HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 12:54 AM

2010 mode

I was wondering whether we could have a special banner in the Vancouver forum commemorating the 2010 Games from now till the end of the Paralympics. Couldn't be too hard, right? Afterall, British Columbian's own Skyscraperpage.

And perhaps we could have a special link somewhere on the forum homepage that links to the 2010 forum? (not just for the locals) Perhaps under Skybar, right next to "Current Events" will be the "Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games" link. We had something like this way back for Athens at Skyscrapercity and it was really successful, but i don't think it was done for Torino and Beijing.

2 cents.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 3:21 AM

bump...mods?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 3:21 AM

bump....mods?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 3:25 AM

I'd really like to see it happen.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I'd really like to see it happen.
I wouldn't. Why support greed and corruption?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
I wouldn't. Why support greed and corruption?

That's a nice line that you've picked up there, however, it really doesn't carry any real meaning.

We've been given an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity to show the world what our city has to offer by hosting the games. Certainly a large part of the games is profit-driven in nature, in selling the rights to broadcast the games, apparel, tickets to attend events (quite a few tickets are affordable, so this isn't just a 'party for the rich' - half of all tickets are $100 or less, more than 100k tickets are priced at $25, free events all over the region), etc.. this is not 'greed' just because people are trying to make some money off it. And I have no idea what you are referring to by corruption.

The world's attention will be on Vancouver. This city is very important to me, and so are the games. The world's best athletes will be coming HERE to show what they can do. The games will help to propel Vancouver into the next caliber of cities - I want to celebrate the event, not shun it and force Vancouver to remain a second tier city.

Last edited by GeeCee; Oct 18, 2009 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:12 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I'm working on it... trying to ensure SSC's first.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post

That's a nice line that you've picked up there, however, it really doesn't carry any real meaning.

We've been given an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity to show the world what our city has to offer by hosting the games. Certainly a large part of the games is profit-driven in nature, in selling the rights to broadcast the games, apparel, tickets to attend events (quite a few tickets are affordable, so this isn't just a 'party for the rich' - half of all tickets are $100 or less, more than 100k tickets are priced at $25, free events all over the region), etc.. this is not 'greed' just because people are trying to make some money off it. And I have no idea what you are referring to by corruption.
BTW...$1.2-billion is coming from domestic and international sponsorships as well as tv rights. Another $500-million is coming from things including ticketing, merchandising, and royalties. Add all of that up: private revenues are paying for nearly all of VANOC's $1.7-billion operational costs.

There's a reason why these Games are profit driven: so that taxpayers aren't on the hook for a VANOC deficit: VANOC tries to reduce the deficit risk, people complain; VANOC is profit driven, people complain; VANOC goes into deficit, people complain. Also in the list: VANOC builds crappy programming and venues, people complain; VANOC spends more for higher quality programming and venues, people complain.

Much of VANOC's [successful] methods comes from learning the failures of Torino, Athens, and Sydney. We gained record sponsorships (lesson learned from Torino), we built our venues way ahead of schedule to the point they were a Olympic record (lesson learned from Athens) which also meant construction prices were controlled, and the organizing committee has been very stable (unlike previous OCOG's) and has substantially retained its workforce (a lesson learned from Sydney).

If it weren't for the recession, this would no doubt be the most successful Olympics ever...and even with the recession, we're still doing pretty good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]