HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:12 PM

Marriot Hotel & Apartments | ?m | 13,11,6fl | Proposed

Bank St and Walkley
Block A: 6 Storey Marriot Hotel
Block B: 13 Storey Apartment Complex
Block C: 11 Storey Apartment Complex

City Report Here: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa...E-PLA-0129.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCN
APARTMENT BUILDINGS Proj: 9137268-1
Ottawa, Ottawa-Carleton Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
Block B and Block C, 1172 Walkley Rd, Bank St and Walkley Rd
$20,000,000 est
Note: Site plan has been submitted for the city council approval. Design, tender and construction schedules will be finalized once site plan has been approved. Further update mid-late June, 2011.
The owner: 1686864 Ontario Inc.
Project: proposed construction of a 13-storey apartment building with 101 units (Block B; 6,379 m2) and 11-storey building with 107 units (Block C; 7,480 m2).
Scope: 15,000 m²; 13 storeys; 2 structures; 208 units
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCN
HOTEL AND APARTMENT BUILDING Proj: 9137267-1
Ottawa, Ottawa-Carleton Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
Marriot Hotel and Block A, 1172 Walkley Rd, Bank St and Walkley Rd
$20,000,000 est
Note: Site plan has been submitted for the city council approval. Design, tender and construction schedules will be finalized once site plan has been approved. Further update mid-late June, 2011.
The owner: 1686864 Ontario Inc.
Project: proposed construction of a six-storey 120-room Marriot Hotel (6,379 m2) and 11-storey apartment with 107 units (Block A; 7,480 m2).
Scope: 14,000 m²; 11 storeys; 2 structures; 227 units; parking for 134 cars; 474 acres
Development: New
Category: Hotels, motels

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:30 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=151044

Mods can you please merge.

Thanks,
Josh

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=151044

Mods can you please merge.

Thanks,
Josh
Damn search function not searching....
Sorry folks.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 8:10 PM

Observed from the #43 recently that a lot of progress has been made with excavation and re-grading of this property in the last couple of weeks. Will be great to see this get built, and they will be the tallest buildings this close to the transitway and O-train...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 10:58 AM

Has this been approved yet?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 9:00 PM

Saw a sign on the lot for 'Distillery Warehouse' and there's a registration page up and running - http://distillerywarehouse.com/

No real info yet, but looks intriguing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:36 PM

This would be a great spot for the next Soho building. Just think: Soho Parkw....oh, right...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:18 PM

Yeah, I saw the "Distillery Lofts" signage too when I recently visited Value Village across the road from this location. I wonder if that's what the name of the apartment/condo buildings will be? Either way, it'll be awesome to have some more mid-rises in the south end of town, as well as another hotel option for folks that don't want/need to stay downtown.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
This would be a great spot for the next Soho building. Just think: Soho Parkw....oh, right...

Ummmm... What? Please try to make more sense when you po-.... oh right, nevermind, I'll save my breath. I forgot I was on an online forum, my expectations were getting too high.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 10:21 PM

Sorry, that was a dig at the existing Soho Parkway building, which has already been built - adjacent to another parkway.

Next time I promise it will be Shakespeare.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 6:51 PM

Just heard that the launch is on Nov. 1 (a Tuesday a believe) held at their sales centre at the mini-mall plaza just south of Walkley.

From what I've been told this will be a hotel with residences, not just "hotel-inspired". Should be interesting.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:06 AM

Recently received an email about this:
Quote:
We would like to invite you to our EXCLUSIVE VIP launch on Tuesday, November 1st from 5:00-8:00pm

The event will take place in the Distillery Warehouse Sales Centre which is located at 1920 Bank Street, just South of Walkley in the Pizza Hut Plaza

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:47 AM

Shapely.......

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 12:10 PM

Complete with ground level retail, including Shoppers Drug mart! YAY!

LOL...in all seriousness though, this does look pretty awesome, and certainly more interesting looking than teal aluminum and glass clad yuckiness that plagues Ottawa almost everywhere you look.

Hope this thing gets going, as it will be so cool to see some more mid-high rises go up in Ottawa South.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:09 PM

what in the world can the word "authentic" mean in that ad? there's nothing "authentic" about any of the "lofts" that might be found in that proposed building!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
what in the world can the word "authentic" mean in that ad? there's nothing "authentic" about any of the "lofts" that might be found in that proposed building!
Do you know the definition of 'loft'? A loft means open style, high ceilings, etc... How can you tell it's not a loft by the exterior rendering? Do you have x-ray vision? Or have you seen the interior layouts before the rest of us?

I think the building looks great and I'm very anxious to see the 'loft' aspects. If they are branding it as an authentic loft, I'm certain there will be loft-like characteristics, unlike some of the other "lofts" in Ottawa which only loft feature is an open style kitchen.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:55 PM
Citizen-at-large

If it comes out at all like the render (industrial-red brick, leaded windows, suspended balconies, brickwork and concrete detailing, lights directed at the building), this will be hands-down the best looking condo building in the suburbs.

Probably a very good investment too as prices will skyrocket if ever a Walkley O-Train station is built.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Do you know the definition of 'loft'? A loft means open style, high ceilings, etc...
That's cute, yes I do know the definition of "loft", and if you want to quote a definition, why didn't you quote a definition? here's one:
Quote:
Loft   [lawft, loft] Show IPA
noun
1. a room, storage area, or the like within a sloping roof; attic; garret.
2. a gallery or upper level in a church, hall, etc., designed for a special purpose: a choir loft.
3. a hayloft.
4. an upper story of a business building, warehouse, or factory, typically consisting of open, unpartitioned floor area.
5. such an upper story converted or adapted to any of various uses, as quarters for living, studios for artists or dancers, exhibition galleries, or theater space.
The fact that many developers use the term to mean any open concept apartment with 9-foot ceilings doesn't change the definition of the word, or make it "authentic." A better copywriter, one who wasn't suffering from hyperbolia, might call these "loft-style" apartments, or somesuch more appropriate term. The best example of actually "authentic lofts" in Ottawa are in Wallis House on Rideau St.

Last edited by McC; Oct 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM. Reason: added quote tags

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
That's cute, yes I do know the definition of "loft", and if you want to quote a definition, why didn't you quote a definition? here's one:

The fact that many developers use the term to mean any open concept apartment with 9-foot ceilings doesn't change the definition of the word, or make it "authentic." A better copywriter, one who wasn't suffering from hyperbolia, might call these "loft-style" apartments, or somesuch more appropriate term. The best example of actually "authentic lofts" in Ottawa are in Wallis House on Rideau St.
Thanks for the lesson on 'lofts' in Ottawa - I too can use Google.com and Dictionary.com to look up definitions, but you saved some time for me. But if you notice, there's no standard ceiling heights listed in the definition, only the vague term "open, unpartitioned floor area".

But, now that Loft 101 is over, I will return to my original point, I was merely pointing out that you are already questioning the advertisment of 'authentic lofts' prior to seeing any plans and based only on one exterior rendering. I am well aware that the term 'loft' is thrown around town - and often the term is mis-used or exaggerated, but I'll wait to see the plans and interior rendering before I pass judgement.

But hey, why else do book covers exist, if not to form prejudice opinions?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 12:26 AM

Alright, I messed up and commented in the general update/rumour thread about this location...I also thought it was the Distillery bldg that was going up right beside Walkley. The building going up is apparently the Marriot itself, and will likely top out at 6 or 7 floors. They are currently starting work on the 4th floor, so not much longer to go. Should be interesting when they start closing it in more, and when it's a few levels taller than the raised segment of Walkley immediately behind it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa