HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Times Square EDITION in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 4:13 PM

This is well along. Plans were submitted last July and were disapproved (not surprising for a first submission.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

It's being filed as an A1 alteration to the current office building on the site, not a NB. It's also on for 470 ft (highest occupied floor, spire(s) could be taller). It's pending re-approval now, and will happen fast if it goes through. There is crazy money to be made by a new hotel in TS. Occupancy there is higher than even the rest of the city where it is already very high.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:24 AM
testify

^ i guess that filing explains the decision to keep a portion of the previous building, all about the speed.

i wonder if tad's will reopen...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
i wonder if tad's will reopen...
I believe the one on 34th is still open. Anyway, glad things are moving here, though I do need a clear look at just what this thing looks like.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:48 PM

I find it hard to believe that there will be a cheap-o Tad's Steaks returning to the base of a five-star hotel, but we'll see.

I doubt they would even offer them a lease (assuming their lease is up). Times Square rents are among the highest on the planet, and you have international chains clamoring to get in on the action.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

In the above image, the current building (with the four Broadway show billboards forming a square) is in the center. Next development here: as of today, those and the two tall billboards on either side have been stripped bare. This is the first time I've been in TS (including every time before I started working there last summer) that I have EVER seen these all bare, especially the four in the center. I'm going to assume that's significant. I'll try and snap a picture with my phone tomorrow.

image source: http://blog.startle.com/are-you-one-...-new-york-city

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:58 PM

That picture is on my calender

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 9:15 PM

The great days of the Times Square area are long gone. Once the home of the State, Paramount, Capitol, Rivoli, Strand, Criterion and Rialto theatres, not to mention the wonderful Astor Hotel, all gone - it's now more like a tacky facade with nothing behind just trading on it's former glory. Doesn't really matter what they put up there anymore it's already been trashed.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
The great days of the Times Square area are long gone. Once the home of the State, Paramount, Capitol, Rivoli, Strand, Criterion and Rialto theatres, not to mention the wonderful Astor Hotel, all gone - it's now more like a tacky facade with nothing behind just trading on it's former glory. Doesn't really matter what they put up there anymore it's already been trashed.
I'm not sure what you mean. What former glory? Times Sq used to be a dump until the the 1990's. It was full of sex shops, adult theaters, and strip clubs. Is that what you miss? Disney took over the place and turned it into what it is today, a tourist hub. I'm not particularly fond of Times Sq(then again it's not meant for NYers like me,) but I'll take what's there now over what it used be.

I'll never understand people who constantly complain about missing the old glory days of NYC. I love my hometown, but after 50's NY went down the drain, and it's only in the past two decades that the city has been making a great comeback. I'm excited about all the new development in city, especially the changing skyline, and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for the city.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian View Post
I'll never understand people who constantly complain about missing the old glory days of NYC. I love my hometown, but after 50's NY went down the drain, and it's only in the past two decades that the city has been making a great comeback. I'm excited about all the new development in city, especially the changing skyline, and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for the city.
I agree. I don't understand how anyone could yearn for the old Times Square, which was horrible. There were actually far fewer restored Broadway theaters back then (many were empty, or adult theaters), and that whole area sucked.

And I generally don't understand all the whining and crying about gentrification, growth, lower crime, safer streets, more prosperity, etc. I'm not getting the downside here.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 3:08 AM
Everywhere all at once

What the building looked like this afternoon. The lights in between have been off for the last two days. THINGS ARE HAPPENINGGGGG

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 4:00 PM

Thats a nice building

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Things are certainly happening. I still don't have a clear idea in my head what it will look like from the rendering. I'm hoping the rendering is just a concept, but if not, so be it. The lights are all anyone will care about.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 8:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is that the old Panasonic sign?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:36 AM
BANNED

Do what they did in London and remove signs that cover up historic architecture.

Also no imagination in the new tower. Times Square needs some kind of adventurous building that would blend in and elevate the visual spectacle beyond pure ad boards. A curvey tower would have been obscenely amazing here.

Last edited by aquablue; Mar 7, 2013 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 11:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Just a reminder of what we're looking at. It doesn't excite me, and I don't know what that is on top.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:10 PM
Mr. Technology

That's a very large video display.
Sadly, that's what happened to One Times Square -- gone are the iconic cup of noodles with the steam rising from the cup and the rotating beer bottle.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:21 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Do what they did in London and remove signs that cover up historic architecture.

Also no imagination in the new tower. Times Square needs some kind of adventurous building that would blend in and elevate the visual spectacle beyond pure ad boards. A curvey tower would have been obscenely amazing here.
Don't see the signs and video displays being removed since TS is zoned specifically for the signage, but that corner does deserve something more ground breaking and different

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:13 PM

The problems in this city are the land prices, labour, the regulations that have to be made and the street grid itself. A curvy and adventorous design is financially unfeasable. The costs to build a complex geometry are too high. Material prices are higher then in other regions of the world too. And the usable space can´t be maximized to the boundaries the FAR allows. I assume the only place for avantgarde designs will be the Hudson Yards, and propably 225W57th. The rest, will have pretty conservative designs, with more or less avantgardistic features.

And the last thing the TS area needs is an attention seeking tower. Cause the TS is already too crowded and would get more pedetrian frequency then. This rather boring design will even cause a surge in the frequency of aprox 1-2k people a day.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

As usual, it doesn't take a lot to get the topic of discussion here thrown off. Let's just focus on this building, and not what's being built, here, there, and everywhere else.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:34 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post

What the building looked like this afternoon. The lights in between have been off for the last two days. THINGS ARE HAPPENINGGGGG
Looks like the outline of the old Panasonic sign from the 80's and early 90's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive