HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:07 AM

Kids get anti-Olympic treat

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...=rssnewscanada

Quote:
VANCOUVER -- Anti-Olympic sentiment invaded the loot bags of young trick-or-treaters this Halloween.

When Vanessa Payne dutifully inspected the chips and chocolate her two daughters Mackenzie, 7, Kennedy, 4, and one-year-old son Lincoln brought home, she was disappointed to find printed notes, that read, "I hate the Olympics, send Car 87 for [Premier] Gordon Campbell."

Payne suspects someone slipped her kids the small sheets of paper in a three-block area near Victoria Drive and William Street.

"Halloween is dress-up fun for kids and having a good time, so leave those political views at home," she said. "Obviously, somebody felt the need to pass them on to little children and their families and I don't really agree with that."

When Payne asked daughter Mackenzie about what she knows about the Olympics she responded, "I know Quatchi, Miga and Sumi."

With furry mascots in mind, the adorable tyke added the Olympics are about "sports."

B.C. Civil Liberties Association executive director David Eby found the incident "totally weird" but entirely "legal."

"It's not a tactic I would use to get the message out about civil liberties infringements around the Olympics, that's for sure," Eby said.

Payne has yet to firm up plans for her family for the 2010 Games but said she thinks the event should be a positive for young families.

"We get facilities because of the Games and hopefully we can create programs for children," she said.
All I can add to this story is WTF?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:19 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I hope these idiots get out of control during the Olympics and have excessive force used against them. Fucking radicals.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:28 AM

At least the hippies only slipped notes and not pot, this year.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:42 AM

Yep, more great actions by these idiots. Disrupt some poor kid's moment in the spotlight, throw marbles at police on horses. It's like these morons are intentionally targeting the most innocent people/animals involved.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/20...975/story.html

I've heard more than a few stories and people calling in to radio talk shows that these idiots are ruining events for families. At this rate it won't take long until some dad out there beats the crap out of one of these useless drains on society. That's something we can all cheer for.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yep, more great actions by these idiots. Disrupt some poor kid's moment in the spotlight, throw marbles at police on horses. It's like these morons are intentionally targeting the most innocent people/animals involved.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/20...975/story.html

I've heard more than a few stories and people calling in to radio talk shows that these idiots are ruining events for families. At this rate it won't take long until some dad out there beats the crap out of one of these useless drains on society. That's something we can all cheer for.
The quotes in that article from the protesters are just ridiculous. Not that I expected anything else.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 7:00 AM
Registered Loser

bcndp encouraged handing out hst-related flyers on halloween:
http://www.bcndp.org/halloweenleaflet.pdf

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 3:58 PM

I honestly do feel like giving up on this city/province...it's becoming more and more apparent to me that we do everything around here backwards, there are far too many "stick-it-to-the-man" types, protest types, whiney types, and those self-righteous/entitled types. And don't get me started on government on both the provincial and local level...

I really am considering moving to Ontario once I'm done school here, and I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Last edited by mr.x; Nov 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:19 PM

Yeah, cause people like that dont exist here...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:35 PM

Haha those people exist everywhere. Google 'Bread not Circuses' which totally sunk Toronto's Olympic bid in '96. Or the Toronto Coalition Against Poverty, which is like their own little APC

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:41 PM
loafing in lotusland

I was just thinking... come next year, due to the HST, kids will be able to buy a little less candy with their $8/hour.

anti-HST seems relevant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]