HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 1:55 AM

"Randy's Grass-Fed Hamburgers"

New restaurant at 1000 King E (corner of Spadina, formerly St. Bess Jerkspot)

Homemade grass fed beef hamburgers, fries, onion rings. Homemade condiments and homemade soft serve ice cream.

I haven't gone in yet but sounds interesting...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:45 PM

La Dolce Vita

http://www.wagjag.com/index.php?_page=home&wagjag=14162

Uggg, the buffet looked nothing like the pictures. Very disappointing, no flavor and no selection. My girlfiend was scared to touch the food. **Note to self: do some research before buying stuff off Wagjag.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerton View Post
http://www.wagjag.com/index.php?_page=home&wagjag=14162

Uggg, the buffet looked nothing like the pictures. Very disappointing, no flavor and no selection. My girlfiend was scared to touch the food. **Note to self: do some research before buying stuff off Wagjag.
Is that the old Modern India Buffet?
Whatever happened to the planned hotel? Oh Ya, the City nixed a Downtown Stadium

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 5:44 PM

Gorilla Cheese + Cake & Loaf

Gorilla Cheese Sets Grand Opening at City Hall

Hamilton, Ontario, July 25, 2011 – Gorilla Cheese, Canada's first Grilled Cheese Food Truck, has announced it's eagerly-anticipated debut with a Grand Opening at City Hall on Thursday, July 28. The unique food truck will make it's debut with a bang, offering the public premium grilled-cheese sandwiches, merchandise and free cake, made specially for the event by local bakery Cake & Loaf.

Gorilla Cheese has amassed a fervent following through Facebook, Twitter and word-of-mouth. After months of eager anticipation, Gorilla Cheese is excited to finally give their fans what they've been drooling for. Gorilla Cheese puts a twist on the traditional grilled cheese sandwiches by making them with high-quality ingredients and unique flavour combinations, all served out of a big, black truck emblazoned with their eye-catching logo.

Gorilla Cheese is owned and operated by native Hamiltonians Graeme Smith and Scott Austin, two friends who decided to chase their dreams of entrepreneurship after Graeme was locked out of his position at US Steel and Scott's previous job was outsourced to India.

In addition to their Grand Opening, Gorilla Cheese has been chosen as top-ten finalists in the Innovation Factory's LiON'S LAIR event, an entrepreneurial competition with a grand prize of $100,000.

The Gorilla Cheese Grand Opening will run from 11am-2pm out front of City Hall on Thursday, and is open to the public.

Email: info@gorillacheese.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/gorillacheeseonfb
Twitter: www.twitter.com/gorilla_cheese

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Whatever happened to the planned hotel? Oh Ya, the City nixed a Downtown Stadium
La Dolce Vita was in well before the stadium debate (if memory serves). Certainly before it was over.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
La Dolce Vita was in well before the stadium debate (if memory serves). Certainly before it was over.
I know, I know! I was just being cheeky.

Projects have been announced w/ no actual plan of fruition so many times in Hamilton, esp over the last decade (which, btw, was supposed to be 'Hamilton's Decade') that I hardly pay attention anymore.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Yes, this is the old Modern India Buffet, I frequented in 2007.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerton View Post
Yes, this is the old Modern India Buffet, I frequented in 2007.
I have only been once since it moved (still great), but ya, I used to frequent it often at the Main/Walnut location.

Wonder if their business has increased/decreased since the move?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 AM

La Dolce Vita/Modern India Buffet/LA Bats used to be a Don Cherry's...those were the friggin' days. His first, I believe, and the TV show was filmed at that location, too. Oh and before that it was a seafood restaurant...totally dating myself now Anyway, try the veal, I hear it's killer.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:47 PM

Jim Poling tweets:

Iconic downtown King Street W. burger joint Harvest Burger downtown Hamilton sells to A&W. Family says patti palace closes in Sept. #Hamont

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 3:33 PM

That's too bad. I love that place.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:19 PM

Damn, no more pitchers of Cool with your burger and fries.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 12:21 AM

It would be really sweet if they brought back waitresses on roller skates or something retro like that.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
"Randy's Grass-Fed Hamburgers"

New restaurant at 1000 King E (corner of Spadina, formerly St. Bess Jerkspot)

Homemade grass fed beef hamburgers, fries, onion rings. Homemade condiments and homemade soft serve ice cream.

I haven't gone in yet but sounds interesting...
can i say this place is AMAZING!
went prior to ticats-argos game.
never tasted catsup like that before (yum), and all home made! Onion rings too...without the awful onion burps. Yhew, Randy is really devoted to quality food!

Nowhere else like this in the city. Definitely check them out.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:16 PM

While waiting for a bus on the weekend I noticed that "Your Place" Restaurant on Main Street West is closed. There are notices on the door and window that the lease was terminated due to non-payment. There is a for lease sign up. They were in arrears by over $7,000 in rent! In my older single days, I used to love coming there for breakfast/brunch on weekends and they were always busy at that time. But it certainly needed updating and I never ate there for other meals. With a lot more competition on Locke Street and even places like Ray's on Dundurn doing weekend breakfasts, there are just way nicer places in west hamilton to eat. All the old furntiture is still there though, so we'll see what goes in there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 2:47 PM

Construction Puts King William Businesses In Jeopardy [John Kernaghan, OpenFile Hamilton, Aug 22, 2011]

They’re not getting the royal treatment on King William Street, some street merchants are saying. They claim construction there has put their businesses in peril.

“I couldn’t even pay my rent last month,” says Pat Satasuk, owner of Thai Memory. “Business is half what it was this time last year. I’m ready to quit.”

Moreover, King William is buzzing with talk that tearing up the west stretch of the street has put one of the city’s oldest businesses on the ropes.

Reardon’s meat market could close at the location by the end of the year, possibly meaning the three-generation family business will not make it to 100 years of operation next year. Owner Paul Reardon declined comment on his situation, but he has been working the counter at Denninger’s on King Street East as business declined in the King William construction zone.An individual working in Reardon’s says the business is looking for a new location in the core to move to when the lease ends at the end of this year.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 4:00 PM

The Downtown Hamilton BIA’s Localicious 2011 (Sept 23-Oct 16) will run parallel to the AGH’s CIBC Wood Gundy World Film Festival (Sept 23-Oct 2). Participants in this year’s program include Acclamation, Bistro Parisien, Boo’s Bistro, Capri Ristorante, Dalina’s, The Flavour of Himalaya, Incognito, La Cantina Ristorante, La Piazza Allegra, Nino’s Ristorante, One Duke and Tailgate Charlies. Localicious 2011 launches at the AGH on Sept 20 from 6-10pm, with samples from participating eateries (as well as area wineries and breweries) and a star cameo from celebrity chef David Adjey, who'll do a cooking demo of his fave dishes from his shows Restaurant Makeover and The Opener. Tickets are $15/person, available at participating restaurants and the BIA office. For more on this year’s program go to www.localicious.info or call 905-523-1646.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:02 PM

Matsu Sushi has pulled up stakes in Dundas. There's a rumour that it might be Hamilton-bound, so keep your eyes peeled.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 11:03 PM

Don't know if this has been posted in another thread, but there's a building permit up in the old Liaison College space beside the Tap House for an 85 seat restaurant called U Shao.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 11:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Notice the sign.....

Wimpy's Diner is coming

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation