HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That is strange, seeing how on average Chinese have a much higher smoking rate than Canadians, maybe that is the Canadina culture infecting their lives!

Also to vansky, one of the main reasons why the condo area in Richmond is so clean is because the majority of them are new developments, and the condo area in Richmond is no different than the new condo areas in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, etc...

And what about China town or Kings way? Those areas are dominantly Chinese but are considerably more dirty than the average community in Metro-Vancouver?

Maybe age of the community and average income have more to do with it than race? I really think people such as Vansky are putting way to much emphasis on race. Dare i say you have a little xenophobia yourself?

All I know is i have grown up in a house where my mother vacuumed and moped the floor twice a day, washed every dish as soon as it entered the sink, dusted the entire house twice a week, folded every piece of laundry and placed it where it belonged while it was still warm from the drier, etc... and a dad who re-painted the house every year, mowed the lawn every 2 days, gardened for 2 hours every day after work, washed the cars at least once a week, etc... and don't even think about wearing your shoes in the house or eating/drinking in the car! And here is the kicker, we are white! That must blow vansky's mind!

And this is the best part, even my Japanese fiance and her family thinks my family is anal!
chinatown is by losers, it's like china rice world, the design is shit. no, i'm not racist, but i'm very passionate about certain elites and their work, in every culture and race. japanese, chinese, old new, the classic is the classic, garbage is garbage. ppl misunderstood by my critical attitude, i'm very stubborn at judging bad works. can't tolerate visual garbage.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:59 PM

Well we have that in common, I hate seeing garbage on the ground, non approved graffiti, run down houses and lawns, I even hate seeing residential streets with no curbs that just use gravel shoulders in their absence! but then again, I am product of my environment. I am even annoyed by how so many people in metro Vancouver dress like slobs, as if they have no pride anymore. Honestly, it would be nice to see a few more people wearing suites and dresses to work in this city. It has gotten to the point where some businesses have "formal fridays" since everyone dresses like a bum to work the rest of the time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 12:12 AM

Chinatown has gone under in recent years, but during my childhood (when i was 6 years old, 14 years ago) it was really lively and active place. The streets were filled with shoppers everyday, it was almost like Robson.

With Richmond and other Asian-themed businesses across the region, Chinatown can only thrive again by reinventing itself. But it can only do that successfully when the smoking crater next door, a.k.a. the DTES, is cleaned up. With all those undesirables, it's not a very attractive place for both business to set up shop and for shoppers/visitors. I'm really looking forward to those redevelopment plans.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 12:16 AM

But it is also up to the shop owners to keep their stores clean. Far to many stores in China town are really dirty inside and out, with layers of Graffiti sprayed on their doors and walls that never seem to be cleaned (or even attempted to be cleaned, same thing goes for areas of Kingsway and Main). For me, the change needs to come from within the China town community and from outside (the DTES)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 12:21 AM

^ unfortunately, it's cultural. Look no further than Hong Kong...which is quite far away i suppose.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Also white people recieve racism in Vancouver as well, i still laugh every time i remember reading "round eyes go away" on the bathroom door of a Chinese restaurant.
True.
When my father applied for a job at SUCCESS back in ~95 for an accounting position...they flat out told him "Sorry, no Caucasian people" when he came in for an interview (see the irony in this? We immigrated a couple years before). Needless to say, he was pretty shocked...but saw 100% of the people working there were Asian.
Likewise, my mother worked at a company where a new manager came. The manager was Asian, and only hired Asian people since then.
I've seen some extremely biased hiring practices (towards a particular races) when I worked at a goverment institution...which probably goes against all the goverments hiring practice.
Not that only Asian people do this...but is is very common. Likewise, there are some WASP only/no immigrant companies. Obviously not explicitly written, but it is obvious.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 1:39 AM

SUCCESS is an organization that specializes in the Chinese community. They probably ignorantly and prejudicially just assumed that your father could not speak Cantonese or Mandarin or read or write in Chinese.

But yeah, racism in any form against any side is uncalled for.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]