Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 10:28 AM

^^^the jungle of drilling. Love it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Notice how you never just see a giant cassion sleeve like the ones delivered the other day just sticking 3/4 of the way out of the ground? You will never see that because the equipment couldn't possibly work with a 100' long sleeve all at once. What they do is drill in a 22' wide by 25' long one, then lower a 50' long by 21' 3" sleeve into the existing hole so only 25' is sticking out. Then they telescope that one all the way into the hole and then they bring out a 75' long by 20' 6" one and drill that all the way in. THEN comes the big boy which is say 20' even wide and 100' long and drill that all the way down. Once they've "telescoped" to the right depth they bust out the rock grinders, make their socket, and then lower a all the way into the hole with the rebar cage in the middle a pour away.

I actually wondered about that a long time myself, how do they keep reusing the sleeves? How do they get them out? Why do you never see a super long one just like halfway drilled into the ground? Then I watched them working at this site the other day and saw them dropping a medium sized one into a larger hole and was like "gotcha". I suggest going down to watch this site, it's immensely impressive. Watching a rig like this torque the big sleeves that have hundreds of square feet of surface area against thick Chicago mud is quite a sight.
Lets see if I've got this right----drive a large diameter sleeve into the ground as deep as possible. (I assume that the friction between the sleeve and the ground limits the depth of this drive, bigger diameter=more surface area rubbing against the sleeve=shorter depth, small diameter = less friction = greater depth) then drill and remove the debris from the center of the first sleeve. Repeat these steps with a slightly narrower sleeve but of course it will drive deeper since the top section is not in contact with any dirt.
Then at some point in time a "permanent galvanized corrugated sleeve" is put in the full depth hole, a rebar cage is fit into the permanent sleeve which gets filled up with concrete.
Question, I've only ever seen this type of caisson construction done with 2 sleeves. Is this because 2 sleeves gets one down 100' or so, but if needed this principal of what you call telescoping could be done with as many sleeves as needed.
I have never seen a "permanent galvanized corrugated sleeve" why bother with the cost of galvanizing and corrugating? This last sleeve is just a form for the concrete, rust won't be a problem.
I assume that the reason for adding this permanent sleeve/concrete form/ and not just leaving the drilling sleeves in place must be cost. The drilling sleeves look major league compared to the permanent sleeve
After the permanent sleeve is filled, or maybe as it is being filled, are the drilling sleeves removed and the space they took up backfilled with dirt or grout?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 3:54 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ outstanding pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Bad ass dude. Thanks and keep em coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
That drill is nuts!
P.S. I reached out to Case to see if they need any photo work, but as a side note, I asked my contact about how exactly the below drill bit worked. He pointed me to Center Rock, Inc's LP Drill. If you're interested in seeing an animation on how these drills work at depth, click on the View Product Video button on the LP Drill product page.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
...snip...
Center Rock, Inc's LP Drill. If you're interested in seeing an animation on how these drills work at depth, click on the View Product Video button on the LP Drill product page.
...snip...
Great link -tyvm. I had always assumed the little heads rotated, looks like they pound instead.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 2:37 AM

Glad they went with the Sonic the Hedgehog soundtrack.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 3:10 AM

10/11/16

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 12:40 PM

Cool mini time-lapse BVic.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 2:01 PM

Oct 08

For holding the rebar in just the right spot ?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:05 PM
Chicago

October 13, 2016

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:44 PM
BANNED

From BCBS tower 10/15. Vista action is at the bottom right.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 1:37 PM
Urbane observer

^View was better from Aon. I spent the whole weekend pointing the construction site out to people who asked. I was surprised how much this project was known to the general public, at least the OHC crowd.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 1:46 PM
Ascension

Off topic a bit but Swisshotel is begging for a green roof.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:18 PM
Urbane observer

Lots of details are (deliberately) obscure, but the Sun-Times is reporting that former mayor Richard M. Daley and his son Patrick have structured an enterprise to allow Chinese investors to buy green cards by investing in this project and/or Site O. To allow investment of only $500K rather than $1M, they claimed the project was in an area of high unemployment, by stitching together this perfectly logical "community:"

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Off topic a bit but Swisshotel is begging for a green roof.
Thats up to Bruce Wayne.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 4:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Lots of details are (deliberately) obscure, but the Sun-Times is reporting that former mayor Richard M. Daley and his son Patrick have structured an enterprise to allow Chinese investors to buy green cards by investing in this project and/or Site O. To allow investment of only $500K rather than $1M, they claimed the project was in an area of high unemployment, by stitching together this perfectly logical "community:"

Wow! That is an embarrassing gerrymander.

I might have to tap the EB-5 program myself some day before they shut it down

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:07 PM
Ex Houstonian

Im not getting too excited yet about this tower, dont want to get my hopes up for yet another Chicago Spire situation.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Im not getting too excited yet about this tower, dont want to get my hopes up for yet another Chicago Spire situation.

Once again, too many fools just don't have a clue how vastly different this is.

It's as if Chicago stopped being able to support 1000+ footers because one novice with little experience and virtually no money couldn't pull off the tallest project in the Western Hemisphere right on the cusp of a monumental credit meltdown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Saw this article over the weekend as well.
EB-5 is an absolute scandal and imo should not be reformed - it should be outright scrapped.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 7:46 PM
Ω

^But without it would the city get many less skyscrapers built with foreign investment?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 7:47 PM
Ω

Is there any way to update the title image? The new design is so much better than that dated one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture