HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
Explain to me - why we should cower in fear? This city has been silent enough about this inept city council.
I can't stand is all the complaining from you guys, it's all you have to contribute.

Activists have turned Lister(which is private poperty) into nothing more than a political hot potato to push their own agenda.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:28 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
I can't stand is all the complaining from you guys, it's all you have to contribute.

Activists have turned Lister(which is private poperty) into nothing more than a political hot potato to push their own agenda.
you've outdone yourself this time. 'own agenda'?? yea, that would be the people trying to make millions off brain-dead taxpayers like you.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:45 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:

ALL PRIVATE PROPERTY MUST CONFORM TO POLICIES SET FORTH BY GOVERNMENT. Federal, Provincial, and Municipal health and safety acts require properties to conform to minimum standards. This ensures structures built on these properties are not prone to catastrophic collapse.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:58 AM

All I'll say on this issue right now is that Hamilton has lost way too much already. It's really sad. In the mid 20th century old buildings were regarded as expendable across North America, but now cities have come to value their heritage, except in Hamilton. I say this as an outsider who is constantly sickened by the attitudes of Hamiltonians toward their own city. I can't understand why so few value Hamilton, it's a city built when real cities were built. I bet a newer city like Calgary would love to have a few blocks of Hamilton's urban fabric.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 11:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
ALL PRIVATE PROPERTY MUST CONFORM TO POLICIES SET FORTH BY GOVERNMENT. Federal, Provincial, and Municipal health and safety acts require properties to conform to minimum standards. This ensures structures built on these properties are not prone to catastrophic collapse.
So what, all buildings are built to code, the city should have issued a demolition order years ago.

Are you an advocate for govenment seizure of property?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
So what, all buildings are built to code, the city should have issued a demolition order years ago.

Yes, they are.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Bravo! Common sense trumps the loud mouth activist.
Not around here.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
If a property owner refuses to prevent a building's deterioration to the point where public safety and security is compromised, then appropriate action must be taken to protect the public, up to and including the seizure of property.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:55 PM

I think Heritage preservation groups just like Environmental Conservation groups play an important role in how a city develops. Most developers see them as red tape, hoops to jump through to accomplish their main goal. While these groups may not be front and centre, they do provide a bit of balance in the planning process that ultimately makes projects better. Most people never notice the effects of these groups, but I find that cities where these groups are silenced are not as desirable places to live.

But these groups also have to be smart about how they go about their jobs, they have to know when a building project is worth fighting for. They have to pick their battles carefully otherwise their message can be ridiculed and they may be seen only as obstructionists.

This building is not worth this righteous over the top grandstanding that some people are displaying. This will only damage your credibility for when the wrecking ball is standing in front of the lister building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:18 PM
reilu meininki

The ignorance of some of you completely bewilders me. Did you ever stop to think that maybe part of the reason Hamilton is in such a rut is that is because you're trying to mirror yourselves after more successful cities, while completely disregarding the past?

Lister Block, whether you like it or not, is an integral part of Hamilton's past. What does tearing it down, and placing some uninspired cookie-cutter glass building say about how we respect what was? LIUNA should have done something nine years ago when they bought it.. as opposed to letting it rot, and then claiming to the public as to how unsafe it is.

Not to mention, you know damn well that if it gets torn down, nothing other than a parking lot will go up, due to it's proximity to Jackson Square.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:23 PM
Closed account

For those who read that release about tonight and are commenting about the fact we need to choose our battles or that we may make our politicians angry enough to let the rest of the core rot - you do realize that this has become about much more than the Lister right? Why has this city become so complacent?

Where is Sam Lawrence when you need him?

Goldfinger - you do some mighty complaining on here. Perhaps this forum just ain't right for you.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:03 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Perhaps he needs to take a reading timeout like BCTed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:14 PM
Closed account

or at least contribute something worthwhile every so often instead of just complaining and wasting all of our time (like BC Ted).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:00 PM
Closed account

certain people on this forum need to be ignored. what interest you could possibly have in this forum is beyond me...except to agitate, of course. actually, it doesn't even bother me anymore. your posts are completely immaterial and should be left unresponed to.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:04 PM
reilu meininki

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
certain people on this forum need to be ignored. what interest you could possibly have in this forum is beyond me...except to agitate, of course. actually, it doesn't even bother me anymore. your posts are completely immaterial and should be left unresponed to.
Well, open debate should always be welcome.. but when you start throwing insults ontop of irrational, unsupported psdeuo-intelluctal arguments, it gets carried away and extends to nothing beyond trolling those who care for the integrity of our downtown's heritage.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:12 PM

There's a Notice to Comply stapled on the front of the Lister dated April 16, dunno if anyone saw that.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:14 PM
Closed account

this has been going on for what seems like an eternity, itsbryan. there's no debate on this issue. it's tiresome. very, very tiresome.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearNerd View Post
The only reason these buildings are owned by cheap "criminals" is that no one else wants them.
I'm glad that isn't true with respect to the buildings housing Thai Memory, Skydragon centre, the framing gallery, Reardon's deli, Room 41, the new Church of Scientology (or whoever), etc.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I'm glad that isn't true with respect to the buildings housing Thai Memory, Skydragon centre, the framing gallery, Reardon's deli, Room 41, the new Church of Scientology (or whoever), etc.
true enough...this isn't 1970's Detroit. Most buildings are occupied downtown.
The ones that aren't have generally been owned by the same speculators for years or decades with absolutely zero intent on doing anything to their property.
Stinson found this out when he moved to town and started looking for places to buy.
Everyone's a bloody speculator - nobody wants to sell, nor do they want to do anything.
Put the Lister on the market at it's proper price and it will get snatched up.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:35 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

My guess is that the same speculators sitting on greenfield farmland on the edge of town are the same as the ones sitting on vacant downtown properties. Hmm...could this be a coincidence?

Killing downtown to sell suburbia to the masses is the way its done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton