HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 10:38 PM

"Magnolia grandiflora must be flowering in a Vancouver right now"
They are yes. They must be nearly done though. Very colourful time of year right now. Here's some pics i took this morning ironically.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 2:23 PM

Toronto hit -25C this past winter (overnight low, Feb 25), no windmill palms would have survived this cold !

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 12:06 AM
gettin' rich!

Why did we let this thread die...like a palm tree in Toronto?

Palm Trees of Canada

We need to bring summer back!!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 10:54 AM

Okay, here are a couple of pics from last fall of palm trees on the seawall along False Creek in Vancouver.

Oct.18 '15, my pics

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 10:17 AM

I took this pic yesterday while on a long walk through the West End of Vancouver.

Jan.8 '16, my pic

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Cornriggs and Barleyriggs and...cornriggs are bonnie!!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:15 AM

More Vancouver palms, and a few banana trees too.

English Bay Beach, Vancouver, June 20 '15, my pic

East Vancouver, Sept.5 '15, my pic

East Vancouver, Sept.5 '15, my pic

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:04 AM
Straight Outta Windsor

these are some palms on the waterfront in Windsor

Last edited by Odyssey; Jan 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:10 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yes, there are palm trees in Canada, but of course they are along the west coast of BC, mostly along the east side of Vancouver Island (Victoria and Nanaimo) the Vancouver area and the sunshine coast north of Vancouver. They are primarily the windmill palm, but there are also Cordylines and two species of banana.
They even have banana trees here in Kansas City.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Yeah, I can see that. The foliage dies back generally once the temperature drops below 2 degrees, but the roots (and the base during mild winters) survive. Essentially they can grow somewhere that has a long enough uninterrupted growing season and the ground never freezer too deep.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 1:41 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
yeah, they are popular in missouri. cannas also usually survive in the ground all winter in the inner cities and southern part of the state, and i used to have a euro palm that overwintered fine in the south st. louis city microclimate of brick and tar roofs on a southern exposure planted against a large expanse of concrete. now i live in a mid-century house in an inner suburb with no alleys/gangways and a lot more greenery so i don't know if they would make it. it does make a difference at this latitude, i know that people plant european palms in urban baltimore close to the harbor but they don't usually make it in the suburbs, same with cincinnati and d.c.

if you are interested in planting european palms, they should survive in central kansas city (doubtful if you like live in kansas city north on the prairie by the airport or SW JoCo or something with lots more wind and no urban heat island) on a southern exposure in a protected area close to some large areas of brick or concrete (walkway/foundation). you will need to build a small enclosure with christmas lights for subtle heat for intermittent arctic fronts (you remove the enclosure after the front passes).

/rant

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 7:49 PM
Straight Outta Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
They probably aren't interested in growing them.
Mobile has milder and shorter winters than Vancouver, and can grow a whole host of tropical(ish) flora that Vancouver can not. Birmingham's winters are closer to Vancouver's in average temperature, but they are prone to way more warm days through out the winter, and again, B'ham has a far shorter winter than Vancouver.
we all know that, Mobile and Birmingham are in the south and Vancouver is in Canada, of course its going to have shorter winters....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 8:02 PM

Palm trees look so incredibly silly and incongruent there. It's a bit of a reach.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 12:22 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I really dislike the idea of palm trees in Canada. It just seems so unnatural and doesn't go with the landscape/architecture in any way.
I like it

As you likely know many of the Asian palm species can survive here in Denmark too, but the mindset here is that it's unnatural and thus is a very rare sight, typically only in private yards ( with the exception of a few places such as beaches that wants to attract tourists )

As I see it the plants in nations these days are so mixed and non native anyways, so palm trees are a very welcome sight and I think it's awesome that Canada has embraced it rather than go all NIMBY on it, like us silly Danes tend to do..

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 12:24 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
we all know that, Mobile and Birmingham are in the south and Vancouver is in Canada, of course its going to have shorter winters....
Really, huh?

Latitude is not necessarily a consistent way of measuring temperature and seasonal length. Your city, Windsor, has the same latitude as Northern California, but has a winter more in common with Russia than anywhere in the Sunshine State.

Shanghai lines up with North/Central Florida, but we don't get anywhere near the mild-to-hot winters they do.

Oceanic currents, landmass, large bodies of fresh water and topography also play large roles in to how a regions climate is determined.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:30 PM

wow beautiful windmills of vancouver! paradise palms is probably the best when it comes to palms in vancouver.. i heard they are renovating vancouvers downtown waterfront parks excluding Stanley Park in 2020 but i doubt it haha i would love to see that though their website is www.paradisepalms.ca if your looking for palms they're a nice family run business

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Really, huh?

Latitude is not necessarily a consistent way of measuring temperature and seasonal length. Your city, Windsor, has the same latitude as Northern California, but has a winter more in common with Russia than anywhere in the Sunshine State.
Uhh, well first of all, Windsor's latitude is more in line with Medford Oregon than anywhere in NoCal.

Second, that's a bit hyperbolic, Windsor is about 7°F warmer than Moscow year round and has nowhere near the kind of climate in the colder parts of Russia.

Also, Florida is the "sunshine" state.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:33 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Uhh, well first of all, Windsor's latitude is more in line with Medford Oregon than anywhere in NoCal.

Second, that's a bit hyperbolic, Windsor is about 7°F warmer than Moscow year round and has nowhere near the kind of climate in the colder parts of Russia.

7F isn't much difference (2.3C?) though, and I said that Windsor has a winter more in line with Russia than California, which is true.

Anyway, I was just using it as an example of latitude not being the be-all, end-all regarding climate.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:36 AM

Needle palm in my backward
20170409_144621 by DjeepMtl, sur Flickr

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

I'm not an expert on Eurasian climate although it does bear similarity to central north america however there isn't a gulf of mexico to help balance the arctic ocean on its northern flank. Further more the LP of MI and the "peninsula" that Windsor-Essex sits on help moderate the extremes of summer and winter. It's not a huge degree but when a arctic front sweeps down not only do the clouds created by the cold air passing over the lakes help insulate from the initial blast but the large bodies of water themselves have an effect (unless they freeze up like they do every so often when although much more rarely these days). I lost my young windmill palm in the record breaking winter several years ago although i made a mistake and it would have survived outdoors with protection instead i had it in our unheated sun room all winter and it was killed during a freak April cold snap when i accidentally left the window open all night next to it during a high wind/snow event after a 70 degree day 2 days before.

During many of the worst cold snaps places like Indy and Chicago will be colder especially at night than Detroit-Windsor, looking at maps during these events it almost seems like the worst cold air has to navigate down and around lake Michigan before coming up from the south to reach SE MI & SW ONT slightly moderating all the time.

I digress though the Detroit - Windsor area has a micro climate that is 6b in the city and near lake st clair and 6a over the rest (i think Windsor is 6b as well). Oddly enough 6b climate zone is the same as most of Kentucky southern Missouri and southern Kansas and 6a is found in areas like Nashville the Texas panhandle and high plains of New Mexico.

Moscow is a urban heat island 5 surrounded by 4 while Detroit-Windsor is a 6a-6b would be more like the Black Sea coast or most of Crimea aka the Soviet Riviera which has palm trees too, although only naturally occurring in the Sevastopol-Yalta area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos