HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:32 PM

o.t.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
o.t.
I think that the discussion of Condo vs. Apartment is relevant to this 111 property as it was originally designed as a tall condo development that has now shrunk to a very generic apartment tower. The developer had made the decision(or perhaps the buyers made that decision for them) to not proceed with a Condo development for financial reasons. Apartment developments in general are downscaled when it comes to amenities as apartment dwellers will find other outlets for their needs and having all of them on the property is not worth additional rent costs. This original tower was designed with extraordinary finishes and amenities to compete with the best at the time and the hotel would have been a bright star for Chicago. I believe that because of this shift in use it had it's top knocked off and scaled back to be just another apartment 'complex'. It is the location that is driving the rent rates and that is about it. There is nothing extraordinary here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 8:49 PM

April 8

April 10

April 11

April 18

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 1:34 AM

Nice pics as always Harry, i really like that 2nd one. something about black and white always captures the the moment so nicely.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Wow it really does look like jello. And that awful convex crap at the bottom. Related is the worst.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Wow it really does look like jello. And that awful convex crap at the bottom. Related is the worst.
Whoever it was that said that glass has more distortions in it before the building is fully enclosed and conditioned is correct according to the manufacturers at Viracon (our office is having this issue with a new curtainwall in China). So hopefully it will flatten out a little when the building is completed and occupied.

Can anyone tell if this happened at 500 N Lakeshore?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:59 AM

nvm

Last edited by jc5680; Apr 21, 2014 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Nice pics as always Harry, i really like that 2nd one. something about black and white always captures the the moment so nicely.

Seconded. Beautiful shots, Harry. Thank you!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:58 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-arch View Post
I think that the discussion of Condo vs. Apartment is relevant to this 111 property as it was originally designed as a tall condo development that has now shrunk to a very generic apartment tower. The developer had made the decision(or perhaps the buyers made that decision for them) to not proceed with a Condo development for financial reasons. Apartment developments in general are downscaled when it comes to amenities as apartment dwellers will find other outlets for their needs and having all of them on the property is not worth additional rent costs. This original tower was designed with extraordinary finishes and amenities to compete with the best at the time and the hotel would have been a bright star for Chicago. I believe that because of this shift in use it had it's top knocked off and scaled back to be just another apartment 'complex'. It is the location that is driving the rent rates and that is about it. There is nothing extraordinary here.
So, it's actually definitely not as true as it used to be that the amenities at larger new construction rental buildings have fewer/downscaled amenities as condo towers (actually, to be completely fair I suppose, will have to wait until large new luxury condo towers begin to be delivered this cycle - to see what if any changes there!). But, certainly, at the brand new downtown apartment towers, the number/level of amenties is much greater than was the case previously in post-mid twentieth century/even into first decade of 21st century. What is true I think is that apartment unit sizes are shifting downward, at the same time that common areas and amenities are being emphasized much more. Presently for many rental buildings they are similar to - or even better than - what you would have found at most larger downtown condo towers in the 2000-2010 period.

Now, with that stated, of course you will have some condo buildings last decade - and presumably and prospectively some in the 2017-2020 period at the top of the market that are truly 'luxurious' and have more/better quality etc amenities than the prime apartment towers. Those could potentially be the exception however.

Perhaps those with the most outstanding common area amenity level will be in condo towers that share space with luxury hotels - that only makes sense, to piggy-back off of some of the services or even facilities that such a hotel would offer.

And, back specifically to 111 W Wacker. I'm sorry, but the old Waterview tower was just tall. The design was almost a little 'hokey'......it just never really cut it. the Handel-designed Related building - while by no means a stunning architectural addition (and I too would prefer it 10-15 stories taller), is definitely a more competent oeverall design than Waterview ever was.....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 5:25 PM

4/23

4/25

Nice bit of protection from the inevitable falling ice.

4/25

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:57 PM

I liked this view when I saw it today.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 3:11 AM

May 2nd

May 6th

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 5:16 AM

are those columns at the base of the cutout going to be clad a la trump or left bare concrete? not sure what would look better. i just hope they don't paint them white.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 5:27 AM
Come As You Are

They're definitely being clad with something.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 5:34 AM

^ Unless they screwed up, like they screwed up other details before. After all, the crane and other construction machinery is gone, so maybe now they have no choice but to paint them? Or maybe a couple dudes and a stepladder will be enough to clad them.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 12:06 PM
The City

Everything looks good with Marina City in the foreground..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 11:01 PM
BANNED

I passed by recently to see the East column being clad with some kind of grey stone panels. It's not beige precast at least..

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:01 PM

May 22

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 3:08 PM

Man, that last shot....

wonderful.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 4:13 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive