HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 3:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Kenilworth Avenue

Interest high for new BIA in east city

April 11, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/546706

It's time to spiff up Kenilworth Avenue in east Hamilton.

Stefania Barrios, branch manager at the Buduchnist Credit Union, is fast becoming one of the avenue's champions.

She and some business owners will be attending a meeting on Thursday to discuss the process required to establish a Business Improvement Area (BIA) on Kenilworth.

Barrios said she was taken aback by the poor appearance of the street when she started working at the credit union branch four years ago.

"It's a beautiful city actually, (but) you get off the (Burlington Street) bridge and it's kind of a scary place," she said.

However, she said she's encouraged by the warm reception to the idea of a BIA, initially floated at a March 2 meeting.

City officials will also be at the meeting to advise the community about the necessary process.

It begins at 6 p.m. at the Ukrainian Youth Association, 239 Kenilworth Ave. N. at Barton Street East.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 3:58 PM

this would be a really good idea. i'm glad to hear there are people in that community who are trying to make it happen.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 5:36 PM
Needs more coffee...

If they can get the critical mass to start a BIA, that would be great.

I'm just thinking of the meetings about the extension of the King West one more westward, there's just been meeting after meeting about "the possibility of" without it actually getting off the ground.

I hope this has more interest/more momentum, and given that it's a much bigger area I hope more businesses see the benefit of the extra levy/benefits of a BIA.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues