HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Hey look, another truck rolled onto its side at the Highway 17 / 91 Connector Road intersection!
sadly, this will be continue to be common occurrence until they fix that intersection with overpasses and underpass as it was originally intended.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:58 AM

What I just posted on the other thread.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...1-17-deltaport

Early works are suppose to start this summer.

Apparently more detailed diagrams / designs will be posted soon.

Of course we all know what “soon” can mean on updating government websites.

Also on a positive note the Lougheed will be expanded to 4 lanes between Silverdale and Mission (around a 3.5 KM stretch)

That will just leave a single 2 lane stretch between Ruskin and 266 Street between Mission and Maple Ridge.

Though both of these stretches should have been twinned 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:31 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Hey look, another truck rolled onto its side at the Highway 17 / 91 Connector Road intersection!
In related news, a truck hit the Glover road overpass on Highway 1. You know. That one with the flashing warning lights going eastbound that tell you to pull over if you set them off.

Twice in the last year I was on that stretch when a truck set it off. Both times you pull into the left land and hope the dashcam gets something juicy but nothing happens.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
In related news, a truck hit the Glover road overpass on Highway 1. You know. That one with the flashing warning lights going eastbound that tell you to pull over if you set them off.

Twice in the last year I was on that stretch when a truck set it off. Both times you pull into the left land and hope the dashcam gets something juicy but nothing happens.
You should like this then.
http://11foot8.com/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:03 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Oh man I LOVE 11foot8.

Comes to show you can make a safer underpass but you can't make a smarter person.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:26 AM
Dahvie Fan

There is officially no shoulder on the Alex Fraser bridge on either side. Not even a foot of extra space. People have already hit the centre pre-cast jersey barrier (which is bound to happen since it's uncomfortably close to the lane) which pushes out into the opposing lane on the other side (taking more space away from an already cramped lane).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:08 AM

Can someone here try and explain why the hell is Surrey wasting money repaving 152 nd street from 36th to 40th Avenue? That's like putting lipstick on a pig. From 36th to Colebrook should've been widened at least 10-15 years ago. Looking like it'll never happen.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Amazon Prime is now doing free same day delivery throughout Vancouver, with the exception of one significant region. And guess what I think is to blame, based on where I'm posting this:

Does anyone have an updated map like this?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

FYI Police blocked off Lions Gate Bridge. Reopening time unknown.
Does anyone know what’s going on??

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Jumper.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Deleted

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jul 13, 2018 at 6:36 PM. Reason: One does not simply assume.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Good gracious. It's been closed for what, 6-7 hours now? Beanbag gun or taser the guy/lady.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 11:46 PM
BANNED

I want to put this on the record for all drivers out there. I spoke to Gregor Robertson one day about the skytrain system and asked him why he's putting bike lanes everywhere and closing down roads. I pointed out to him that closing some of the roads in Fairview has caused cars to treat the alleys as highways which is quite dangerous.

His response to me was that if he increases the amount of roads, more people will drive. He said that we need to increase congestion in order to encourage less people to drive.

While I politely disagreed as I was in public, in my head I was thinking this guy does not bike outside enough in winter.

But there you have it, our traffic is artificially created by the government to encourage you to bike/transit. If you don't believe me go ask him yourself.

Having taken urban land economics I can say he is partially right. But I'll also point out that besides requiring a few more bridges/tunnels, our traffic is pretty good. If we had one more 6 lane bridge to N. Van, one more to Richmond, and one more to Surrey/Delta we'd probably solve 60% of congestion. Its not that the roads crossing land are congested, its the crossings over water thats killing traffic. I believe the solution is to build more bridges and meanwhile heavily invest in underground transporation so we are ready for the future. A bike seems like a great solution in the summer when people suggest it, but when someone mentions it in the winter people will think its dumb.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 7:08 AM

https://www.peacearchnews.com/news/s...ed-up-traffic/

Sounds very ambitious. Doubt we'll see all these projects finished in my lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:29 PM

From BC Trans flickr:

Railway Crossing Information System
Six advisory signs will operate through a central control system to provide real-time train crossing information
— indicating if the crossing is open or closed — so drivers can make informed decisions for travel in Langley, Surrey
and the Township of Langley. The signs will specify the train’s location and travel direction, enabling drivers to use
alternate crossing options at adjacent railway overpasses, in order to avoid traffic delays. In addition to reducing
traffic congestion and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions due to decreased vehicle idling times, the signs will
increase travel efficiency and mobility for emergency vehicles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc...h/43697628062/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc...7671119007048/

First Railway Crossing Info Sign, Fraser Hwy and 206 St

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:43 PM

Every time go through that area I wonder how there are still at grade crossings. And also why they didn't build a trench and put the railway in that, going under the roads. Instead we have huge overpasses

I don't know how helpful that new signage will be. Might be better off just waiting till the train passes instead of trying to go to another crossing along with a bunch of other traffic

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Every time go through that area I wonder how there are still at grade crossings. And also why they didn't build a trench and put the railway in that, going under the roads. Instead we have huge overpasses
The train was there long before the vast majority of the roads.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:57 PM

I think the net effect is the same as encountering a "road closed ahead" sign.

The advisory signs are placed before the appropriate turn-offs for the alternate routes to the overpasses.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I spoke to Gregor Robertson one day about the skytrain system and asked him why he's putting bike lanes everywhere and closing down roads. [...] His response to me was that if he increases the amount of roads, more people will drive. He said that we need to increase congestion in order to encourage less people to drive.
This is the type of anti-development and anti-working-middle-class numbf*cks we have had running our city for decades and it shows. City of Vancouver has done and continues to do anything it can to make Vancouver roads as congested as possible and they are succeeding. Traffic is only getting worse and congestion has exploded and become a permanent phenomenon.

I also do ride my bicycle (during summer time), but the number of bike lanes especially in Downtown has become ridiculous and all of them run along major streets. I was still on board with them when they ran along side streets, but now traffic flow on Nelson, Smithe and Burrard has been killed. Just wait until Granville Bridge greenway gets built and we will lose also Howe and Seymour (which already allow street parking during most of the day)...

I do commute every other day by car and transit, and I am so happy to be driving against the main traffic flow, which has got absurd. All traffic lanes heading in the direction of the rush are these days basically solid with cars that move at walking speed. It is crazy how much worse rush hour traffic has got in the 6 years I have lived in here.

Great example of how CoV operates is the current closure of 1st Avenue. This has resulted in huge congestion on all other east-west roads such as Powell, Hastings, Broadway and Grandview. If the city would have any capable planner on their staff, they would have temporarily banned all street parking at all times on all those major arterial roads, yet all normal parking rules apply.

This has resulted in East Vancouver side streets be filled with drivers trying to cut congested traffic to which city actually has reacted by adding loads of traffic cones on most entryways and turns in the area.

I cannot imagine how people have the patience to drive with the rush hour traffic anymore. It is no wonder we once again dropped on the list of most livable cities and we will never see number 1 spot again (for this and affordability reasons), and will be out of top 10 soon as well. One can only hope that on its own will help reduce the appeal of our city to more immigrants.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 3:56 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
This is the type of anti-development and anti-working-middle-class numbf*cks we have had running our city for decades and it shows. City of Vancouver has done and continues to do anything it can to make Vancouver roads as congested as possible and they are succeeding. Traffic is only getting worse and congestion has exploded and become a permanent phenomenon.
Langley is also having the same problem but for different reasons. Instead of intentionally turning the roads into hellholes like CoV is doing, Langley—the Township, specifically—is too cheap spending its money on roads, and pays the developers to do it for them. That's why 208th Street, which is the alternate route of the busier 200th Street, is a clusterfuck of widening and merging lanes. Sometimes they don't put traffic lights on busy intersections; the 3-way intersection northeast of Langley Events Centre was really dangerous turning left to 80th Avenue wesbound from 202A, especially during Vancouver Giants games. People where complaining about it for a long time, and it's only seven months ago the Township finally put a lights, albeit not a signaled one, just the flashing red type. Because of so many people fleeing NoF down to the 'burbs, traffic there isn't much better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure