HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:21 AM

Loving this thread! Thanks for starting it (and contributing a lot to it), someone123.

Those Eastern Orthodox churches, wow!! Fascinating. For some of them, it's hard to believe those pics were taken in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:45 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Loving this thread! Thanks for starting it (and contributing a lot to it), someone123.

Those Eastern Orthodox churches, wow!! Fascinating. For some of them, it's hard to believe those pics were taken in Canada.
Eastern Orthodox and Catholic . Because both Ukrainian Orthodox and Catholic churches/adherants had been persecuted at various times throughout history, the freedom to practise their faith was very important to them, so churches were often the second thing built in an area after the homesteads were taken care of.

And Someone... the darker stone masonry is ironstone? I have to say I'm a big fan of the look.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:54 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And Someone... the darker stone masonry is ironstone? I have to say I'm a big fan of the look.
Yep, it is the darker slate stone. If you look closely you will also see that many of the stones are rust coloured; that is from the iron content.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:54 AM

It's very Scottish/Irish. I like it to. Quebec the Maritime and some pockets of Ontario are blessed with it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 10:15 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Someone123 - when you first posted the Halifax style of bay/dormer windows, I'd never seen them before. I looked around to see if we had any examples, and there aren't any.

But I found one - and since that style is not present here, I did a little research. Sure enough, the architect was Scottish.

Quote:
Richmond Hill Cottage has historic value because of its associations with the Honorable Kenneth McLea, and Gilbert Browning. McLea was a St. John’s merchant who purchased the land near the Crossroads in Riverhead in 1848. McLea was a candidate for St. John’s West in the election of 1861, and his candidature resulted in an election riot in which three people were shot to death on Water Street. He died a year later. Subsequently his business went bankrupt and the family sold the property.

Gilbert Browning was a Scottish builder-architect who came to Newfoundland following the Great Fire of 1846 in which a large portion of St. John’s was burnt. Browning arrived amongst a large number of men who were engaged in the building trades in England and who came to help with rebuilding the town. He was hired by McLea to design and build Richmond Hill. Thirty years after Browning built the house, he purchased it as his family residence. He became a prominent businessman in his own right. His most successful venture was a biscuit factory near the Crossroads, which afterwards was carried on under the name of Browning-Harvey. This company is still in operation today.
Browning-Harvey makes the local Pepsi products, including Pineapple Crush. They also do all sorts of "Pepsi: Your LOCAL soft drink", etc., advertising. And, since Coca Cola shuttered their facilities here... well, you know what we're like. I believe Newfoundland is one of only a handful of places in the world where Pepsi is more popular than Coke. Someone mentioned recently that was down to just us and Russia, but I have no idea.

And regarding the riot - completely normal then. It was a rough period. 1855 was our independence - a sudden transfer of power from the ruling English Anglican elite to the majority Irish Catholic population. Some neighbouring villages literally went to war against each other, there's no other term for it, and riots were everywhere, all the time. The early 1860s were the worst of all. Masked gangs even beat people trying to vote in some predominantly Catholic towns in majority Anglican areas - and the town of Harbour Grace was forbidden from voting in a national election at that time by the government.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, it is the only example of bay/dormer windows in that style here:

http://historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/...u.aspx?id=2719

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:24 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yep, it is the darker slate stone. If you look closely you will also see that many of the stones are rust coloured; that is from the iron content.
Hah! I was thinking slate with how thin some of the stonework was. Anyway.. that style gets a big thumbs-up from me. And it does definitely remind me of the Glaswegian look.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:55 AM

Also slate stone is very strong if I'm not mistaken. Those buildings are (the shell) as strong now as ever. Unlike sand stone structures that can have very fine details but don't stand the test of time. Some of Toronto's most ornate buildings used sandstone so many of the detailed features have been lost through erosion. Queens Park, Old City Hall, and the Flatiron. I realize that Iron stone was never meant to be a carving stone but my point is one material was meant to stand the test of time and one was not. The Slate buildings look as good now as they did after just being built needing very little in the way of restoration work.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada