Back to Basics

New rib installation this morning:

(screen cap from Earthcam HERE )

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:03 PM

PATH/Fail: The Story of the World’s Most Expensive Train Station

http://observer.com/2013/05/pathfail/

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Article about heavy security at the World Trade Centre. The NYPD says it will make the area more welcoming for pedestrians and cyclists. Time will tell.

With Security, Trade Center Faces New Isolation

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rity-measures/

Quote:
The wreckage had not been cleared from ground zero when planners and neighbors began imagining how the devastation of Sept. 11 could be redeemed, in some way, by a new World Trade Center, one that would be fully joined to the rest of Lower Manhattan rather than standing apart in chilling isolation.

Barbed wires and fences have been erected on Vesey St. between Church St. and West Broadway near One World Trade Center.

It was a chance, they believed, to correct a painful planning error of the 1960s, when a lively, jumbled gridiron of riverfront streets, anchored by a clamorous appliance district called Radio Row, was bulldozed into oblivion to create a barren, windswept plaza whose only evident purpose was to serve as a pedestal for the twin towers.

With the blank slate offered by a catastrophic attack, planners, soon joined by the mayor himself, saw a chance to re-establish a great crossroads: Fulton and Greenwich Streets, tying the second World Trade Center into New York — north, south, east and west.
Quote:
The police plan calls for nine guard booths, each about 6 by 12 feet in area and 11 feet tall. Eight street intersections would be restricted by a double barricade system known as a sally port, from 30 to 160 feet long. The trade center site would also be bounded by bollards, the barrier posts that have cropped up around many important structures since 2001.
Quote:
But the Police Department argued that the measures allow for plenty of public access. “The campus security plan will not isolate the World Trade Center from the Lower Manhattan community,” said Richard C. Daddario, the deputy police commissioner for counterterrorism. In fact, he said, it would make the site a more desirable for pedestrians and bicyclists, who will be able to pass freely. That, in turn, might knit it more seamlessly into the fabric of downtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 12:21 PM

Article from the post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...oC0qpkU5zKXPyJ

Path says ‘eye’ do
WTC $3.7B terminal will host catered affairs
By LOIS WEISS

Get a look at what could be the most expensive catering hall in the world.

The $3.74 billion World Trade Center PATH terminal — a Santiago Calatrava-designed centerpiece known as the Oculus — will be rented out for such events as charity fundraisers, art shows and, yes, maybe even weddings, The Post has learned.

The eye-shaped, multistory space — so large it can fit two-and-a-half Grand Central Terminals inside — has been beset with runaway costs since it was first dreamed up about nine years ago.

The Port Authority envisioned a grand transportation hub akin to Penn Station or Grand Central — but commuters will have to deal with parts of it being closed at times for private events.

To ensure the events are as dramatic as the design, special infrastructure, including screens, lighting and sound systems, will be installed.

“It will be more than transformational,” said Tara Stacom, a vice chairman of Cushman & Wakefield, which is the leasing agent for the connected One World Trade Center.

The Westfield Group will lease and operate the retail and venue space.

While still in the works, the expectation is that Westfield will create a year-round calendar of events.

The added private events could help increase revenue received by the Port Authority — which will go to offset the massive cost of the new hub.

The PATH station is being developed and paid for by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the WTC grounds.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
New rib installation this morning:

(screen cap from Earthcam HERE )
Are the cylindrical openings at the eastern and western ends elevator shafts?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Article about heavy security at the World Trade Centre. The NYPD says it will make the area more welcoming for pedestrians and cyclists. Time will tell.

With Security, Trade Center Faces New Isolation

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rity-measures/

So all that work to "restore" the urban grid and they go ahead and barricade it all off?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:25 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
So all that work to "restore" the urban grid and they go ahead and barricade it all off?
That's only for vehicles. Pedestrians will have open access.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:38 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Workers install marble floors at WTC Transportation Hub East West connector that will be lined with retail.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 9:59 PM

When do you think we will get the chance to see renders for the performing arts center and 6 WTC?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 10:59 PM

^^^
Dat Marble...

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 11:04 PM

The marble's looking great, but the station better be $4 BILLION GREAT!

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
When do you think we will get the chance to see renders for the performing arts center and 6 WTC?
Construction on the performing arts center should start once the Path station is finished in 2015, so my guess is sometime next year we'll have a clearer picture of what it's gonna look like. Not sure if you meant 5 WTC instead of 6 WTC, if that's the case, whatever happens there is still up in the air and I doubt we'll see any action there for a while.
Now as far as the PATH station, sure there are plenty to be critical about considering its cost and how much it's really needed but judging from those pictures and all the renderings I've seen, I have very little doubts that this one will end up being a landmark in NYC, it just looks amazing!

Last edited by Blaze23; Jun 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 2:49 AM
Show me the blueprints

That marble is so audacious and perfect. This is quality people. This place is going to be a cathedral. I can't wait.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 5:59 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Workers install marble floors at WTC Transportation Hub East West connector that will be lined with retail.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 10:49 AM

Alright, that's pretty sick

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
Construction on the performing arts center should start once the Path station is finished in 2015, so my guess is sometime next year we'll have a clearer picture of what it's gonna look like. Not sure if you meant 5 WTC instead of 6 WTC, if that's the case, whatever happens there is still up in the air and I doubt we'll see any action there for a while.
Now as far as the PATH station, sure there are plenty to be critical about considering its cost and how much it's really needed but judging from those pictures and all the renderings I've seen, I have very little doubts that this one will end up being a landmark in NYC, it just looks amazing!
Ok thanks. I called the other tower 6 WTC because thats what it was labbled as on the above diagram. I thought they might have changed the name.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
^^^
Dat Marble...
Gorgeous. Hopefully the builders will apply some kind of urine-repelling coating to protect it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 8:06 PM

That hallway is pretty sick. This is looking very promising.

Though I want the additional lower level to built, as was originally proposed. This was also supposed to be the Lower Manhattan LIRR/JFK hub. That needs to be an MTA/Port Authority priority.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 10:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

Are there any expansion points built into the plans in case a JFK express train in any form to lower Manhattan ever materializes?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 10:44 PM

Stunning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture