HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Feds approve $895,000 for Southwest Corridor planning

The Federal Transit Administration has awarded Metro an $895,000 grant to help create an equitable economic development and housing strategy for the Southwest Corridor, where the elected regional government is studying building the next MAX light rail to connect Portland and Tualatin through Tigard.

The project, which includes possible residential and commercial redevelopment opportunities, faces a potential do-or-die vote in Tigard at the Nov. 8 general election. A yes vote on Measure 34-255 allows the city to support the line. Its passage is widely consider necessary to secure the 50 percent financing commitment from the FTA to help build the it.

The $895,000 grant was announced Wednesday by FTA Acting Administrator Carolyn Flowers at the Rail~Volution Conference in San Francisco as part of the agency's Transit-Oriented Development Planning Pilot Program. The conference, which many regional leaders are attending, has attracted transit planners and advocates from around the country.
...continues at the Portland Tribune.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:47 AM
A before E

Tigard better not be stupid and block this, having MAX run down the SW Corridor is essential for that part of the metro to properly grow. Besides, they can look at anywhere in the metro light rail goes to to see why it is a good idea. Milwaukie is happy to have light rail running through its downtown, and will more than likely see major growth in the town and especially in its downtown because of the light rail. That is something Tigard really needs to consider.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 6:36 PM

Hmmm...

Quote:
Measure 34-255
City of Tigard, Allow City to Support Extending Light Rail Service to Tigard
Updated: 7:59 am, Nov 9
Yes
11,238 50.3%
No
11,119 49.7%
http://gov.oregonlive.com/election/#incart_breaking

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 12:14 AM

Final tally was even closer, looks like it won by 40 votes.

Scroll way down. You're looking for 34-255.

http://results.oregonvotes.gov/Resul...cty=28&map=CTY

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 12:31 AM

If SW Corridor moves forward will there be any Federal funding for it, given that rxtremists in the Republican Party now control both the executive and legislative branches?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 1:38 AM

I don't know, Trump's from NYC, he (perhaps) understands the utility of transit, and he claims he's going to spend $1T on infrastructure.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 8:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
I don't know, Trump's from NYC, he (perhaps) understands the utility of transit, and he claims he's going to spend $1T on infrastructure.
That's a tough one, he doesn't seem like the person who has ever used the transit in NYC. I can imagine if he says he is gonna spend money on infrastructure, he is talking about highway expansions. We might get money for expanding the 205 or something like that, but I am not sure we will see any money for building a new rail line.

Granted he could prove me wrong and really invest in rail, but I don't have high hopes for it. It is just good to see that we have a chance for expanding light rail to the southwest.

Now I just wish the people in Washington County were open to expanding light rail throughout the western side. There should be 4 or 5 separate lines running through that area by now.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 9:29 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Don't believe one f***ing word that comes out of Tangerine Hitler's mouth.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That's a tough one, he doesn't seem like the person who has ever used the transit in NYC. I can imagine if he says he is gonna spend money on infrastructure, he is talking about highway expansions. We might get money for expanding the 205 or something like that, but I am not sure we will see any money for building a new rail line.

Granted he could prove me wrong and really invest in rail, but I don't have high hopes for it. It is just good to see that we have a chance for expanding light rail to the southwest.

Now I just wish the people in Washington County were open to expanding light rail throughout the western side. There should be 4 or 5 separate lines running through that area by now.
Rich people hate sitting in traffic as much as anyone else. Getting the peons into public transit and road pricing is a good way to do that. This is what we've done in Oslo. Only the upper middle class can afford to drive (we have a $6 road toll per passing) and park in the city center (lowest monthly parking I know if is about $300 per month).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Rich people hate sitting in traffic as much as anyone else. Getting the peons into public transit and road pricing is a good way to do that. This is what we've done in Oslo. Only the upper middle class can afford to drive (we have a $6 road toll per passing) and park in the city center (lowest monthly parking I know if is about $300 per month).
let them eat cake...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Final tally was even closer, looks like it won by 40 votes.

Scroll way down. You're looking for 34-255.

http://results.oregonvotes.gov/Resul...cty=28&map=CTY
I think they are still counting absentee ballots. The lead went to a whopping 75 votes. I heard that it's close enough to trigger an automatic recount. Not sure when that occurs.. Here's the current counts:

Yes 50% 12,328

No 49% 12,253

total votes 24,581

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 9:22 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Looks like Trump won't be sending federal dollars to "sanctuary cities" such as Portland. Doubt this or any infrastructure project will happen over the next 4 years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 9:29 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Looks like Trump won't be sending federal dollars to "sanctuary cities" such as Portland. Doubt this or any infrastructure project will happen over the next 4 years.
On the plus side, it would give them 4 years to fully plan this out and get it to shovel ready status.

It really makes me wish the northwest was its own country so we wouldn't be bothered with stuff like this and we could properly invest in our own infrastructure. On the plus side, it looks like the Tigard measure passed, so it will make it easier to get this built when the time comes.

I personally would love to see this SW line extended all the way to downtown Sherwood. Of course, I also think the westside should have about 5 different light rail lines running through it by now.

Also, for a side note, I am definitely jealous that Seattle is building a light rail subway system....it really makes me wish Portland would have done that instead. It would have really helped if we had that now, blocking trains wouldn't have been an issue (even though I fully support the protesting, having the rail system come to a crippling halt because of it just sucks.)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:25 PM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:32 AM

Marquam Hill connection options posted today. Lots of elevators and tunnels.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Marquam Hill connection options posted today. Lots of elevators and tunnels.
Cost is going to dictate what gets built and there are no costs in the document.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
BRANCHING OUT

Every five years or so, local transit leaders come together and celebrate the opening of a new branch to Portland’s ever-expanding light rail system. This go around, however, will take a few more years than usual to come to fruition. The Southwest Corridor has waited a long time for its turn in the mass transit spotlight, which it is in right now as project is nearing completion of the long and arduous public refinement process. After the locally preferred alternative is chosen, that alignment will then head into the environmental impact phase before it can start applying for local, state, and federal funding grants. Having been on the planning map well before the first Blue Line train arrived at Pioneer Courthouse Square back in 1986, this proposed commuter service will extend the Green Line from Portland State University to Tigard and Tualatin by roughly 2025. The Portland-Milwaukie Orange Line, which opened in 2015, was the latest extension to go into service, and the Columbia River Crossing’s Yellow Line extension was supposed to be the 5-year stop-gap rail project, being proposed to open around 2020 before the entire project was ingloriously dispatched in 2013 (albeit its corpse has recently been resurrected).

The social, political, and economic changes of the last decade have directly effected long-term transportation planning, with Portland proper taking a step back from large capital rail projects and focusing more on pragmatic and cost-effective bicycle and pedestrian improvements coupled with long-neglected street maintenance. While there are some whispers of a new Portland Streetcar line now and again(pdf), nothing much has actually happened since the completion of the loop and the failure of the Portland-Lake Oswego Project to get off the ground, a project that would have brought rail transportation to the south/ southwest of Portland.
...continues at Places over Time.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
TriMet weighing $1.7 billion bond measure for light rail, street projects

TriMet is pitching a $1.7 billion bond measure to help pay for a new light-rail line as well as a slate of other regional transportation projects.

As currently imagined, the measure on the November 2018 ballot would impose a $13 vehicle registration fee and a new property tax assessment within the transit agency's service area. The tax assessment would cost the average homeowner an additional $150 a year.

The biggest single chunk of the money raised -- $740 million -- would provide part of the funding for the Southwest Corridor light-rail project, which would connect downtown Portland with Tigard and Bridgeport Village in Tualatin.

The remaining $950 million would be distributed to Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas counties, as well as the city of Portland, for congestion-relief and safety projects identified by those jurisdictions.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 3:08 PM

Tribune story on Metro accepting public comment on SW corridor route options. In Portland the two main choices are: Barbur v. Naito/ I-5 v. Barbur.

http://portlandtribune.com/ttt/89-ne...t-corridor-map

Link to Metro public comment map
https://www.oregonmetro.gov/sw-corri...017-publ-15092

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:53 PM

Not to be ocd but to make it like the other lines, along the freeway would look better. Most people like faster trains also.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure