HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 5:13 AM
Fourth and Main

Patten / Realty Building Condominiums:
This office building, constructed in 1922 on Fourth Street's Restaurant Row, will be completely renovated into a condominium and retail development. Walter Robbs will be the architect for this project. No General Contractor has been announced at this time. They have vacated the building of all tenants, including the retail tenant, as they start design work on the project.

Credit: caminobakery

It has a nice view of a taller building, across the street:

Credit: GSV

How it looked around 1929:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library

In 1922, it was office space for real estate and insurance companies. If anyone working on this project is reading this: Please restore the metal canopy over the entrance!

Your City

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:16 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Are you ready for another brewery? Yes, another brewery is proposed in today's update!

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: fourthandtrade

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Credit: lynnwoodindustries

Credit: Ken Gwyn‎

Korner’s Folly Visitor Center:
A visitor center is proposed at Korner’s Folly. The visitor center will have exhibition and programming space, along with meeting space, restrooms, offices, and a gift shop. This thread has followed a few projects at Korner’s Folly in the past, which is an unusual "eccentric" house built in 1880, with different ceiling heights, fun themed rooms, and more. You really have to see it on a visit. It's called "The strangest house in America." It's a big enough attraction to have a visitor center.

EGGER North American Headquarters:
Construction has started on this massive project. It was one of the top three largest new job creation / economic development projects of 2017 in North Carolina.

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

West End Station Apartments:

Credit: jtc3k

500 West Fifth:
The student startup space has opened and work is now beginning on the Center for Women in Entrepreneurship and Business.

Credit: synthetic_playground

Another New Brewery:
An executive from the world's largest furniture store and two partners are working on plans for a new brewery. At this time, we don't know the name of the proposed brewery. Winston-Salem is becoming known as a craft beer city (was recently ranked second in the southeast) and it's exciting to see another planned brewery. This city always has two or three breweries under-construction. It appears as if this will continue.

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:
As was previously posted, the upscale grocery market and bistro will open on September 7. They are currently holding weekly events. I guess it's like an extended "soft opening" while they work on stocking shelves and finishing the interior?

Credit: canteen411

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
Someone at the WSTB Forum reported there is a lien on this building, which may explain why it was taking so long to clad it?

It's on the far left:

Credit: khanflikd

New Jobs - National General Insurance:
National General Insurance is proposing creating 622 new jobs in Winston-Salem and investing $12.6 million in renovations to an office building. They are requesting state, county, and city incentives to bring these jobs to Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem is competing with Cleveland, Ohio for these jobs. It appears as if Winston-Salem is the preferred location, if the incentives are approved? The company could have around 2,000 jobs in Winston-Salem in the next five years, if Winston-Salem is selected.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Credit: nc_beer_pride

Aerial View:

Credit: nickboyles5

Other Side at Night:

Credit: perfection_fitness_llc

Credit: lazarate90

Credit: linkinnovationquarter

Incendiary Brewing Company:

The brewery's community tables:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Alternative Transportation:

Passageway Park:

Credit: shmisarah

Random Photographs:

New artwork from Dennis Wells at Mission Pizza:

Credit: dennis_wells_art

Your City

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:53 AM
Fourth and Main

Development Opportunity - Crystal Towers For Sale:
Offers from developers will be accepted between August 20 - October 15 to buy Crystal Towers. It is a downtown Mid-Century Modern residential high-rise in need of major renovations. Instead of making the renovations, the owner has decided to sell it. The building has 201 apartments and a garden. You may have seen it in northern and eastern skyline views. It's on Sixth street, near the convention center and downtown library. If you do buy it, you can reclad it to look like a new glass residential or office high-rise. You can also add balconies, if you reclad it. The buyer will likely be someone who loves Mid-Century Modern architecture, though? They are expecting it to become an office building for a tech company or to be renovated into upscale residential. Mid-Century Modern is very trendy right now and developers have made offers, many times in the past few years, to buy this building. It's finally for sale! Make an offer for it, today!

Credit: winstonwatchman

Your City

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:24 AM

Many of those older mid-century buildings were so solidly built, perhaps concrete walls between the units, that it would be a tragedy to tear a building like this down. If it's achievable, adding balconies would be a real plus, or a rooftop deck for the occupants.

In Minneapolis they built the Towers Condominiums back in the early 60's, and, hard to believe there was 12 inches of concrete poured between the floors and poured concrete walls between the units. I knew someone that bought a unit and he explained it to me. That building will outlast World War III.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:03 PM

Potentially a bit of controversy with this sale, but it's definitely a must. The location is great, the park is mature and I'm sure the views from up top are incredible. I'm happy to see this happen.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:09 AM
Fourth and Main

I noticed the floors on Crystal Towers are twice as thick as those on new residential high-rises. It is a very solid structure, designed by Winston-Salem-based CJMW. I think CJMW modernist Michael Newman may have designed it? Newer high-rise apartment towers are usually built with post-tension concrete, allowing for thinner floors. I'm guessing Philadelphia-based PMC Property Group may bid for this building? They have worked on Mid-Century Modern high-rises in the past and are looking for another building in Winston-Salem. Since this architectural style is so loved in Winston-Salem, with several of downtown's newest structures built in a contemporary version of this style, I'm guessing the buyer will likely restore the exterior and keep it Mid-Century Modern?

Winston-Salem has another apartment high-rise, called Sunrise Towers, that looks very similar to Crystal Towers. They were constructed two years apart and designed by the same architect. Sunrise Towers is on the other side of downtown and was threatened with demolition a few years ago for a stick-built apartment and retail development. I seem to remember the cost of demolition was very high for Sunrise Towers? Sunrise Towers is still operating as a residential tower, but likely has many of the same issues we are seeing with Crystal towers? I would like to see both residential towers restored or renovated.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:31 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. For many of us, residing in other cities/states, this is the only way we can follow what is happening. Thank you, again!

This week, some of the world's best tennis stars are in Winston-Salem for the Winston-Salem Open. If you like tennis, be sure to visit this weekend!

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: onecrazylovephoto

Credit: kostaman21

Workers are constructing the soffit over the ground floor windows and entrances:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Patten / Realty Building Condominiums:

A better photograph of the 1922 building to be renovated in this adaptive-reuse project:

Credit: pdssn

Robert Hall Brewing Company:
It appears as if this craft brewery project may include residential? We are still waiting on the official announcement.

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building: Built!
This adaptive-reuse of the 1928 Home Builders Company Building into retail and tech company office space is now completed. Downtown's new urban market and bistro (Canteen) is open and the Chamber of Commerce is upstairs. I think the building still has one retail space available? I'm not sure how much tech company office space is available? It's a nice renovation of a building that has seen many renovations over the years. If you live downtown, you'll love the new market with prepared foods and interesting upscale grocery items. I'm not sure what will happen on September 7th (announced grand opening) at this building, but it is officially open? The upscale grocery market will extend their hours to 10 p.m., every day, starting next week.

Grocery Carts:

First Customer:

Winston Junction:

Credit: Industry Hill

Credit: earlsws

Scrap wood to be recycled into a new bar:

Amazon Fulfillment Center:
Work has started on this project. You may find this as a surprise: No incentives are involved.

500 West Fifth:

Credit: danielparra3

Credit: salemcollegesga

Merschel Plaza Park:
North Carolina's most famous skateboarding attraction was demolished, starting construction on downtown Winston-Salem's newest park. We can now add this to our construction list. Maybe the new park with underground parking will have new attractions for skateboarders?

Credit: roninraleigh

Credit: tim_hutch

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Credit: urbanmez

The concrete building, in the background, will be demolished for Kaleideum Science Museum:

Alamance Repertory Theatre:
The Alamance Repertory Theatre Company will open a 75 seat theatre in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District. This will be an equity theatre and have different shows monthly, starting in September. Construction will be completed September 7. The building will have Just Desserts Coffee & Dessert Bar and McNeely Gallery as ground floor tenants.

First Baptist Church Restoration:

This part of the structure will be demolished as part of downsizing the church:

Workers on the roof of a structure to be demolished:

Demolition begins:

Bailey South:
This project will be completed on November 1, 2019.

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:
We have more details on this project. It will have 20,000 square feet of office space and 22,000 square feet of retail space. Work on this adaptive-reuse project will begin later this year. They are converting a former Ford automobile assembly plant and dealership into a mixed-use building. If you would like to lease office or retail space in this building, please call (336) 724-1715 and ask for Ben. This is on Liberty Street, in downtown's Arts District, which is becoming one of the top streets for new projects in downtown. It will lease fast, so call Ben, today!

Credit: Linville | Team

I love the original steel windows and belt pulleys from the old Ford assembly lines!

The original steel windows help to make this building awesome:

The back of the building has a really nice historic storefront:

Downtown Winston-Salem's newest craft brewery will open at the end of next week, with live music in The Coal Pit and great beer!

Credit: incendiarybrew

Lava-themed Tap Handles:

Credit: marctalcott

Aerial View:

Credit: dashley253

An angle we don't see very often:

Credit: dominicgraymedia

Credit: penny.converse

Your City

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Labor Day weekend is almost here!
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Just five more windows to install on this facade:

Credit: la.vack

Note the curved entrance and the park with underground parking site is cleared:

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Keep in mind: Two more buildings will be constructed around Hotel Indigo, hiding the rough-looking walls on the building's back sides.

Completed framing for windows & doors and soffit is framed:

Sunnyside is making 65 of these custom chairs for Hotel Indigo:

They have a nice Mid-Century Modern look to them.

Veterans Nursing Home:
The state of North Carolina is purchasing a site across from the VA Hospital for a 120-bed veterans nursing home. LS3P Associates is the architect and the State of North Carolina and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs are the developer. No renderings at this time. This project will create around 200 new healthcare jobs. Construction could begin in Fall 2019.

500 West Fifth:
The ribbon was cut at the Center for Women in Entrepreneurship and Business. It is officially open, though it appears as if construction isn't 100% completed on it?

It's the skyscraper in the background:

Ribbon Cutting for Center for Women in Entrepreneurship and Business:

Credit: synthetic_playground

Dram & Draught Whiskey Bar:
Dram & Draught Whiskey Bar is in lease negotiations for retail space at Bailey Power Plant. Dram & Draught has 370 different whiskeys, craft cocktails, and a selection of curated beer and wine. Owner Drew Schenck said they have one of the best antique collections in the state for whiskey lovers. They want a location in the Innovation Quarter (downtown's IQ District) and would like to open by next year. As part of the impressive Bailey Power Plant development, we may follow this project if photographs are available?

Credit: murrell

Wachovia House Apartments:
JDL Castle has hired CJMW as the architect for this project. They (architects) are currently looking-over the building and starting the design process. This is the conversion of North Carolina's oldest steel-frame skyscraper into an apartment and retail building.

Winston Junction:

Credit: ladywitteveen

Credit: industryhillwsnc

Merschel Plaza Park:

Credit: vincerabil

New Jobs - Marketing:
A San Francisco-area marketing agency is looking around Winston-Salem and the downtown area for a new east coast office. Not many details at this time.

New Distillery:
Someone from Vermont is interested in opening a new distillery in downtown. No real details at this time.

Demolishing the back-half of the church:

Credit: winston_360

Demolishing the back-half of the church:

This brewery opens on Friday! Yes, tomorrow! It's a hops forward brewery. They will have a good number of IPAs, with a brut IPA, brut IPA citra, west coast IPA, and a New England IPA. They will also have several traditional beers, too. Look for a pilsner, two witbiers, an amber ale, and a Berliner Weisse, along with frequent changes to their beers, so it's different every time you visit. Incendiary will offer sours, barrel-aged beers, and adjunct stouts in the near-future. Expect a different beer every Friday. As for events, the brewmaster will teach a yoga class and an existing weekly Thursday-night downtown running event will end at the brewery. Look for music events, too. Keep in mind: When these breweries open, they often run-out of beers early, so you need to arrive early! Winston-Salem is a beer city and will kick nearly every keg in a new brewery on opening day. Don't be surprised to see them expand very quickly, due to high demand. And that is why Winston-Salem always seems to have two or three breweries under construction at the same time.

The light fixture is from a wooden hoop found in the building:

Incendiary plans to use all 20 taps for their beers when they reach full production:

Credit: wffellows

Regional Bus Expansion:
The FHA and NCDOT are providing $5.4 million to add new regional bus routes to downtown Winston-Salem and improve & expand capacity on existing regional routes to downtown Winston-Salem. We could see these new routes and improvements as early as October. 30-50% discounts are available for riders, if you're interested in trying the expanded service and new routes. Ask your employer for more information.

Random Photographs:

Credit: _univrsalbeauty

Credit: mikesaigh

Nice view at Wake Forest University School of Engineering in downtown's IQ District:

Credit: designsbydt

Your City

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 4:41 PM

As always, thanks for the update Matthew! I was on the Wake Forest webpage yesterday. The kickoff story focuses on the role of a Wake alum in downtown redevelopment. Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tlEOjiMpRpE

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:59 PM
Fourth and Main

Incendiary Brewing Company: Built!
Downtown Winston-Salem's newest brewery is now open! With the first retail space tenant opening in The Coal Pit, Bailey Power Plant's Coal Pit is now activated with large crowds and that is awesome to see! The Coal Pit is like an industrial-themed Piazza, surrounded by tech company offices, conference space, startup spaces, and retail spaces in former power plant buildings with a railroad trestle boardwalk above. Next month, a Neapolitan pizza restaurant will open next to this brewery and, in a few months, we could see a whiskey bar open at The Coal Pit, to further activate it. Two more buildings will start construction, possibly this month or next month, with even more office and retail space to add bigger crowds to The Coal Pit. Back to the brewery: I told you they would have massive crowds and extreme demand for their beers and they did! Everyone seems to love this new brewery, for both the beers and the industrial power plant location, and the crowds are still strong several days after their opening! WOW! With another brewery under-construction and a brewery pulling permits to start construction and another brewery in design, Winston-Salem's craft beer boom continues! If you like beer, visit Winston-Salem and try the new breweries opening!

The Calm Before The Opening...

Credit: ktouchstone

Found items from the old power plant:

Soft Opening for Friends & Family Only / Testing Before Opening...

Credit: juggheadsws

Grand Opening...

Credit: bphillis

Credit: carolinabeerguy

Credit: esca_the_vagabond

Credit: signaturerealestatews

Credit: bbbrookeabee

Sunday...
The crowds are still massive on the second day, which is a Sunday! Huge crowds, both day and night! Some of these reports said so many kegs were kicked, the brewery was down to just four Incendiary beers by Sunday afternoon? WOW! Reviews are good and everyone loves the industrial location and The Coal Pit outdoor space. The IPAs are rated very well by our photographers, below. The next time you visit, be sure to stop at Incendiary Brewing. I want to try this new brewery on my next visit.

Just how many kegs were kicked on opening night...

Credit: wiseman.ma

Credit: tnbikesnob

Credit: lilgeorge3272

Credit: denisesheldonkoontz

Credit: travisprovenzola

Credit: meezelv

Credit: southerngirlinlaceandpearls

Monday...
The crowds and nice comments on their beers & building continue to pour-in. Pun intended!

"Cool place, good brew with good friends"

Credit: eddiep63

"Here’s to Mondays that feel like Sundays."

Credit: quartercup

This brewery is already appearing on must visit lists for the best breweries in North Carolina and they just opened! Very impressive!

Your City

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 6:05 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. Please continue to photograph and share construction sites with us.

We still have more breweries we are following and I have updates on two, below...

With so many hotel projects in today's update, maybe we need a video with a hotel in it:
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
The completion date for this project was pushed-back another month. Yes, again. This hotel will open around Thanksgiving week.

View from the 7th or 8th floor, before sunrise:

Credit: jesseg

View from the second floor wine bar & art museum:

Credit: jesseg

Efird Block Restoration:

Another look at the "noir" offices inside the building:

Wachovia House Apartments:
This project is now moving forward and making appearances in our updates! Heritage Consulting Group was hired to seek historic tax credits for this project. It is the adaptive-reuse of Wachovia Bank's first skyscraper into apartments and retail. This is North Carolina's oldest steel frame skyscraper.

It's the building on the far left of this photograph:

Credit: samantha.lebri

Gypsy Road Brewing Company:
This brewery is nearing completion. We haven't seen an update in a long time!

The bar is made from salvaged wood:

Credit: Gypsy Road Brewing Company

Door made from salvaged wood:

A look at the outside of the former industrial building:

Downtown Marriott Renovation: Built!
This project is now completed!

Credit: twin_city_quarter

National Black Theatre Hall of Fame and Museum:
This project is now pulling permits and is close to entering our first post construction list.

Bailey South:
New renderings of this 6-storey office & retail project, which should break ground in downtown's IQ District in the next few weeks. The tech company office space is 68% pre-leased. The retail/restaurant spaces are 53% pre-leased. No word on who the tenants are at this time.

Credit: Linville | Team Partners

Credit: Linville | Team Partners

LA Reynolds Brewery & Mixed-use:
Winston-Salem's newest brewery proposal now has city approval to move forward. This adaptive-reuse project will have 229 apartments, retail spaces, a green space for dogs, a farmer's market, and a new craft brewery.

1815 John Blum House Restoration:
We haven't seen an update on this project in months! It is the restoration of a 203 year-old house.

Credit: valpresent

Credit: oldsaleminc

Crawford Condominiums:
This project is temporary upscale housing for executives moving to Winston-Salem. Yes, part of the city's tech boom. A growing number of executives are transferred to or are moving to Winston-Salem from other states or countries and need temporary upscale condominiums. The ground floor of the building will have a cafe and public restrooms for the Merschel Plaza park space. Construction will begin possibly a week from now, with completion set for September 2019.

Merschel Plaza Park:
The park's underground parking will feature a mechanical lift to stack cars above each other and maximize the underground parking space. This park will feature artwork that honors the contribution of women to Winston-Salem's civic life. Work on the park will likely continue until late-2019. An organization will be formed (Friends of the Park) to raise money for more services and operations, after the park's completion.

When the new Hyatt Place Hotel and science museum are completed, this should be an impressive view:

Credit: jarredhill

Development Opportunity - Crystal Towers For Sale:
There is still time to make an offer for this building. It could be converted into trendy Mid-century Modern tech company office space or updated residential space or it could be reclad to appear like a new glass office or residential building. There are so many things you can do with it! Make an offer on or before October 15.

Winston Junction:

Someone from the WSTB Forum shared the "Phase I" plan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHtoWS @ WSTB Forum

Cutting and removing the original steel-frame windows:

Credit: wadecodesign

Cutting the main entrance into the building:

Please don't replace those original windows with whatever is on-sale at the local builder supply. Find similar windows in the size you need. Historic windows and new windows that match the originals are a big part of what make historic adaptive-reuse projects desirable spaces.

This week, downtown's IQ District appeared in an urbanism blog as a great national example and was toured by another city, looking for ideas. This part of downtown is doing everything right.

Credit: c.campbell_photography

Installing Doors:

Credit: wiseman.ma

Door installations:

Credit: SEPTA 5761

Door installations as of Wednesday (9/5):

Credit: justinchandler1988

Yesterday (9/7):

Credit: boonvillenc

Your City

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:37 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

All you want is Winston-Salem, but maybe not the hurricane...
Video Link

You expected a different hurricane song? I think this is at least a finalist for most obscure hurricane song? I'm not sure how Hurricane Florence will impact next week's construction update? Stay safe this weekend!

Bailey South:
A look inside the proposed 6-storey creative/tech company office building with retail, project. Developer Front Street Capital is now closing on the site. They will adaptive-reuse this existing 1920s structure and build a large new addition on the back.

Are you ready for another brewery?

Work is now starting on the brewery building expansion and outdoor area:

Credit: JKS

Hurricane moving in (9/13):

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:

Steel is now rising at this site:

Credit: CRA

Hotel Indigo:
The stair tower is now two floors taller and workers are painting the hotel room floors.

Credit: triadrepro

Stair tower is only one floor away from completion, with hurricane moving-in (9/13):

Merschel Plaza Park:

Creating the underground parking deck and pile driving for Hyatt Place Hotel:

Demolition of the back-half of the building to down-size the church. This church had over 2,000 members 50+ years ago. Today, it has less than 500 members and must demolish these buildings to downsize. A smaller new structure and park space will replace these larger and older buildings. It's sad they couldn't sell them to an apartment developer or tech company, to preserve them.

Workers demolish the skybridges linking these buildings to the main church:

500 West Fifth:
The Center for Private Business is moving into the 21-storey skyscraper. These photographs show when their space in the skyscraper was under construction. STITCH Design Shop was the interior upfit architect.

Credit: centerforprivatebusiness

531 North Liberty Office Space: Built!
Work on the office space upfit finally moved forward this summer and is now completed. They have a CO for this space. These photographs are from maybe three weeks ago? I like this office space design and would like to work here! This is the office space above Crafted, the Art of the Taco. It's a beautiful office space and it's great to finally show the work of this awesome company that restores original hardwood floors.

These photographs were taken before the floor was restored:

Credit: heritagehardwoodfloorsnc

This photograph shows the finished floors:

Hurricane moving into the area (Yesterday 9/13):

This person recently moved to Winston-Salem from Minneapolis - Thank you for the construction update:

Credit: ejforney

Random Photograph:

Credit: wendyintheworld

Congratulations to Winston-Salem-native Nia Imani Franklin. She is the 2019 Miss America winner. She also has a master’s degree in music composition from UNC School of the Arts in Winston-Salem.

Congratulations to Travis Myers at Willow’s Bistro on Liberty Street in downtown Winston-Salem. He won the N.C. Restaurant and Lodging Association's Chef of the Year award. Their top honor. Myers said “I wanted to be one of those people telling the story of how important local food is. How important regional food is. People want to know where their groceries are coming from. They want to know the farmer. And we’re ambassadors of that."

Your City

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:33 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

If we don't have as many update photographs this week, it's due to the hurricane. It didn't have much of an impact on Winston-Salem, but did reduce the number of photographs, with rainy days.

Video Link

Workers are still demolishing the back-half of the church, to downsize it:

Tuesday (9/18):

Nu Expression will move their headquarters to the former Elks Lodge in downtown, as part of this mixed-use project. Nu Expression is one of the Triad's largest marketing agencies.

Hotel Indigo:

Construction during Hurricane Florence (9/14):

Back-to-work on Monday (9/17):

Sky clears by late Monday afternoon:

I think this multi-structure project has construction workers every day? I've seen workers on-site on both Saturday and Sunday. It's two hotels, temporary executive condominiums, a park, and underground parking.

Forsyth County Courthouse:
County Construction Manager, Gary Key, said Samet and Balfour Beatty could still make the decision to build one 10-12 storey tower if it is seen as the best option.

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:

Window Displays on the building's history in the former downtown Ford Factory & Dealership:

Credit: shaecreative

Public Art - Immigrant Sculptures:
Brooklyn, NY.,-based artist Jasmin Chang and photographer Kisha Bari are proposing to create sculptures for downtown Winston-Salem and each of Winston-Salem's eight wards. They appear to be themed on immigrants? In the renderings of the sculptures, I see "I Stand With Immigrants" on their T-shirts? They will do interviews and photograph locals for the sculptures. The nearly quarter-million-dollar sculpture project will be completed in early 2020. According to the artist, it will take nearly half-a-year to produce and fabricate the sculptures. Maybe we will have more information about these, soon?

Sculptures proposed for downtown:

Credit: Jasmin Chang

Credit: Jasmin Chang

Indoor Soccer Facility:
Delia Alvarado has plans for an adaptive-reuse project that will convert an old trucking warehouse at 1770 South MLK into an indoor soccer facility. This project is entering the permitting phase and could begin construction, soon. This is very close to Winston-Salem State University and the downtown area. LMI Builders is the General Contractor. This is a very exciting project! Maybe it will appear in the news soon, to provide more details? I see another old warehouse, possibly from the 1920s and in rough shape, was demolished on the property. I'm guessing this could be a much larger project? Possibly with both indoor and outdoor soccer fields? It's a very large site. I only have information on this one building, though.

Credit: phinnymichele

A nice view from the windows:

Credit: madeforyouvideo

And the hurricane/depression is gone by Monday afternoon:

Credit: ncsunshine77

Passageway Park:
Is this project completed? I noticed they are hosting events, including a shadow puppet show. Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy!

Credit: wherehouse_art_hotel

Random Photographs:

This is only half of the skyline, from the North:

Credit: tarqac

Your City

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:21 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Are you ready for another brewery project!

Video Link

Demolishing the back-half of the church to downsize:

View from the skyscraper across the street on Thursday (9/20):

Hoots Brewing Company - Downtown:
More brewery projects! Hoots Brewing Company is looking at a location at Trade and Seventh streets. This is located in downtown's Arts District, near the new AFAS Center for the Arts and Mission Pizza Napoletana.

500 West Fifth:

Dinner in a dumpster, with a very nice view... Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy:

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Grinding Working on the expanded main entrance:

Credit: danielparra3

Credit: anndavisrowe

Encompass Health Winston-Salem Hospital:
This project will open on October 8, with 143 new employees and 68 beds. The official ribbon cutting is today, though.

Hotel Indigo:
Kitchen equipment has arrived. They still haven't installed the windows on the ground floor. They have plastic over the ground floor window openings. However, they appear to be very close to that step. I can confirm the stair tower has topped-out and work has started on the underground parking.

A look inside at the soffit (hiding HVAC duct-work) and main entrance:

Stair tower topped-out:

Merschel Plaza Park:

Work on the underground parking deck:

Credit: adam_r_houston

New Jobs - Piedmont Hoist & Crane:
Piedmont Hoist & Crane will move their headquarters and crane manufacturing operations to Winston-Salem. I love cranes, so this is an exciting project! This is a two phase project. Phase I addresses their immediate need to add more crane manufacturing space and Phase II will add the office space for their headquarters and additional manufacturing space for cranes, allowing the entire company to move into this one building. They have acquired the site and will own and construct their own building! Yes, they are also a general contracting company! Smith Architecture will design the building, with construction starting in November and the first phase opening in March 2019. No incentives are involved. This company designs and builds massive cranes for the U.S. Navy, Boeing, and many more. It's a great headquarters to have in Winston-Salem and it will be awesome to have cranes made in this city!

A tower crane was taken down at this site:

Credit: daniel_in_nc

Passageway Park: Built!
Do you know if this project is completed? It appears to be completed? I see the wayfinding is now in place and the park is hosting artsy events, like puppet shows, art pop-ups, and live music. This is a beautiful renovation of a Brutalist concrete downtown alley from nearly 50 years ago. Originally, this alley connected other streets to Winston-Salem's former downtown pedestrian mall and an enclosed ice skating rink. The pedestrian mall was demolished decades ago and this alley, designed as a shortcut to the pedestrian mall, is all that remains of it. It's great to see it used for events.

Credit: shirelleve

Credit: heyblakeney

Credit: heyblakeney

Credit: wherehouse_art_hotel

Random Photographs:

An Art Deco building we rarely see on the forums, on Fifth Street:

Credit: anndavisrowe

Historic rowhouses on Fourth Street:

Your City

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:07 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Demolition to downsize the church:

A look inside at the spaces to be restored:

Hotel Indigo:
I now have the name of the chef. David Swing Jr., will be the chef of Sir Winston, expected to open around Thanksgiving. I will be surprised if the hotel opens at the end of next month.

Fourth Street view:

Credit: adventures_aslaurie

Aerial view:

Credit: chefswing

Credit: winston_360

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
Baltimore-based developers C.A. Harrison Companies and Champion Holdings are converting an old industrial building from 1922 into 152 apartments with tennis courts and a rooftop pool and amenity level. The building will have 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. The developers expect to spend around $32 million on this adaptive-reuse project. This is within reasonable walking/cycling distance to the glass Pepsi Cola office building, proposed Cook Medical Devices building and Wake Forest University. I think another biotech lab is also on this street and within walking distance? Aon is also just down the street. It could have an interesting mix of office workers, scientists, professors, and students.

Credit: Champion Holdings

500 West Fifth:

Lobby expansion:

Lobby expansion:

Merschel Plaza Park:

Electrical/utility vaults and underground parking excavation:

ABC of NC: Built!
This project is now completed. I think it's designed to help people with autism learn to live independent lives? It is the only facility like this in the Carolinas. It has replicas of actual stores and an apartment.

Credit: abcofnc

Only one tower crane at the site:

Credit: matts_vanlife

Credit: Lynda - Focal Point Styling

Random Photographs:

Credit: taylored.perfectly

Do you like the outdoors (mountain biking, rowing, hiking, camping, rock climbing, kayaking, etc.)?

In the Winston-Salem metro area, you'll find mountains, rivers, vineyards, lakes, and trails:

Credit: elliemckinneyphotography

You don't have to drive hours to reach places like this if you live in Winston-Salem. It's right here!

Credit: cacasoria

Your City

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:29 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Billy Joel will perform in Winston-Salem this weekend, so we should find one of his songs for today's update. It's one of only two tour dates in the southeast. I'm not sure if you can still find tickets or not?

Open the windows and turn-up the volume:
Video Link

Are you ready for hotel updates? We have several hotel projects in today's update. We also have a few projects we rarely see updates on!

Hotel Indigo:

Bricks have arrived to clad the stair tower and back-of-house structure:

Credit: joebylr

I think this could be a look at the inside, but I'm not sure... it could be from another project:

The floor matches samples the developer shared in a previous photograph posted in this thread and Sunnyside used a downtown hashtag for this project. Again, that vanity could be from someone's downtown condo or it could be a look at the hotel rooms? Though I'm not sure, I'll share it anyway.

Credit: deavachestnut

Credit: __jonreed__

Credit: taylorhayesart

Hyatt Place Hotel:

Merschel Plaza Park:

Excavation for underground parking:

500 West Fifth:

Credit: camelcitymassage

Chronicle Building Adaptive-reuse:
The Pope Companies purchased the former Chronicle Building for their next adaptive-reuse project. This is the same development team behind the restoration of the Crafted: The Art of the Taco building, on the same street.

The Chronicle Building is known for this mural:

Credit: jtc3k

Efird Block Restoration:

Still waiting for the Ohio-based developer to start work on this restoration project:

Credit: maddy_carlson210

Bailey South:
The developer applied for permits to restore this building for retail/entertainment tenants and construct a new six-storey addition for creative and tech company office space. This is very close to starting construction! It's located inside downtown's IQ District.

Historic 1926 power plant building to be restored for retail/entertainment:

Credit: yestowinstonsalem

The 1926 power plant building at night:

Credit: a_s_mitchell

It's rare to find any photographs of this project. If you walk past this site, please photograph it for us. I don't remember the last time we had an update on this project and it's a very large apartment building.

Credit: patrickraymakes

New balcony railings installed:

Credit: westendstationapts

A look at how large this apartment development appears on the skyline:

Credit: lovely_wandy

Science & Office Building:
This project topped-out on October 2. It's so exciting to see an update on it! it's right at the John Gold Expressway, as you enter downtown!

Credit: WSSU Photography

Workers have restored the vintage neon sign for this new downtown brewery. They are currently seeking permission from the City of Winston-Salem to reuse this restored sign on the exterior of the brewery. This was the roughly 75 year-old sign for clothing store Robert Hall, on Fifth Street. It was a national chain and yes, this is the roughly 75 year-old original sign from Fifth Street. Look for craft beer, a rooftop bar, and great food in this new brewery, currently under construction.

Restoring a vintage sign from downtown Winston-Salem's past for this new neon-themed brewery:

"Big band era" commercials for the former clothing store from a 78 rpm record (1940s?):
Video Link

Workers are currently constructing the framing for the storefronts on Fifth Street. Sadly, I don't have a good photograph of the storefronts.

Credit: a_s_mitchell

Credit: the_painted_porch_winston

Random Photographs:

Rough terrain in the West Salem Neighborhood:

Credit: revsarahhowler

The mountains you see from downtown Winston-Salem have beautiful waterfalls:

Credit: thesourwitch

West End Village Neighborhood:

Credit: jk.lawson

Winston-Salem's "high line" elevated bike and walking path on a former rail line (This bridge is called "Rainbow Road" by cyclists):

Do you have 3D red/blue anaglyph glasses:

Credit: JPDoesTV

Your City

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:26 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Did you have a great Pride Week!
In Winston-Salem, Pride is an entire week of fun, ending in a big street-closing festival. If you took photographs of any construction projects while attending Pride, please share them! Lately, it has become difficult to find photographs of Hotel Indigo. This is the first week I couldn't find any photographs of the hotel's construction.

Video Link

Bailey South:
Startup accelerator 100 Watt and award-winning advertising agency The Variable are the lead tenants in this project, leasing most of the office space. Developer Front Street Capital will also lease office space in this building. The Variable was Ad Age's Small Agency of the Year winner for three of the past four years, including 2018, and is growing rapidly. Front Street Capital is the Triad's leading developer. The three companies will move into their new office space in January 2020. They still have more office and retail tenants to announce for the project. The retail space tenants with leases, to be announced soon, are two restaurants and a retailer. They have more retail space in this project for lease, if you're interested. This project will reuse an old 1926 power plant building for two floors of retail/entertainment space and construct a new six-storey office building on the historic building's back side. Sadly, they have changed the design to make it a grey building, removing all of the warm colors. Please bring back the warm colors.

The design has changed, removing all of the bright and warm colors and replacing them with grey:

Credit: innovationquarter

The Variable Agency's "VA" logo looks great on this building:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Soda-blasting:

Boiler:

Uber Aviation Engineering Headquarters?:
Mark Moore, Uber's new Director of Engineering for Aviation, is moving to the Winston-Salem area. Before recently accepting the job with Uber, Mark Moore worked for NASA for 30 years, performing design studies of advanced aircraft. He has purchased an entire golf course in suburban Winston-Salem, near the John Gold Expressway, which passes through downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District (Innovation District) and Smith Reynolds Airport, for his new home. He is studying converting the clubhouse into his home, which will have 172 acres. He said he will keep the land as-is, upgrading the course into one of the best in the southeast, or remove the golf course and make it a forest preserve. Rumors are circulating he is moving here to open a flying car engineering and testing site for San Francisco-based Uber. This "could" be the major out-of-state tenant interested in a new 11-12 storey building at Fourth Street and Patterson Avenue, across from Bailey Park in downtown's IQ District? The unknown tenant for the 11-12 storey building is still in talks and could be announced very soon. It "could" also be the rumored west coast-based tech company interested in building a skyscraper downtown? Dr. Eric Tomlison said they were working to bring a major tech company headquarters to downtown's IQ District. It will be interesting to see if this is the company? It's not confirmed at this time. If so, it's just a division headquarters. It's still very exciting! Possibly more tech jobs to generate more downtown development around the IQ District!

Merschel Plaza Park:

Credit: hannahkylene

An angle we usually don't see:

Credit: theonewhobreaks

ARTC Theatre: Built!
The Alamance Repertory Theatre project is now known as ARTC (artsy) Theatre and has a new home in the downtown Arts District, on Seventh Street. They intended to open on Trade Street, until they discovered a larger building on Seventh Street was available. The new location allowed them to expand their seating by 33% and this space has a larger stage. Yes, this adaptive-reuse project is completed and open! Look for music, poetry, and theatre in this space. It will also have a gluten-free/vegan cafe/bakery.

Hurricane Michael moving-in:

Credit: signaturerealestatews

View from Winston-Salem's high line, as hurricane (It was downgraded at this point, but I don't know what it was classified as?) Michael moves-in:

Credit: lil_bit_of_liz

Low Line:
Construction begins next month. This project now includes two paths connecting Fourth Street to the retail in the three surrounding buildings. It's the transformation of abandoned rail lines into elevated boardwalks, connecting Fourth Street to restaurants and retail, with places to eat and relax outdoors.

New Rendering:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

The elevated rail lines of the Low Line (You can also see the storefronts at Link Apartments Innovation Quarter):

Downtown Streetscape Plan:
As the city prepares to completely transform the downtown streetscape, in another year or two, the city has hired San Francisco-based MIG (Moore Iacofano & Goltsman), along with Urbane Environments, Retail Advisory Services, and ColeJenest & Stone, to completely redesign the streets, sidewalks, street furniture, lighting, signage, landscaping, etc.,. The city will also change several streets into two-way streets and will improve cycling infrastructure as part of this project. If you would like to learn more or make recommendations for the project, look for public meetings in the next few weeks.

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
This rare update is from a few weeks ago.

You can see the cast iron main entrance:

Credit: City of WS

The dark circle is a light fixture or a skylight (I'm not 100% sure?):

Off-Subject:

Roanoke Visiting Downtown Winston-Salem for Ideas:
City leaders from Roanoke, VA., will visit downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District to look for revitalization ideas. The trip is scheduled for later this month. Be sure to welcome the out-of-town guests.

River Otter Mural Nominated for Award:
Do you remember the large river otter mural, from a few months ago? That mural is nominated for a North American art award. It will compete against murals from across the United States and Canada for the award.

Random Photographs:

The city's fifth tallest skyscraper in body paint for Pride Week

Credit: mattmls7

Credit: lucent_life_counseling

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Oct 14, 2018 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 4:12 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

I apologize for being a day late with the update.

Did you know: Winston-Salem is now ranked the 12th best brewery city in the United States.

If you love the topics discussed in this thread, you should vote! The people voted into office approve funding, approve projects, and appoint others who make decisions on projects discussed here. The bonds also include several projects discussed here. You can move projects in this thread forward by voting for the bonds! Do the research to see everyone's stand on important development issues in this city. Don't just protest, complain about those currently in office, or post complaints to social media... VOTE! And don't forget to vote for the bonds!

Video Link

I love this city! We are talking about a 203 year-old house being restored, restoration of an amazing historic train station, converting a former neon factory into a neon-themed brewery, converting an old produce warehouse into an entertainment complex, the renovation of a 1928 silent movie theatre and the attached 12-storey building, restoring multiple historic buildings on Liberty into office and retail space, converting an Art Deco luxury department store into an 8-storey boutique hotel... Yes, this in North Carolina and not somewhere up north.

Hotel Indigo:
The first three photographs are roughly three weeks old, as Hurricane Florence moved toward North Carolina, but they are new to us! According to the local newspaper, construction will be completed in five or six weeks? I doubt it will open then, but I guess we shall see. IHG's Hotel Indigo reservations site says this hotel will be completed in 17 weeks and that appears more accurate to me.

Roof Access from three weeks ago:

Credit: severineutiger

Remember: This is three weeks old and the clouds are from Hurricane Florence...

Looking down on the Hyatt Place Hotel site from the roof of Hotel Indigo around three weeks ago:

A look at the bar design for Hotel Indigo:

Our first new photograph in a long time:

Credit: lettersfromwinston

500 West Fifth:

Credit: lynnwoodindustries

Merschel Plaza Park:

Credit: stephanie_fox

Bailey Power Plant Complex:

New signage at the power plant mixed-use development:

Credit: innovationquarter

Uber Elevate:
Uber Elevate executive Mark Moore will sell the golf course part of the property he purchased for his new home to a local group that will continue to operate the golf course. Uber Elevate executive Mark Moore will move from suburban Las Vegas to the renovated clubhouse on the property, which he will keep, along with 10 acres of the property. Still, no word on if Uber Elevate will lease office space in a proposed 11-12 storey building in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The top executive of Uber Elevate is, without a doubt, moving to suburban Winston-Salem. That is confirmed.

I didn't know the demolished buildings had multiple basement levels?

Winston Junction:
The first tenant in this adaptive-reuse project will open around November 17. Earl's will be a live music venue with singer-songwriters and Americana music. Look for a large outdoor patio, 12 taps, cocktails, and a massive bar. The restaurant will have southern food with vegan or vegetarian options. They have secured one of the best chefs in Winston-Salem for the restaurant. No one involved is named Earl. The owners appear to be from New York City and Los Angeles and have recently moved to Winston-Salem to build their dream restaurant and entertainment venue.

Converting loading docks into an outdoor patio space (will expand the building to the sidewalk):

Efird Block Restoration:
LMI Builders was selected as the General Contractor for this project and they are very close to starting restoration work on these buildings!

LMI Builders on the roof of the Efird Block Buildings:

Credit: lmi.builders

1815 John Blum House Restoration:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Stevens Center Renovation:

A look at the inside:

Credit: qbanozeyez

Hampton Inn construction on the left and Merschel Plaza Park excavation on the right:

Credit: camelcityneil

Aaron Sizemore will run the brewery. It appears as if they have cleared-out the junk from the building? I love the vintage Winston-Salem neon signs they are finding in their former neon factory building and it should be interesting to see how they use them in the brewery.

A neon sign, found in the building's basement, to be possibly reused in the brewery (This pool hall was at 440 N. Main, where One West Fourth is):

Brewer Aaron Sizemore in the under-construction brewery:

Credit: jamesculletondesigns

3 in 1! An aerial look at Link Apartments, Low Line, and Bailey South sites:

Credit: chriscercy

Credit: big_ran23

Storefront construction, seen from the restaurant across the street:

Credit: almamexicanaws

Storefronts are taking shape:

Credit: alliedroofingcompany

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:

Credit: surehandsigns

Restoring signage in an historic multi-storey train station designed by Fellheimer & Wagner:

"24 23.5 kt gold signs in 3.5 days"

Random Photographs:

Historic structure from the 1910s in the Waughtown Neighborhood:

Credit: juanvidalpro

Circular Knitting Machine located outside a condominium building:

Credit: image360wsn

Credit: tucker_smith01

Look for celebrities when you visit downtown Winston-Salem!

Carson Kressley at a bar in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District (Watch his new TV show - Get a Room - on Bravo): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Kressley

Credit: singlebrothersbarws

Your City

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 4:27 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: imagineextraordinary

Merschel Plaza Park:

The entire block is a massive multi-project construction site, with hotels, office, residential, and park space:

Credit: whatwouldjohndo

Credit: nelsonbm_

New signage at the Bailey Power Plant mixed-use complex:

Credit: taylored.perfectly

Cugino Forno Pizza Napoletana:

Cugino Forno Pizza Napoletana:

Concrete pour:

The crane is now in place:

If you're interested in these apartments, you need to visit their leasing office, today! They are now leasing units and the first residents will move-in around January. Apartments in downtown Winston-Salem usually fill very quickly. That explains why so many large apartment developments are always under construction.

Wow, this building is massive! The brick base is parking under the building:

Credit: boshnovart

A view of construction for two courtyards, with a fire pit and a large saltwater pool, from their covered terrace:

Credit: westendstationapts

A rendering of what they will build in the dirt area (upper courtyard) of the photograph above:

Credit: West End Station

Winston Junction:

Light fixtures for the bar inside the live music venue:

New Winston Museum:

Credit: whatwouldjohndo

Bailey South:

Credit: andramortensen

Credit: yng.michael

View from the roof:

Credit: hypetheengineer

Off-Subject:

Miss America Parade:
2019 Miss America, Nia Franklin, will return to her hometown of Winston-Salem on November 3 for a parade, starting in Bailey Park, and an arts panel discussion at UNCSA. She will also vote while she is home.

Winston-Salem in the National News:
NationSwell visited downtown Winston-Salem to film the city's tech transformation. They are working on an upcoming series about U.S. cities that are bucking local economic trends.

Your City

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:59 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Happy Hallowe'en and don't forget to vote! The Democrats and the bonds need your vote! Voting yes for the bonds will help several projects, such as downtown streetscape, second phase of Quarry Park, and cycling infrastructure, move forward! It's a chance for you to have a major role in projects discussed here!

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Window installation has started:

Credit: tedbraverman

An update on the brick work for the stair tower:

Credit: chefswing

Brick building between Nissen and BB&T buildings:

Credit: bryanlovessharon

Bailey South:
And it is now under construction! Someone at the WSTB Forum said they had a fence and workers at the site. We can now add it to our first post construction list. It appears as if Asheville's Buxton Hall "could" be one of the two restaurant tenants with leases at Bailey South? I'm not 100% sure, though. Still waiting for the official announcement.

Credit: diedredriggars1

A night view of the new signage and the lighting on the smokestack:

Credit: winstonhomie

Chris Paul Locker Room:
Wake Forest University is constructing new basketball clubhouses and locker rooms on campus for both the men's and women's teams, along with enhanced nutrition resources and treatment areas. NBA star Chris Paul has donated $2.5 million to the project to help move it forward. It is designed to set Wake Forest's basketball programs apart from the others and help with recruiting the best players. Walter Robbs is the architect and construction begins in Spring 2019

Credit: Walter Robbs

Winston Junction:

These doors will be reused in the live music venue:

A very cold rain moving-in:

Credit: wescrawfordd

Credit: klu1299

Credit: littlerichardsbbq

Storefront construction update from the best (my opinion) BBQ restaurant in the city:

Credit: littlerichardsbbq

Credit: brandilawsonphotography

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations