HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Central South East False Creek in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:22 PM

Smile

The angle of the photo creates an awesome illusion of one gigantic McDonds drive through!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 4:36 AM

looks like the 2nd and 3rd level on the office side is already furnished

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:49 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxstock View Post
looks like the 2nd and 3rd level on the office side is already furnished
sounds about right. I thought I read way back when that CBSA was to move from 333 Dunsmuir in March 2014.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 12:41 AM

Not the best photo from today. The neighbouring site is surprisingly tall as well.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:36 AM

completion date got changed to september 1st

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:50 AM

Just want to say that I just finished reading this thread and want to go on record as saying this is hands down going to be the worst building in the city when it is finally completed and I'm thinking that it will wind up holding that record for a looooooong time into the future.

It positively screams cheapness and is simply an ill thought out and inappropriate response to the site and context.

What an awkward, clumsy mess.

GBL's social housing project just a block or two away blows this thing away in terms of design quality, scale, materiality, detailing… well, it blows it away in terms of everything.

Looking at this building makes me want to laugh, except I start to cry instead. But that may be because looking at it makes me throw-up in my mouth a little bit every time I look at it — and that always makes me sad.

Oh and dleung, to everything you said itt. And yes, of course that Toronto project is clearly a vastly better version of this hackneyed concept. It's so obvious, I just can't understand why others don't see it.

Okay, now back over to the guys that are goggly-eyed over this mess.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:45 AM

Some days I wish there was a separate forum for people who are really, really hyperbolic about building aesthetics.

If you have strong opinions about a building's looks, that's fine - but if your comment can be boiled down to "I don't like it" and that's already been said a million times, it might not be worth posting a long screed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Some days I wish there was a separate forum for people who are really, really hyperbolic about building aesthetics.

If you have strong opinions about a building's looks, that's fine - but if your comment can be boiled down to "I don't like it" and that's already been said a million times, it might not be worth posting a long screed.
This. Though let's be careful not to paint all criticism with the same brush - even though I'm personally a fan of this building, I really appreciated dleung's post on the previous page in which he clearly stated which elements of the building are bothersome, and how they can be improved. It was informed and constructive; we need more of that kind of posting.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:40 PM

Oh, I get it.

It's okay to mindlessly say that you like a building but not so okay to mindlessly say that you don't.

Sure I'm new here and all but I didn't get the memo stating that the focus of the forum is to fawn over all developments simply because they are development.

And I've really been appreciating the insights of some that like a project because it's "different". Pretty deep. It certainly makes one pause and think.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 PM

I'm not sure how well you interact with other humans, but positivity is a pretty generic facet of the human experience. Whether it be meeting a new person, eating a meal or discussing a movie, one often is expected to provide more context to a negative reaction than a positive one. I'm no psychologist or sociologist so I can't tell you the academic reason for this tendency, but it certainly isn't limited to this forum. Probably a good tip for this forum and your greater existence.

With regards to this forum in general, there is a certain fatigue to the hyperbolic "worst building ever" poster who generally contributes nothing but a negative diatribe. Accusing this building of being the worst ever built in Vancouver makes you sound like a spastic 16 year old complaining about her sweet 16. Tell us your opinion, tell us the reasons for said opinion and do it like a rational mature person. Leave the drama somewhere else.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 12:29 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

general FYI but the office part is fully finished and occupied by CBSA.

maybe we can get a thread title change?

news story >>

http://www.cosbc.ca/index.php/regula...ice-relocation

After 20 years, Canada Border Services Agency will leave their 333 Dunsmuir Street address and move to a new location on April 7, 2014. The new location details are as follows:

Canada Border Services Agency
412-4th Floor, 1611 Main Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 2W5

Hours of operation (Monday to Friday) 08:00 - 16:00

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:09 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by axestone View Post
Oh, I get it.

It's okay to mindlessly say that you like a building but not so okay to mindlessly say that you don't.

Sure I'm new here and all but I didn't get the memo stating that the focus of the forum is to fawn over all developments simply because they are development.

And I've really been appreciating the insights of some that like a project because it's "different". Pretty deep. It certainly makes one pause and think.
Nah. It's the way your present your distaste that's boring.

Your "Everytime I pass by this building, I throw up in my mouth a little" comment is as lame as if some cheerleader of Central said "I love this building so much I want to have its baby". Both get a serious eye-roll.

This forum survives on discussion and debate among members with differing opinions. You want yours taken seriously? Try presenting them without tired catchphrases.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 2:05 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I don't really feel like changing it to completed quite yet until the residential side gets occupancy as well. Shouldn't be much longer. Just doesn't feel right to state completed when it's only partial completed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:49 PM

Chunky and unattractive. Due to its siting it reads as one large Toronto-like slab from most angles.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 5:48 PM
victory in near

I mindlessly like this building!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 6:55 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Nah. It's the way your present your distaste that's boring.

Your "Everytime I pass by this building, I throw up in my mouth a little" comment is as lame as if some cheerleader of Central said "I love this building so much I want to have its baby". Both get a serious eye-roll.

This forum survives on discussion and debate among members with differing opinions. You want yours taken seriously? Try presenting them without tired catchphrases.
It's just a massive troll show..

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 3:11 AM

If you look closely you can see people's desks, postits, etc.

Source: me

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:33 AM
See ya down under, mates

They're making the columns look like trees? That's cool/corny as hell depending on the poster.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:27 AM

so, why is this making people "throw up in their mouth a little?" i don't see what is so horrible about it. i actually find it not to bad. i hope they leave the columns as nice clean concrete though, i quite like that modern look. the top bridge part i would have liked to see maybe 1 or 2 more floors. otherwise not bad though.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:38 AM

what is that column thing in the middle? it's definitely not one of the 8 columns... maybe a temp chute for trash?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver