HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 12:16 AM
Closed account

CHCH Wants Your Ideas

Chch wants your ideas for the bay area to try and keep your eyes away from the steel industries. Example: a huge fountain.

Post your ideas on here too and we can see them all and discuss them.

http://www.chtv.com/ch/chchnews/tipsnpics/index.html

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 3:59 AM
Closed account

I have an idea.
Flatten the station and build a big condo tower in it's place.
Let's call it Soble Tower in honour of the man who started Canada's first TV station.
It would also honour him to demo this place and put it out of it's misery. He must be rolling in his grave seeing this shite excuse for a station today.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 4:28 AM

One idea after another to try and divert your attention from Stelco and Dofasco.

Pay no attention to those huge fire-breathing smokestacks and smog over there!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 4:35 AM

What could possibly distract somebody from a giant flame shooting into the sky?

You can't really hide such a massive concentration of industry, and everyone already knows it's there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 4:35 AM

I read the title of this post and laughed - 'how about a new TV station'

But yeah, it's about what to do with the bayfront. It's sadly underutilized now. Let's get a bar down there, one with a deck right on the waterfront. I've always liked the idea of a new neighbourhood down there. It could be a huge new urbanist / infill project which is usually so hard to pull off anywhere, but this is the waterfront, it should sell itself.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 6:21 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Chch wants your ideas for the bay area to try and keep your eyes away from the steel industries. Example: a huge fountain.

Post your ideas on here too and we can see them all and discuss them.

http://www.chtv.com/ch/chchnews/tipsnpics/index.html
I think CHCH should focus more on trying to find ways to get more eyes to start watching their TV station again like years gone by.

The steel industries are a part of Hamilton. Personally I love that sight especially when you see the flames shoot upwards into the night sky. I just embrace that image. That's Hamilton and that's who we are....on the other hand the local TV station doesn't cover as much of the local Hamilton news and events like in years gone by and to me I don't really consider them to be a Hamilton TV station any longer. As far as I'm concerned we don't have a TV station here in Hamilton.

Niagara Falls doesn't have any, St.Catharines, Brantford, Burlington, Cambridge doesn't have a TV station. This part of the province is really lacking in this department. We need both a CBC and a CTV station in Hamilton and another independent one to cover the Golden Horseshoe better.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 12:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post

But yeah, it's about what to do with the bayfront. It's sadly underutilized now. Let's get a bar down there, one with a deck right on the waterfront. I've always liked the idea of a new neighbourhood down there. It could be a huge new urbanist / infill project which is usually so hard to pull off anywhere, but this is the waterfront, it should sell itself.
I agree completely. There is a huge untapped potential down there....a common theme throughout this city.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post

a bar down there would be excellent.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 3:01 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
One idea after another to try and divert your attention from Stelco and Dofasco.

too funny I thought of the Wizard of Oz. "Pay no attention to man behind the curtain." Only in this case he was using firing smokestacks to draw attention away.

I'm proud of the view from the Skyway. It even looks better over the elevated part of Burlington St. It's like nothing else in Canada. I find it interesting, at night the way the fires glow, or on a super cold day and it's shrouded in heavy fog. Afterall steel has to come from somewhere. Just like the meat we eat in the supermarket... there's not much point in hiding the cattle either.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 3:04 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

It's CHCH trying to be relevant again to Hamilton. Forget about it, a new station is needed like someone said here. E-channel should be on specialty cable and get rid of Dan McLean.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 3:17 PM
Closed account

Now this bar would look great with a huge fountain beside it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...o/0824TBH3.jpg

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 3:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
It's CHCH trying to be relevant again to Hamilton. Forget about it, a new station is needed like someone said here. E-channel should be on specialty cable and get rid of Dan McLean.
it'll never be relevant again.
I haven't tuned in for many months, and don't intend to.
it's a joke.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post

We may see Hilton Works gone in the near future. I think that if that happens, it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for the city. It would completely transform the waterfront.

Dofasco is smaller and situated further East, a large berm and trees could hide it easily.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:15 PM
Closed account

They could make more small islands like they did near the lift bridge. The birds love those islands too which is why they made those to begin with. To keep the birds out of certain areas.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
it'll never be relevant again.
I haven't tuned in for many months, and don't intend to.
it's a joke.
Agreed. Television's days are coming to an end, just like CD's and the recording industry. Gone are the days where a company decides what people listen and watch. And not a moment too soon. We don't need to be bombarded with fabricated messages coming from a "man behind a curtain". Thank god for the internet and free media.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:21 PM
Wiki Ricki

I don't know if we will ever lose Hilton works but if we ever do then we should just replace it with a dozen film studios and erect a GIANT neon sign that says; "Hollywood North in Hamilton, Ontario!"

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

What seperates the smokestacks and the bridge is the harbour so use the water to your advantage. Have water fountains high enough to block most of the smokestacks. Have 5 water fountains with multi colour display.

Now of course the problem is......MONEY. Real question should be how to get money.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hilton Works is shuting down for a few weeks yet the Lake Erie plant isn't. That's a revealing story to me.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:30 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
What seperates the smokestacks and the bridge is the harbour so use the water to your advantage. Have water fountains high enough to block most of the smokestacks. Have 5 water fountains with multi colour display.

Now of course the problem is......MONEY. Real question should be how to get money.
I don't like that idea to be honest with you because then the out-of-towners, specifically Torontonians would use that as a way to poke fun at Hamilton. It would be like, "Aaaah look at all those poor Hamiltonians down there. They're feeling self-conscious and really bad about how they look they feel they must block the view we get of their steel mills with all of these water fountains."

I don't care how many water fountains you erect you will still be able to see the steel mills and the fire from them lighting up the night sky. Plus some folks like myself actually like the view from the Skyway. I remember last summer one of the performers at the Festival of friends, an acoustic guitar player from the Maritimes, shared with us a song he wrote about the beautiful view he gets of Hamilton at night from the Skyway bridge.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 5:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't care what Torontoians will think, it's not like they have high opinions for us right now anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion