HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:41 PM

Looks like there's an Italian and Mediterranean buffet place called La Dolce Vita opening at the old LA Batt's building at Main and Walnut. Not sure how long the opening soon signs have been there though.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 3:59 PM

Harvest Moon James and Wilson

I had to pick up an take-out order there that a friend called in. Supposed to be the best in town. The place was packed but I was at least 45 mins after my order was called in.
I was told a half hour for the pick up. and still waited and stood around for 15 mins. Not really that type of packed.
Staff were rude or just unconcerned. The whole system was disorganized and no real feasible explanation provided. Not even offered a seat a coffee or even a "We're sorry for your troubles" eggroll or soup. The bill was in the $50 range so some form of acknowledgment would have dulled the pain.
So at the end they asked if I wanted a menu, No thanks I can be treated that way for free and obviously No tip.
P.S. the food was mediocre at best and NOT worth the wait.
What is going on in this day and age with restaurants looking to stay profitable year round 7 days a week. If fridays are busy hire more staff but at least get organized.
I always take the time to inform staff when they do a good job and tip accordingly.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 2:58 PM

Chuck's Burger Bar

Saw there is a new burger joint on Locke Street called "Chuck's Burger Bar". I hear it is open but I guess not on Sunday's when I walked by yesterday. The window didn't have hours or a menu on it unfortunately yet. They have a website, but nothing on there yet. I'm excited about it though. I heard it's either owned or operated/run or something by the same people from the Harbour Diner on James North which is about my favorite place in town so my guess is that this will be great. Just wondering if anybody has had the chance to try it yet? Locke Street needs a place like this. Combined with other future restaurant activity on the street I'm hoping it will add more life to the street, particularly after 5pm.

http://www.chucksburgerbar.com/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

I've heard good reviews about the place.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 10:31 PM

Buckeyes Smokehouse

If you like Southern cookin, generous portions, fair prices and good service. I had the pulled pork with bacon. They have great daily specials.
Very clean and open cocept.
So if you are on Ottawa street, pop in. Farmers market is right behind there.
Share the deep fried Oreos, good for two and a pleasant surprise.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:04 AM

Chuck's burger bar

I've been to Chuck's 4 times now and the burgers have been just as good every time! The only complaint I have is that there isn't enough room to seat everyone that wants to come in. Highly recommend the food!

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipzap View Post
I've been to Chuck's 4 times now and the burgers have been just as good every time! The only complaint I have is that there isn't enough room to seat everyone that wants to come in. Highly recommend the food!
Do they have their liquor license yet? I was there after it opened and they didn't have it yet.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 4:01 AM

Good Food

Was at Incognito on John street again...............the food there is consistently great for the prices. They apparently won the tourism award for Restaurant of the year again ( 2 years running)..........Kudos !

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 2:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Has anyone tried the Indian Village or My-Thai Restaurant at Ancaster?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'm at My Thai downtown (John North, bet King & King William) all the time. I believe it's the same owner? If so, it's AWESOME

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 5:06 PM

I've been to My Thai. It's pretty fantastic, but I remember it being really dark. Have the pad thai!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 6:55 PM

Much as I love My Thai on John St., I must say I prefer Thai Memory on King WIlliam right by the Lister Block.

http://www.thaimemory.ca/

And on this past Friday night (art crawl), we had a fantastic dinner at Wild Orchid on James N., just south of Barton.

http://www.wildorchidrestaurant.ca/

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:48 AM

I have had pad thai at the My Thais in Ancaster as well as downtown and both were ketchupy. Maybe it was just crummy luck.

Bar none though the best pad thai in Hamilton is Saigon Asian Restaurant in Westdale

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 4:47 AM

The Chicken Briyani, butter chicken and naan at Indian Village are the best. The last couple of times at my-thai downtown, the pad thai's been good, not ketchupy.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerton View Post
I have had pad thai at the My Thais in Ancaster as well as downtown and both were ketchupy. Maybe it was just crummy luck.

Bar none though the best pad thai in Hamilton is Saigon Asian Restaurant in Westdale
Must been crummy luck :s

I ask for my Pad Thai 'extra spicey' and it certainly is

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:19 AM
Registered Drug User

Safin Grill, near Limeridge Mall

I used to frequent the hole-in-the-wall on King East next to the strip joint, and always loved it. So I made a point of trying the one next to Fortinos off Upper Wentworth today, and it was just as good as I remembered. Bonus nod to our dietarily sensitive times: they've got a chicken and salad plate sans rice, so you can cut down on your white carbs. Though you still get a pita, which I did my best to only eat half of, but I ultimately succumbed and polished the whole thing off.

Even so, better just the pita than the pita and white rice, so full marks to them for adding this option.

The nice hot sauce and proprietary white sauce make Safin Grill stand out in a crowded sea of samey-samey shawerma places. I pleaded with the owner to consider setting up shop in Stratford, where I live now. In the midst of my overture two other customers laughed and said they'd been craving Safin Grill ever since setting off from Kelowna BC (obviously they'd been there before).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I used to frequent the hole-in-the-wall on King East next to the strip joint, and always loved it. So I made a point of trying the one next to Fortinos off Upper Wentworth today, and it was just as good as I remembered.
"Onions hot sauce?"
Safin's my favourite shawarma place in Hamilton. It looks like there were a couple others that opened as Safins, but converted to Sanas. I remember you could still see the outline of the old "F" on them. but Safin >>> Sana.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 1:13 PM

I had a chicken shawarma at Safin one day and spent the rest of the day in the kitchen trying to figure out how to replicate the flavour.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
"Onions hot sauce?"
Safin's my favourite shawarma place in Hamilton. It looks like there were a couple others that opened as Safins, but converted to Sanas. I remember you could still see the outline of the old "F" on them. but Safin >>> Sana.
Def best Shawarma in Hamilton! Makes me sad sometimes I'll see the owner standing outside ~ 2am (once bars close), lights full on.. yet when you go to walk in, "Closed! Closed! Sorry, Closed!"

Well then, a) shut your shop down (incl. lights) and b) don't stand outfront like you're bored/waiting for customers!
It's such a tease as you're the best Shawarma around that time of night!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 1:16 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Indian Village at Ancaster was good by the way. Excellent customer service, good food and big portions (had to take the rest home). The place is tiny though, probably 15 chairs the most.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation