HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:36 AM
Busy Beaver

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:36 AM
ARTchitecture

That is without a doubt the most heart warmingly sweet photo of a dangerous animal in public ever

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 12:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

For the second time this summer, a walrus has been spotted near St. John's. This most recent one was actually in the Narrows, so right in the city.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...PFHMY.facebook

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:57 AM
Fake News

So I was there when this bullshit went down. For context this happened at Calgary's new South Health campus which is on the fringe of the city this morning. The cougar likely came up from the river a couple kms south of it. My neighbourhood is north of the hospital (opposite side of where this was taken. The cops had the entire south area of the building cordoned off and it's nothing but undeveloped fields further south. The Fish and Wildlife officers supposedly determined that the cat was too agitated to tranq and chose instead to kill it. This is garbage, because the cat was completely docile, lounging in the grass for 3 hours. I also don't buy their excuse of tranquilizer not working since they seem to do fine tranquilizing lions and such in Africa as well as much bigger game. They use the danger to the public excuse but the only other people even remotely near the cougar were cops 100 yards away with assault rifles. Everything about this operation was lazy and botched. Watch and judge for yourself.

Video Link

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 19, 2014 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 2:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 2:52 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The more I replay it in my mind the angrier I get. I hope this costs someone their job. I would argue the higher ups who never even set foot on the scene but authorized this should be responsible too. It took fish and wildlife like 3 hours to arrive. They had plenty of time to come prepared with cages and net guns.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 2:53 AM

One of the unusual occasion you will see fresh cougar meat.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 3:29 PM

Yeah they should have tranquilized and relocated it for sure, killing it seems a bit excessive as it was being fairly docile.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 4:12 PM
Moran supreme

Good to see that there's people in these forums who are experts in how to handle such situations - I wonder how many of these experts have ever been in a similar situation much less even handled a firearm.

All I know is that I was not there and as such, don't have any reason to comment one way or another on how the situation was handled. Is it unfortunate the cougar lost it's life - yes. Could the outcome been different - difficult to say. Certainly I don't have the expertise/knowledge combined with the on-site situation experience to be commenting here and now. Sure glad to see others do though.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:47 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Good to see that there's people in these forums who are experts in how to handle such situations - I wonder how many of these experts have ever been in a similar situation much less even handled a firearm.

All I know is that I was not there and as such, don't have any reason to comment one way or another on how the situation was handled. Is it unfortunate the cougar lost it's life - yes. Could the outcome been different - difficult to say. Certainly I don't have the expertise/knowledge combined with the on-site situation experience to be commenting here and now. Sure glad to see others do though.
Well I was there and watched the cougar for over an hour before they shot it. If laying in tall grass occasionally looking up at a helicopter as it flew by was 'agitated' behaviour like F&W claims, then I guess they must be really mellow when they hunt.

Also the excuse of it being a danger to bystanders makes no sense as there were no people besides heavily armed cops anywhere near it. Everyone was restricted to the second floor and up on that side of the hospital and the roads in were closed. If the animal had bolted the only direction it could go was south into undeveloped, unpopulated land.

My take on it is that a higher up took one look at where the cougar was (hospital: oh no pregnant ladies, children, old people!) and issued the order to kill it. They didn't assess the conditions on the ground at all. They showed up lock stock and 2 smoking barrels ready to kill it. Claiming they wanted to try and save it is a lie.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:10 AM
ARTchitecture

So there's this... thanks to the incredible nature that is Fish Creek Provincial Park, fully within our municipal borders

Bobcat caught snoozing in Calgary backyard

Quote:
It was a beautiful day again in Calgary, and it seems it's not just residents who were taking a moment to relax in the backyard.

A Calgary couple was lucky enough to snap some pictures of a bobcat that decided to take a snooze in the shade near Fish Creek Provincial Park on Sunday.

Officials at Alberta Fish and Wildlife were alerted, but did not interfere with the animal's beauty sleep.

Bobcats are known to wander through Calgary neighbourhoods from time to time. Fish and Wildlife says the animals are not dangerous, but will be removed if the situation warrants.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...yard-1.3177482

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Well I was there and watched the cougar for over an hour before they shot it. If laying in tall grass occasionally looking up at a helicopter as it flew by was 'agitated' behaviour like F&W claims, then I guess they must be really mellow when they hunt.
That is how cats hunt though. They lie stealthily in wait.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 4:55 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
That is how cats hunt though. They lie stealthily in wait.
It wasn't hunting it was hiding. In any case I'm glad that the outcome for that bobcat was much more pleasant.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 8:00 PM
bro

Behind my apartment in downtown London:

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Behind my apartment in downtown London:

Osprey?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:53 PM
More transit please

So... A caiman was captured in Hochelaga yesterday night

http://www.cbc.ca/polopoly_fs/1.3195...iman-found.JPG

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 4:58 PM

2 wolves hunt a deer in the town of Banff on Cougar Street. Must piss off the Courgars since they never go to Wolf Street.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...banff-townsite

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the CBC website:

A snowy owl prepares to land on a highway cam tower on the A-40 just west of Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Osprey?
No it's a hawk. Osprey have all white heads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada