HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:15 AM

Another Oakland Thread

Seriously... I'm running out of titles.

These are two small sets I took on separate days. In terms of what's new, none of the East Oakland neighborhoods have made an appearance before. Fairfax is a transitional neighborhood between middle class Maxwell Park and the working class flatlands. Lockwood-Tevis and Coliseum on the other hand are the hood, Lockwood being the location of the infamous 65 and 69 Ville (Lockwood Gardens) and Coliseum being home to the Oakland Coliseum. I'll get more in-depth into these neighborhoods in subsequent threads.

The first dozen uptown pics are of the Kaiser Rooftop Garden, a garden on top of the parking lot for the Kaiser Center. Personally I don't feel like I did the best job of displaying it (I didn't capture the pond or the majority of the park) but I'll try to rectify that.

The Rockridge pics after the 1st two are on the other side of the BART (which I've never photographed before). Some will probably recognize Zachary's, imo one of the best pizzas in California. If you ever visit Oakland, it's a must

Downtown Oakland

Uptown

Chinatown

East Oakland

Fairfax

Lockwood

Deep East Oakland

Coliseum

North Oakland

Rockridge

Thanks for viewing my thread. All feedback is appreciated and will be returned.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:36 PM

This set shows some interesting angles & variety. Good work. The pic with single basketball hoop made an interesting composition.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:38 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Another quality tour!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:45 PM

@ Expat: Thanks for noticing. Other posters here have inspired me to step my technical game up... I'm open to any and all advice about composition, framing, etc.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:55 PM

Oakland is growing on me (more so) because of your work. North Oak seems where all the action is at.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 9:05 PM
furified freestyle

dude you're cranking out hits like gladys knight and the pips. go oakland!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
Oakland is growing on me (more so) because of your work. North Oak seems where all the action is at.
North Oakland certainly has a lot of action (College Ave, Telegraph Ave, Piedmont Ave, etc.) but East Oakland has a good amount... for some reason I tend to skip over the action when I'm taking pictures in East Oakland lol. To prove it, that'll be the subject of my next thread

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 5:15 AM
Paradise Island

I'm enjoying all your Oakland threads. Before you started posting these we almost never saw it on SSP.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 2:25 PM

Nice pictures. Even though the area is gritty, I like the views from Fairfax of the houses on the hillsides.

If you're doing so many Oakland threads that you don't have any titles anymore, maybe you should branch off into other cities and towns, like you've done for Berkeley and San Francisco.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Even though the area is gritty, I like the views from Fairfax of the houses on the hillsides.

If you're doing so many Oakland threads that you don't have any titles anymore, maybe you should branch off into other cities and towns, like you've done for Berkeley and San Francisco.

True... I am open to doing other areas though. I'm considering doing a San Leandro thread sometime in the next month and I'm in the process of doing a peninsula set.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:59 PM

As always, an interesting, dynamic set of photos, capturing the diversity of Oakland. You've got the corporate-sleek sheen of Oakland's downtown, the grit of the downtown's periphery and transition neighborhoods, the drive and density of China/Asia town, and the yuppie/buppie bustle of tony, totally gentrified funky of the Rockridge strip.

And it ain't even Tuesday. C'est formidable!

Many of us would agree that you have done a tremendous service in creating your artistic-sociological study of Oakland, from its gritty and dangerous mean streets, to it is up-and-coming middle-class to upper middle class areas, and without doubt the wealthy, lush Oakland hills neighborhoods of gracious homes, ecclectic architecture, mansions, and estates.

I do hope that before you move on to San Francisco or the other East Bay cities---all of which are far too well known and over celebrated, and this from a San Francisco native raised in Britain---you will get an opportunity to explore Oakland's wealthy southern hill neighborhoods, e.g., Sequoyah Heights, "Old" Sequoyah, Hillcrest-Skyline Estates, and Chabot Park Estates. These are the true hidden gems of Oakland, semi-rural neighborhoods with large homes and estates in settings that look more like Napa Valley than the "urban" Oakland.

Besides, everyone knowsthe beauty of Oakland's Upper Rockridge, Claremont, Montclair, and thanks to you, Trestle Glen and Upper Oakmore, not to mention the nouveau riche of upper Ridgemont. So before taking your insight and camera to over-familiar Berkeley and over-celebrated San Francisco, please do give the viewers a taste of Oakland's wealthy southern hillside neighborhoods, which for some reason remain in the shadow and the secret in contrast to Oakland's wealthy northern hillside neighborhoods.

Oh, and the next time you are in Rockridge, please take some photos of the very tony Market Hall, and have a cafe au lait at the Oliveto's cafe. When you graduate, we will all have to pitch in so you can have a celebratory meal at the vaunted Oliveto's restaurant: old school by Oakland's raging new wave restaurant scene, but hey, Prince, the Beatles, Bobby Dylan, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, and Marvin Gaye are old school, too. So is UC Berkeley, Georgetown, and Brown, places me thinks needs a certain Nineties Flava in the student body.

We'll talk...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-vidal naquet's ami View Post
As always, an interesting, dynamic set of photos, capturing the diversity of Oakland. You've got the corporate-sleek sheen of Oakland's downtown, the grit of the downtown's periphery and transition neighborhoods, the drive and density of China/Asia town, and the yuppie/buppie bustle of tony, totally gentrified funky of the Rockridge strip.

And it ain't even Tuesday. C'est formidable!

Many of us would agree that you have done a tremendous service in creating your artistic-sociological study of Oakland, from its gritty and dangerous mean streets, to it is up-and-coming middle-class to upper middle class areas, and without doubt the wealthy, lush Oakland hills neighborhoods of gracious homes, ecclectic architecture, mansions, and estates.

I do hope that before you move on to San Francisco or the other East Bay cities---all of which are far too well known and over celebrated, and this from a San Francisco native raised in Britain---you will get an opportunity to explore Oakland's wealthy southern hill neighborhoods, e.g., Sequoyah Heights, "Old" Sequoyah, Hillcrest-Skyline Estates, and Chabot Park Estates. These are the true hidden gems of Oakland, semi-rural neighborhoods with large homes and estates in settings that look more like Napa Valley than the "urban" Oakland.

Besides, everyone knowsthe beauty of Oakland's Upper Rockridge, Claremont, Montclair, and thanks to you, Trestle Glen and Upper Oakmore, not to mention the nouveau riche of upper Ridgemont. So before taking your insight and camera to over-familiar Berkeley and over-celebrated San Francisco, please do give the viewers a taste of Oakland's wealthy southern hillside neighborhoods, which for some reason remain in the shadow and the secret in contrast to Oakland's wealthy northern hillside neighborhoods.

Oh, and the next time you are in Rockridge, please take some photos of the very tony Market Hall, and have a cafe au lait at the Oliveto's cafe. When you graduate, we will all have to pitch in so you can have a celebratory meal at the vaunted Oliveto's restaurant: old school by Oakland's raging new wave restaurant scene, but hey, Prince, the Beatles, Bobby Dylan, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, and Marvin Gaye are old school, too. So is UC Berkeley, Georgetown, and Brown, places me thinks needs a certain Nineties Flava in the student body.

We'll talk...

The main reason that they're not as well known is because there's a lack of retail outside of Lincoln Square (although that might change with the revamping of Foothill Square). Another reason, though, is that some people don't know what to make of the idea of wealthy (i.e. $100,000+ average income and up) predominantly-black neighborhoods. Especially in the Bay Area where the majority of the black population was working class and severely affected by the industrial collapse of the 70's and the only significant black population centers all have bad reputations (EPA, Marin City, Richmond, Vallejo, Bayview Hunters Point, etc.) for some people it's hard to believe that wealthy black neighborhoods exist en masse in Oakland, which has the ****tiest reputation of all.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:01 AM

Thumbs up Oakland's Wealthy Southern Hill Neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
....Another reason, though, is that some people don't know what to make of the idea of wealthy (i.e. $100,000+ average income and up) predominantly-black neighborhoods. Especially in the Bay Area where the majority of the black population was working class and severely affected by the industrial collapse of the 70's and the only significant black population centers all have bad reputations (EPA, Marin City, Richmond, Vallejo, Bayview Hunters Point, etc.) for some people it's hard to believe that wealthy black neighborhoods exist en masse in Oakland, which has the ****tiest reputation of all.

Well, mon ami, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Race, or shall we say Racism, American style, just won't let go, and we, tragically, won't let go of it. So EFF it and those who subscribe to the myth, the lark, the tragic misadventure. Monsieur Flav: get a car, get a bike, get a chaffeur, and point the lens of befuddling truth. Of course, some posters here, even after you and others have posted streams and streams of photos capturing wealthy, lush Oakland hillside neighborhoods, somehow persist in claiming, for instance, that only all-white, uptight Piedmont has something for which Oakland supposedly "can't compare."

Oh..PULEEZE!

I, for one, have enjoyed the shock of my "white" friends [ as an English/Latin, I guess I'm "off-white?" Antique white? White on Rye? A paler shade of wry??...] when we have cruised up and down Ettrick,Elvessa, Commonwealth Drive, Sequoyah View Drive, McGuirin Road, Balmoral, Tartan Way, and gasp! Shock! Stunned! all those well-to-do to stynkin' rich African-American folks and their rambling rosey rancher estates, swimmin' pools, horsey stables, and the like.

Here the southern hill "gangstas" of Oakland roam in crews identified as "UC graduates," "Ivy Leaguers," "Jesuit Ivies," and "New Ivies," armed with their Gold American express cards, doing their drive-by snootings , heading up to hangout in such dens of inequity as Commis, Baywolf, Oliveto's, Caesar's, Plum, Pican, Hibiscus!

OH. MAH. GAWD. Whatever yew do, don't tell Monsieur Fantastique!!! Them's thar "black" peoples in Oakland! With them thar advanced degrees!! MONEY!! And, oh, Gawd help us all, CULTURE!!!!!!!
OHHHH MAH GAWD!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. I could really get into some photos of these neighborhoods. Befuddling truths: can it get any better?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos