HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:23 AM

Moving to Calgary - Condo Shopping

So I'm making the move from edmonton sometime in August probably as my job in Calgary begins in September. I've already been out with a realtor looking at places but I figured there may be some useful opinions on here as to nice buildings, areas (yes I know...avoid northeast), etc...

I'm looking for a two bedroom condo in the $300,000-340,000 range. I work downtown but don't necessarily need to live close to work as long as there's easy c-train access or a direct bus route nearby..preferences when it comes to buildings really just something new...I've lived my whole life in a house that's now nearly 100 years old and I've had enough of that, I want to step into a building each day that feels brand new.

thanks in advance for any advice

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:52 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadams View Post
So I'm making the move from edmonton sometime in August probably as my job in Calgary begins in September. I've already been out with a realtor looking at places but I figured there may be some useful opinions on here as to nice buildings, areas (yes I know...avoid northeast), etc...

I'm looking for a two bedroom condo in the $300,000-340,000 range. I work downtown but don't necessarily need to live close to work as long as there's easy c-train access or a direct bus route nearby..preferences when it comes to buildings really just something new...I've lived my whole life in a house that's now nearly 100 years old and I've had enough of that, I want to step into a building each day that feels brand new.

thanks in advance for any advice
In that budget, there are some great deals for condo conversions in 1960s era buildings all surrounding downtown. Look for buildings on Realtor.ca in neighbourhoods like:
- Bankview
- Lower Mount Royal
- Sunalta
- the Beltline
- Cliff Bungalow
- Mission (note that on realtor.ca the mission area is incorrectly labeled as "connaught")
- Sunnyside
- Crescent Heights
- Bridgeland.

All those nieghbourhoods have a large stock of these types of condos in your price range that have been converted in recent years (ie. newly refurbished) and are within walking distance of downtown - many are close to walkable main streets and lots of amenities.

For Example:

Lower Mount Royal - 2bdrm $289,000
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9385595

Beltline - 2bdrm $309,000
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9316567

Sunalta - 2bdrm $339,000
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9560042

Bankview - 2bdrm $299,000
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9360797

Sunnyside (Kensington area) 2bdrm $329,000
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9572196

Bridgeland - new building in The Bridges development - 2bdrm $299,000
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9554944

Good luck in your search. Hope you enjoy living in Calgary!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:13 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I'd swear some of the new buildings are still advertising 2 bedrooms in the $300k range, but I don't know if you can actually get anything for that price in them or if it's the usual developer false advertising.

1960s may feel new if you've been in a 100 year old house, or it may feel its age. If you really want new, Calgary has a lot of it, just not sure about prices.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:10 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

The Bankview listing Wooster linked to is about two blocks west of my house. acadmans, you really should consider one of these conversions; great price points and in the case of the Westmore that is near me, it has concrete floors AND party walls. Very solid and a nice reno cosmetically too.

Oh, and welcome to Calgary!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 4:10 PM
Editor

Welcome to Cowtown acadmas! Just so you know when you move to Calgary it's proper protocol to declare allegiance to the Flames

Wooster pretty much summed up all the good info. I just wanted to mention that around the core and within walking distance of downtown, there are plenty of reasonable deals on condos, especially older ones, that are say...20 - 30 years old. Many of those have been refurbished and are good solid concrete buildings.

Here are a couple that are brand new buildings, in an nice little up and coming area. They're a little above the price range, but of course it's always best offer with real estate.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9461984

I like the view in this one.
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=9385517

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Jun 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:44 PM
Here and There

move to connaght. I just purchased there and I love it. The pricing right now is very good as well. I purchased a 2 bedroom in a concrete building with 1000 sq feet for a very reasonable price..... it needed some updates. The updates are down and I love it. It was much better than cramming myself into a brand new condo with 500sq ft for the same price! There are plenty of young buyers in my nighborhood as well.

So happy in my building.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:46 PM
Here and There

also, try to picture your Furniture in the space. you dont want a 52 inch tv blocking your windows or view!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 8:06 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
move to connaght. I just purchased there and I love it. The pricing right now is very good as well. I purchased a 2 bedroom in a concrete building with 1000 sq feet for a very reasonable price..... it needed some updates. The updates are down and I love it. It was much better than cramming myself into a brand new condo with 500sq ft for the same price! There are plenty of young buyers in my nighborhood as well.

So happy in my building.
You mean you bought in The Beltline.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 5:25 AM
dvdktn

If you want a brand new building near the C-train, Westgate park probably has some of the nicest views of the city and will be a really quick walk away from the new west LRT line in Dec 2012. Bridgeland also has some really nice newer condos. Sunnyside is really nice as well, but on the pricey side if you're looking for a newer building.

Westgate Park

Bridgeland

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 6:18 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Welcome to Cowtown acadmas! Just so you know when you move to Calgary it's proper protocol to declare allegiance to the Flames
Don't listen to a word he says!! I've been here since 1997 and am still a diehard Oilers fan, as are many others.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 8:39 PM

Hi acadams,

What areas in Edmonton do you prefer? Perhaps we can give you an idea of areas in Calgary that are similar to your tastes.

s.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 10:23 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for all the responses. I was in town last weekend and definitely kept what you said in mind while out with the realtor.

The property that caught my eye the most was this one:
http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetail...ertyID=9567976

any comments on area, developer, etc..?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 11:02 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks for all the responses. I was in town last weekend and definitely kept what you said in mind while out with the realtor.

The property that caught my eye the most was this one:
http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetail...ertyID=9567976

any comments on area, developer, etc..?
It's a good option. Bankview is an interesting neighbourhood. This is walking distance to 17th avenue, but a bit of a hike to really get to the heart of the street.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 2:56 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

It's up the hill from me- I dunno, it's wood-frame so if you're not on the top floor I'd worry about sound. But the views from up there have to be superb.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
It's a good option. Bankview is an interesting neighbourhood. This is walking distance to 17th avenue, but a bit of a hike to really get to the heart of the street.
haha interesting in what way?

and to whoever asked which area of edmonton I like...I've never actually lived there, but I really like the feel of the Riverdale area

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 1:38 AM
Round Head

Quote:
haha interesting in what way?

and to whoever asked which area of edmonton I like...I've never actually lived there, but I really like the feel of the Riverdale area
I find it interesting because of the cool topography and very eclectic mix of housing. The only downside in my opinion is the slightly longer distance to really healthy main street stretches by foot.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 6:45 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I find it interesting because of the cool topography and very eclectic mix of housing. The only downside in my opinion is the slightly longer distance to really healthy main street stretches by foot.
Depends on where in Bankview- we live near 19th Ave and 14A St and there is a ton of healthy street minutes from my front door. But yeah, from Providence it's more of a hike but not too bad.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 8:21 AM

if anyone is wondering this is the property I ended up buying
http://homesite.obeo.com/viewer/defa...?tourid=618356

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Oooo, the UFO tower. Me likes. Very easy walk to work and you can hop on the LRT for free if you're lazy or if it's crappy weather.

Hope you got a good price. You might find that end of downtown a bit lacking in retail options, but there's a ton of stuff within a short walk (and again, there's always the train). You're very close to the river too.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
if anyone is wondering this is the property I ended up buying
http://homesite.obeo.com/viewer/defa...?tourid=618356
Nice! a good central location, you must get some sweet views from that place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation