HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 1:58 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Transit Fantasies

Just read a release from the Black Press and several people talked about their top wish for the developments in the Lower Mainland. What would you want for your top wish list? A bridge connecting to Vancouver Island? An extension of Canada Line to Delta? Or perhaps a light rail to the Fraser Valley?

Quite interesting to know that we didn't get much money for the transportation infrastructure...but that did become people's top wish for the spending of the budget.

Quote:
Transit, housing, green projects top wish list

By Jeff Nagel - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: January 27, 2009 2:00 PM
Updated: January 27, 2009 3:45 PM

The Lower Mainland needs new rail transit lines and amenities ranging from better bike routes to theatres and teen centres.

And don’t forget about housing.

Those are among the suggestions Black Press readers have advanced as part of the newspaper group’s The Path Ahead project.

Launched earlier this month, the initiative aimed to bring local citizens together online to suggest ways to improve the economy and local communities – specifically through government-funded infrastructure projects – during the current downturn.

Dozens of responses have been posted on Black Press newspaper websites in advance of this week’s federal budget, which was expected to unleash billions of dollars in deficit spending to stimulate the economy.

The single most popular idea: establishment of a passenger light rail line to the Fraser Valley. Many readers argued it could be done efficiently and inexpensively using existing rail lines.

“A modern passenger rail system will help get people into Vancouver during the Olympics and facilitate sustainable development in the Fraser Valley for decades to come,” urged one Abbotsford reader.

“A passenger rail system would be the most effective project to spend money on as It would bring the entire valley together,” added another reader. “This is not just a must have – it’s a no brainer.”

Others said the Canada Line should be extended south to Delta.

And a Surrey reader argued the old Interurban corridor is the wrong choice for a new rapid transit route towards the valley.

“Extend SkyTrain, elevated or on the ground, to Langley Centre along Fraser Highway and provide regular service.”

The federal and provincial governments should also improve existing rail lines to make Vancouver-Seattle Amtrak service faster and more frequent, a North Shore reader said.

Some suggestions were even more ambitious.

Richmond’s Amy Chiu urged construction of a bridge to Vancouver Island.

Another idea that got plenty of traction sprang from Langley readers, who urged the revival of the historic Langley Speedway.

“In its day, the track was a NASCAR-sanctioned facility,” said Ewald Penner. “In today’s economy that would be a big win for Langley.”

While other proposals included Fraser River flood control and more trails or parks, a recurring theme was housing.

“The creation of low-cost rental and social housing would be a very effective way to stimulate the economy,” said Bowen Island reader Richard Best.

“The forestry sector would receive stimulus through the demand for building materials. Jobs would be created for the trades.”

Burnaby Coun. Colleen Jordan said housing would provide both jobs and lasting social benefit.

“Housing for homeless, housing for immigrants and refugees, housing for low-income folks, housing co-ops funding, tax breaks for builders to build needed new rental housing, and last but certainly not least, housing for seniors,” she wrote.

Affordable housing construction now can take advantage of sagging land prices, added a Richmond reader.

Some readers argued social infrastructure may be a better bet than huge construction works in terms of economic stimulus.

“Big infrastructure projects do not create the number of jobs that they used to because of the introduction of modern efficient machinery,” Lynda Fletcher-Gordon wrote on the New Westminster News Leader site.

“Neither can you take people off the street and have them build roads and overpasses.”

Instead, she said, investment in social service agencies, daycares, nursing homes and recreational programs would create jobs and improve the quality of lives.

“Families will function better, children will be healthier,” she said.

Bowen Island residents debated the future of their island and its growing pains as development pressures build.

Many readers proposed green projects. Bike routes and curbside compost pickup were among the suggestions.

“What if Bowen didn’t use power from the grid 10 years from now?” suggested Joyce Ganong, who laid out a poetic vision of what could be if wind turbines, tidal motion harnesses, geothermal generators and solar panels were used to make Bowen Island a green energy hot spot.

A Mission reader backed spending on park, city and waterfront improvements there, adding large specialized construction projects won’t benefit the unemployed who most need help – youth and the unskilled.

Some also took direct aim at what they considered misplaced government priorities – such as the twinning of the Port Mann Bridge and construction of the South Fraser Perimeter Road.

In Richmond, the defence of farmland was a key issue, with respondents pushing for community gardens and the preservation of the Garden City Lands for agricultural use.

Others had ideas for things government could stop doing – like eliminating hotel room taxes to boost tourism and dropping plans to toll new bridges.

The debate on each local newspaper’s website continues online.

jnagel@surreyleader.com

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:01 AM
Registered Loser

bridge to van isle is completely impractical

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:10 AM

- $1.5-billion to extend the West Coast Express, to double-track it for all-day bi-directional service, to improve and expand park and ride facilities, for new routes into Surrey and Abby, for more trains and cars or the switching to O-Train Bombardier Talent II vehicles.

- $200-million for more Mark II SkyTrain cars, approximately 65-cars and mainly C-cars

- $500-million for 500-600 additional (not replacement) buses for the south of Fraser

- $20-million for improved bus stops and new shelters throughout the region

- $300-million for Waterfront Station

- $500-million commuter rail/LRT down Hwy99 from Bridgeport Station to Delta/White Rock/Ladner/Tsswa./South Surrey using Bombardier Talent II vehicles

- $60-million for four aerial trams from Production Station to SFU

- $200-million for downtown streetcar network

So many more....the list is endless.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:14 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Great list Mr X2...those are my priorities too!!

Add one to yours:

- $50million (don't know if it's enough) for the extension of Sky Train to UBC

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:25 AM

^ "$50-million". i hope that's a typo.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:54 AM

Haha! Someone is a bargain hunter!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:58 AM

^^ Yeah maybe a "Brio" train. haha

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Haha! Someone is a bargain hunter!
$50-million might just be enough to build a subway for mice. And it would be quite adorable, with those mice in their little suits and everything.

Note: mice not included.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Discussion moved to Transit Fantasies

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:39 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Discussion moved to Transit Fantasies
Thanks for merging it deasine I didn't relize that this was an overlapping thread.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:40 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
$50-million might just be enough to build a subway for mice. And it would be quite adorable, with those mice in their little suits and everything.

Note: mice not included.

Hahaha very funny....OK then I'll call it a typo.
How about adding another "0" to make it $500 million, my dear Mr X2 ??

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:44 AM

double.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Hahaha very funny....OK then I'll call it a typo.
How about adding another "0" to make it $500 million, my dear Mr X2 ??
LOL, that might be enough to get you to Cambie.

And if you add one more zero, you would have enough to have it all the way to UBC with 200-metre long station platforms with stations designed by Calatrava.

The correct number is $2.8-billion.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:51 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
LOL, that might be enough to get you to Cambie.

And if you add one more zero, you would have enough to have it all the way to UBC with 200-metre long station platforms with stations designed by Calatrava.

The correct number is $2.8-billion.
Thanks, I didn't relize that it would cost that much to build an extension.
I wished that all the stations for Canada Line were designed to have 200-metre platforms so they can have longer trains

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Thanks, I didn't relize that it would cost that much to build an extension.
I wished that all the stations for Canada Line were designed to have 200-metre platforms so they can have longer trains
Well, 200-metres would be overkill. For SkyTrain, I would be happy for 120-metres and the Canada Line 80-metres (or 100-metres max.).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:13 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Well, yeah, I shouldn't expect so much for every station.
But I bet there will be a lot of people using this Canada Line.

Do you think that this line should be built in 2000 instead of the Millenium Line? I know that there were demands in that area also, but connect the airport to Vancouver Downtown via SkyTrain is also very important for a city.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:19 AM

I'd say the Millennium Line was the better choice. Note that both the UBC extension and the Evergreen Line were meant to be Phase II of the Millennium Line project, to be completed in 2005.

Adjusted for 2014, assuming both extension lines are built, the Millennium Line would probably have more than 200,000 riders per day and there would be a much greater proportion of new riders than the Canada Line.

Contrast that with the Canada Line's 100,000 for 2009/2010, of which 30,000 will be new ridership. There's no doubt that the Canada Line will be a busy success, especially with its miniscule 40-metre platforms.....it may theoretically work on paper and with calculations, but what about on a passenger comfort perspective? I have no doubt that future generations will look back at us and think "what the hell were they thinking Vancouver was? some coastal village????"

Hmmm...i sound like a broken record.

While I am quite dissapointed with how the Canada Line was designed, built, and the whole P3 scheme, I'm still quite excited about riding the train when it opens.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:29 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^^^ Thanks for the analaysis...I can always trust on your informative updates and opinons. I am excited to ride when it is opened too...I believe that it will be opened early this fall around October according to the Richmond Community I read the other day.

I didn't like the station design at Richmond too! They said that they are a FAMILY of station and they are suppose to share the same look. I perfer the ones built for the Millennium Line better....way more creative.

Also, for the Rotem Cars...well they do have more space but they don't look as nice as the Mrak II ones, esp. the colour scheme. I hope the ads they are going to put on will be interesting. Will they put on the Olympic banner and logo?

Take care Mr X2

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
- $500-million commuter rail/LRT down Hwy99 from Bridgeport Station to Delta/White Rock/Ladner/Tsswa./South Surrey using Bombardier Talent II vehicles
Ah those Talent II's are gorgeous. They look even better in person though! I really wish they'd get those for vancouver.

haha i was actually on that exact train pictured there

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 4:38 AM

^ i actually like all of the Richmond/YVR station designs, except for Bridgeport. The No.3 Road station designs' simplicity and the jewel glass facades gives them a real feminine sexiness...haha. Bridgeport was a major dissapointment, especially when you consider the importance of that station as a major interchange. As for YVR, all three station designs exceed my expectations and I can't wait to see them.

My main beef with the Canada Line is the length of the station platforms; most of the other members are probably tired of me saying this.

My second beef is the trains themselves: a) the interior seating/pole arrangement and b) the exterior paint job (or lack thereof). One only needs to compare between the new SkyTrain Mark II cars and the shameful InTransitBC Rotem ones.

The exterior will have ads, there's nothing exciting about them. Some SkyTrain cars have ads right stuck to their sides - it's nothing new and it's no different than those ads on the sides of the buses,

And no, there will likely not be any permanent Olympic banner and logo on them. There might be something during Games time - who knows?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure