HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 3:17 AM
I am a typical

All the photos are hosted on Flickr. I'm required by the site's TOS to tell you this.

So this set is the second half of my second day in Vancouver. (Second full day; I spent the first day getting settled in and by the time I was done it was 7pm (but felt to me like it was 10pm) and I was tired.

After leaving English Bay I walked up... *looks at map* Denman, then when I got to Robson I decided "I am going to walk the entire length of Robson" so I did that, then I backtracked to Grenville and took the Canada Line to City Hall (because I had to get photos of City Hall) then go back on the Canada Line and went to New Westminster to at least be able to say I'd been there. (I went to New West a few times but only

took photos the one time. I even went grocery shopping at their Safeway at 11pm! I actually went to two different Safeways while in Vancouver, and two while in Winnipeg, so aside from going to various Chapters locations while travelling I also go to various Safeways.)

The process of making this photothread is the following:

1. Take the photo
2. Upload the photo
3. Wait 8 months
4. Edit the photo because I suck at using a camera to take them the way I want to the first time
5. Wait 2 months
6. Upload them to Flickr
7. Title, describe, tag, map, and add them to albums on Flickr
8. Open each photo in a tab
9. Go to the "all sizes" page
10. Select the "original" size
11. Copy and paste the URL for each photo into a long list of image tags
12. Add commentary wherever possible
13. Make sure commentary is asinine so the reader walks away from it thinking "why the fuck did I just read that?"
14. If you're still reading this, here is a present.

Until I saw this I thought Fatburger was something from a cartoon I only vaguely remember now.

It wasn't until I got back and uploaded the photos I had taken that I realized, BFI's re-branding as Progressive Waste Solutions hadn't reached Vancouver yet.

This is something you see in Vancouver quite a bit—a clock on top of a building.

My home town is very poor, we only have Partial Foods.

A delicatessen.

The random Spanish street names are charming.

Here is something interesting for you: maple leaves.

I was able to practice reading Kana in Vancouver. That sign says "intaanetto"!

For whatever reason, this was the first photo that I opened up and edited out of all of my Vancouver photos.

Grenville Street. I'm randomly adding this comment into a text post so hopefully this is actually the correct photo!

I would honestly never have considered naming my building after the city I had built it in because that's unoriginal, but whoever built this one did it, and it was probably original at the time.

God, look at them...

Vancouver City Hall in its natural habitat

The reason Vancouver can't have tall buildings.

There was a strange lack of trees along this stretch of Cambie.

Now we're in New Westminster because *~magic~*! It felt, to me, like Winnipeg on a hill.

This is the Westminster Building. No one has ever named a building after the city it's located in.

In the tradition of John M. Lyle. A handsome building indeed. The lower part of it is even nicer but I didn't take a photo of that because that's too logical.

New Westminster's impressive skyline. It's the Kingston of British Columbia!

Now we're going home.

One more set to go. It's going to be fun!

Part four should be posted Monday. If things go as planned. It will conclude the feature with some views from atop the Shaw and Woodward Buildings, a walk through Chinatown, and a little bit of English Bay and Stanley Park before a conclusion of more airplane shots.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 5:21 AM
be nice to the crackheads

It's Granville not Grenville.

Nice set so far. New West never gets much photo love - even from people who live in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 1:44 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay has a Grenville. I explained in part one that I would inevitably mix them up.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

The reason Vancouver can't have tall buildings.
Good pic, illustrates the benefits of the view cones quite nicely.

Quote:

There was a strange lack of trees along this stretch of Cambie.
I would presume that the lack of trees is due to the relatively shallow city hall station being right under here, so trees would probably be too invasive to the structure of the station.

Quote:
One more set to go. It's going to be fun!
Looking forward to it!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 3:43 PM
I am a typical

All the photos are hosted on Flickr. I'm required by the site's TOS to tell you this.

The last part! It took over 7 months to edit all of the photos, and then another 3 to actually upload and share them! It was fun but I am glad it's finally over because I am working on a new project.

JLousa gave me an opportunity to take photos from the top of the Shaw Tower. Literally the top—We climbed to the roof of the elevator shaft.

Almost immediately after posting this photo to Facebook, I sold a print of it. It turned out pretty good considering how grainy it is.

These photos brought my back to my early-middle days of photography, where I relied heavily on image processors to "salvage" bad shots by making them into some kind of art. It's kind of like I was instagram before instagram

was cool.

Funny story (since I don't have much of a narrative for these photos) — the ladder to climb up the elevator shaft was one of those totally vertical, metal ladders bolted to the side of the building. It was probably about 20

feet high. We have one at work that goes up maybe 9 feet, to access a storage loft. The first time I climbed up that ladder at work, I was too scared of falling to go back down the ladder, and asked my boss if I could jump

down onto his desk about 5 feet below. He eventually helped me get back down. the normal way.

I was only about half as nervous as that when I was on top of the Shaw building.

After climbing down from the top of the elevator shaft we went to a service floor to take more photos.

It was a pretty cool experience.

Here are a few photos of Gastown at night. My tripod was broken (I didn't find out until just before I took the first photos here) so I wasn't able to get too many good shots.

JLousa also showed me the view from the top of W Building, where he lives. A lot of the photos didn't turn out too good but the view was really cool.

I don't have photographic proof of it but I covered a lot of ground in Vancouver. It takes just as long to get from Surrey to Vancouver (33kms) via Skytrain as it does to get from one downtown to another (7kms) in Thunder

Bay. The 15km bus ride from Surrey Central to Langley takes the same amount of time. How Vancouver does it, I just don't know. The only part of the metro I didn't really get to see was the north shore.

These photos were taken with the Samsung ES80 point and shoot. There isn't too much of a difference between them and what was taken with the D70 aside from the fact that Samsung's cameras all have a slight blur to them.

Is this still around?

Entering Chinatown

Recessed balconies seem to be a big thing here.

The Sam Kee Building is one of the main reasons I went to Chinatown. You can't be an architecture enthusiast and visit Vancouver without stopping by to check it out.

That guy looks almost exactly like my brother.

This one looks like it was supposed to be taller, but was never finished...

I spent an hour or so in the library. It has history books about Thunder Bay that even Thunder Bay's library doesn't have! I was impressed.

Burnaby's skyline in the distance. The Skytrain goes through the building in the centre, it's pretty cool.

After seeing Chinatown and the Library, I spent the evening wandering around town with Touraccuracy, we went through Stanley Park, English Bay, and a few other areas.

The sun came out for the first time in a few days, it was nice.

This scene reminded me of Lake Superior. This is pretty much what it looks like in fall, except the mountains are half the size.

Or forget where or what this was. But it was the last photo I took in Vancouver.

So that's it... all we have to do now is go home.

This is an Enbridge facility north of Cormer, Manitoba. It was about this point that the Chinese couple beside me on the plane opened up a shopping bag to reveal no less than a dozen hard boiled eggs, which they ate beside

me.

I absolutely detest eggs.

This is Souris, Manitoba.

Wawanesa, Manitoba

The Pembina Highway, between Morris (bottom left) and Winnipeg (top centre, but hard to see)

Passing over Lake of the Woods

Home. But we had to go to Toronto first, because that's logical. I left Vancouver at 4pm and didn't get back until almost midnight.

The tallest cliff in Ontario is shorter than its tallest buildings.

I'll continue sporadically posting Vancouver photos either in this thread or in another, as I get to them. But in the meantime, I am working on the most epic Thunder Bay photo tour ever.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 4:00 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

The difficulties of flying west are so annoying.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 7:30 PM
I am a typical

I don't understand why the flight doesn't stop over in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 3:14 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Good pictures videoman.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:09 PM
Registirred User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Aye, 'tis a gem my friend. Dandy photos.

But i was left wondering...........they actually let you out of Thunder Bay?

And I thought the RCPM had some restrictions.

yea I know! what happened??

bueno fotos!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 2:16 AM

I just noticed that thread ! Awesome pictures, looks like of an awesome trip !

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:07 AM

I like what I'm seeing!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:29 PM

that london place building in the first set was not built in the 90's it was converted into condos in the 90's, it was an office building in the 80's

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:16 AM
I am a typical

Well it is slightly redeemed, I suppose.

It still looks like something that Winnipeg misplaced.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:03 PM

More greater than.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 12:32 AM
Dérive-r

Great photos and commentary, Vid! Hope you enjoyed the trip. Made me homesick.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 4:32 AM

Great thread.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 1:15 AM

Hello!! Originally from down the road from Thunder Bay in Duluth & now in DT Toronto...love the photos of Vancouver...can't wait to come back there in May for the marathon! Definitely agree with the buildings that look like the ones in the Exchange District in Winnipeg...and I was warned about East Hastings as well, that's why I'm going there first to take photos next spring! Happy travelling...JL

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 3:12 AM
I am a typical

I'd like to go back too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos