HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:37 PM

On Monday evening (January 9th, 2012) a joint public hearing between Chebucto and North West Community Councils resulted in the Development Agreement for Sub-Areas 9 and 10 being approved.

The information can be found here; Case 16666 Details

Also in other news the developers behind the West Bedford Business Campus (RIM area) are trying to get some amendments passed to change the allowed uses in the neighbourhood. For most part it is housekeeping but they have also sneaked in a couple that are a bit questionable (IMO at least).

The first is the parking requirements. Right now landscaping would be dominant on the front lawns and most parking would be moved to the side and rear lots. They are trying to reduce the landscaping requirement by ~30% so the parking would be built out front so retailers would be more attracted because of the visible parking. I find this quite annoying because frontside parking lots cut off the buildings from the street and create the infamous "suburban" style of building.

The other worrying amendment is the wetland setback requirement. Current HRM bylaws require a 20 meter setback BUT when the development agreement was passed for this area it required a 30 meter setback. The developer is now trying to get rid of that negotiated point and only have to follow standard HRM rules. This would be fine but the developer agreed to that setback and i find it in bad taste to come back and try to get this changed under the veil of "housekeeping" amendments.

You can read the document here; Case 17424 Details

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 10:03 PM

Photos of the new High School under construction, by me:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:48 AM

Northwood development to offer unique housing option
January 31, 2012 - 8:00pm BY CHRIS LAMBIE BUSINESS EDITOR

Quote:
Northwood is planning a $15-million development in Bedford that hasn’t been tried before in this province, says company spokesman John Verlinden.

“It offers a different kind of choice for seniors, something that offers an alternative to apartment living and condo living,” Verlinden said Tuesday.

The building, dubbed the Meridian, will be built on land off Gary Martin Drive that Northwood owns. It would have one- and two-bedroom units. The land is located behind its care facility called Ivany Place, near the BMO Centre and the municipality’s new four-pad arena complex.

Construction could start within between 18 and 24 months and take about a year to complete, he said.

(clambie@herald.ca)
Read More Here (The Chronicle Herald; January 31st, 2012)

If this is completely accurate this project will take over the land slated for the six-storey multi-unit building on Gary Martin Drive.

Site Plan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
It will be crazy driving along Kearney Lake Road and Hammonds Plains Road when this stuff is complete. I used to live in that area back when there was basically nothing out there.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 8:31 PM

Major Update Time!

I only have one new photo but I am pleased to say the mapping provided by TheParksofWestBedford.ca has been updated.

First is a list of what is now under construction;

- Grade work underway for the second half of Hollyhock Way
- Last few houses being erected on Capstone Drive
- Last row of townhouses finishing on Lasalle Court
- First multi-unit site being prepped on Gary Martin Drive (4 floors)
- Grading work underway for new area off of Gary Martin (Hazleton Hill, Aspen Hill, and Lakeview Terrace)
- Gary Martin Drive extension land being cleared

Second is an aerial photo from Summer 2011;

Credit: www.theparksofwestbedford.ca

Third is the new map of the Bedford West/South area;

Area Map - Jan 2012

Using the map above here is what is currently under construction;

Purple - Open/Inhabited
Green - Under Construction
Yellow - Approved/Proposed

Credit: www.theparksofwestbedford.ca (original); Edited by Dmajackson

And finally this is the photo I took. These townhouses are along Gary Martin Drive. With the driveways and garages in the rear yard these are likely the most-pedestrian looking buildings that will be built in the area;

Credit; Urban_Halifax @ Flickr.com

Last edited by Dmajackson; Feb 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:06 PM

I visited one of the model homes on Royal Fern Way last weekend. DROOL worthy and not too big, either. Almost enough to lure a gal off the peninsula. The builder, Provident, has been dominating the single home construction in PWB so far.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:08 PM
opinionated so and so

I like a lot about that design, I wish the garage was in the back like the townhouses... I hate the modern design aesthetic of the garage being the central feature of the front of the home.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
I visited one of the model homes on Royal Fern Way last weekend. DROOL worthy and not too big, either. Almost enough to lure a gal off the peninsula. The builder, Provident, has been dominating the single home construction in PWB so far.
Their map is seriously screwed up. It puts this place in Ottawa. That is a bit of a commute.

The interior could sure use a bit of color.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
I like this design; I especially like the front veranda with the old-fashioned look. The interior looks great to me.

Are these homes fully serviced lots (or septic tank?)? Would the fire-places/heating be natural gas?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 3:05 PM
Fizzix geek

definitely a great design aesthetic... especially when you compare to so much of the super bland cookie cutter that is usually built.

I really like that they carried some of the elements of a 1920's craftsman into the interior (e.g. all the built-ins) rather than just having a craftsman exterior but no connection to the inside.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 10:43 PM

There is a seniors home going up. Not nursing home but senior apartments

http://bedfordmeridian.ca/

Heard an ad for it on the radio today.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:15 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
There is a seniors home going up. Not nursing home but senior apartments

http://bedfordmeridian.ca/

Heard an ad for it on the radio today.
The rendering in the link looks interesting (in a good way).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I like a lot about that design, I wish the garage was in the back like the townhouses... I hate the modern design aesthetic of the garage being the central feature of the front of the home.
I know what you mean. As a potential homeowner I see it though for a few reasons - 1. A street in front and alley in back REALLY cuts down on back yard space, and the yards are tight enough as is. 2. Who plows the alley. 3. A garage in front means your living space focused to the back, which is more private and lets you monitor kids in the back yard. Most new homes I have seen now have things like offices, powder rooms in the front and a great room in back, all living is done at the back of the house. Not very neighborhood friendly, but I think a lot of home buyers prefer it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I like this design; I especially like the front veranda with the old-fashioned look. The interior looks great to me.

Are these homes fully serviced lots (or septic tank?)? Would the fire-places/heating be natural gas?
Fully serviced and I believe natural gas is an option that adds to the price, if I am not mistaken. As far as I know all of PWB is fully serviced and I believe it will all have access to natural gas.

The design is nice but the exterior colors are very conservative. Clayton set up some pretty strict design guidelines (http://www.theparksofwestbedford.ca/colour-palettes.php) and although they are giving the development a nicer craftsman feel than most they are turning out way too beigey for my liking. The streetscapes are looking quite samey at this point. I'd love to see some west coast style color here. I think it will look better when the front yard trees grow up a bit and a bit more color goes on the front doors.

Then again some of the color combos in Kidston Estates are more adventurous but not to my liking either.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:36 AM

Here are a few photos I snapped today:

New High School:

Site work on the commercial lots on Science Park Drive:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 1:47 PM

From the Herald website:

Six-building development in the works for Bedford West
June 11, 2012 - 7:21pm By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

A new proposal for a multimillion-dollar development would add hundreds of units to Bedford West.

West Bedford Holdings Ltd., a partnership between Clayton Developments Ltd. and Cresco, is seeking a development agreement with the municipality to build six multiple-unit apartment buildings on Innovation Drive.

The 8.3-hectare site, on the Bedford West Business Campus, is located near Hammonds Plains Road and Highway 102 and is bookended by the BMO Centre and the new Bedford high school scheduled to open in September 2013.

“The attraction of the BMO Centre, an employment node in the immediate area, proximity to Halifax, proximity to the airport — those are all factors that are contributing to that becoming a successful location,” said Mike Hanusiak, general manager of Clayton Developments, in a telephone interview Monday.

“We’ve had very good success with Stonington Park, we’ve seen over 200 homes constructed in the last three years, so that (area) is very popular.”

The proposal calls for five five-storey apartment buildings and another five-storey, mixed-use building with 6,500 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor. A total of 368 units, including five in the commercial area, would make up the six buildings.

It was during the planning process to complete the final phase of Innovation Drive, work on which will begin in the near future, that the idea for the development really took hold, Hanusiak said. The completed road will run through the proposed development.

“We looked at that area and felt that it was more appropriately designed for higher-density residential than service commercial or retail,” Hanusiak said, noting that the request will not affect the community retail component along nearby Gary Martin Drive.

Construction could begin as early as next year, once Innovation Drive is completed, with the project being done in phases, he said.

Detailed architectural plans for the buildings have not been drawn up but may include features like lintels, columns, porticos, ornamental lighting and metal or composite balcony rails.

“When we sit down with a builder, then we will work to determine the specific look of the building, but it will have a combination of brick or stone. These are meant to be high-quality designs.”

A development agreement is already in place for a multiple-unit apartment building on an area adjacent to the business campus, but the company is requesting to move that building from its current location on a proposed future road to a nearby community collector road that feeds into Gary Martin Drive.

In the area where the apartment building was originally planned, the company is looking to build 34 single-family dwellings.

“The single-family dwellings on 34-foot-wide lots have done exceptionally well, so that change is driven by market demand,” Hanusiak said.

Work on those homes may begin as early as next year.

A public information meeting on the entire proposal will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. at the BMO Centre multipurpose room, 61 Gary Martin Dr.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 7:31 PM

Took a drive through this weekend - Hollyhock is now paved through, Royal Fern is almost all sold, the yellow street to the right in the map is under construction, most of the townhomes and condo townhomes are built, and the "park" (big grassy area) next to townhouses on Gary Martin is sodded in. Right now it's just a flat field.

They have a sign up and it's starting to look a lot like Ravines in there, with some improvements: the glazing on the garage doors looks nice, the houses are even closer together than Ravines, and it's a tad more colorful. So far it seems very walkable and nice. Lots of cars in the driveways so I think there is quite a bit of occupancy. LOTS of earth movers at...I think...the intersection of Gary Martin and Capstone, if I recall.

Unfortunately they let Provident get away with building a very long line of identical single family homes on Capstone. The covenants forbid neighboring homes to have the same color scheme but the design is identical.

A new color scheme is popping up, sort of cadet blue, which is a welcome change from all the greige.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:42 PM

Two from me from yesterday.

The new building on Science Park had it's panel's tilt up recently:

New Highschool is coming along:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 1:08 AM

Boris Holdings now features the Domvista, which for the suburbs, I think is quite a nice design.

Source

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 8:41 PM

It's not stunning, but design is subjective. At least its not brick and siding. A right step for the suburbs of Halifax

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs