probability (in my mind) of getting accepted.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:02 PM

I think B would be nice if the main tower was as tall as D, and they had it steeply going up. Like keep the levels there now with the step up and make the tower taller.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
I also like D. More high towers on the Dartmouth side would look nice. and help define it. I also like the simple design of the tower. Its simple yet classy. No weird curves bulges or bumps they have been putting on high rise buildings these days. D's buildings that make up the rest of the complex are also pretty low which will help prevent the courtyard from becoming a vortex of trapped wind currents.

But really i think they would benefit more from a roofed atrium or common area in the middle of the complex rather than an open courtyard. Which is essentially a large hole in the middle of it all. Also will the parking be underground I hope?
These are only massing studies. They do not take into consideration any design. I don't believe any architects have been involved yet. Once WDCL is satisfied they will lease the land to a developer who will then hire an architect who will work within the boundaries of the massing that is decided on. So there could be bulges, or atriums, or any other feature you could think of that would be appropriate.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure I like the idea of having another stepped design so prominent in Dartmouth, and so I'm going to say I prefer Option D as well, I see it as the best choice for both the streetscape and the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 1:12 PM

Option A and B looked too much like Admiralty Place, the two side by side looked awkward. I chose D.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth