HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:04 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Agreed, these shots are looking good. Nice to see the developments in Birmingham actually developing. And I'm still amazed by how grand the Children's Hospital looks

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

World of Beer

Tampa based World of Beer plans Alabama's first location. Interesting concept.

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2012...five_poin.html

Quote:
World of Beer bar in Five Points South gets Birmingham's Design Review Committee approval

Published: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 5:30 AM
Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 5:53 AM

By Roy L. Williams -- The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- The proposed World of Beer bar in Five Points South, whose initial plans won approval from Birmingham's Design Review Committee on Wednesday, could help spur a revitalization of the area's Pickwick Plaza retail and restaurant center, officials said

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Btw, and I'm surprised no one has said anything about this, but ALDOT announced that their currently designing the replacement of the downtown 20/59 viaduct. They expect to bid the project out in late summer and hope to start construction later this year.

Unfortunately, they plan to simply replace the deck of the overpasses instead of burying the interstate.

It's sad that we're settling, but let's face it, we were never going to have the money or political will to get it done. However, I'm hopeful that since they're only doing what is necessary right now that it won't cost too much and years down the road we can look at a more viable solution.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:55 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Btw, and I'm surprised no one has said anything about this, but ALDOT announced that their currently designing the replacement of the downtown 20/59 viaduct. They expect to bid the project out in late summer and hope to start construction later this year.

Unfortunately, they plan to simply replace the deck of the overpasses instead of burying the interstate.

It's sad that we're settling, but let's face it, we were never going to have the money or political will to get it done. However, I'm hopeful that since they're only doing what is necessary right now that it won't cost too much and years down the road we can look at a more viable solution.
That is disappointing

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 1:29 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Hadn't heard anything about it. That is disappointing.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 1:59 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Great article About the Railroad Park and downtown developments.

http://http://urbanland.uli.org/Arti...FrenchRailroad

Urbanland.uli.org
Playing along the Railroad Tracks

by Will French
May 8, 2012

A river of steel delivers new life to Birmingham, Alabama.
Birmingham’s Railroad Park opened in 2010 along the rail line that was built in the late 1800s, during the city’s industrial heyday. For decades, waterfronts have served as a catalyst for revitalization in downtowns across the continent. From Chattanooga, Tennessee, to Vancouver, British Columbia, the promise of developing public areas near these attractive settings has proved successful. But what about cities that are not located on a river, a lake, or an ocean? Where does revitalization start for them?
Birmingham, Alabama, has taken a unique approach to redevelop its core. Using the industry on which the city was built and its abundant natural resources, the city has developed Railroad Park, a 19-acre (7.7 ha) greenway connecting downtown Birmingham with the region’s major employer and one of the nation’s leading research institutions, the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). In short, Birmingham is using its past to build its future.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 9:51 PM

Hi, first-time poster here. The other day I took some pics of recently-constructed and under-construction projects around the city. Of course these aren't all of them, but these are just most of the ones that I like. Seems like similar pics have already been posted recently but oh well.

Starting in my suburb of Bham, this is SoHo, a mixed-use development built along with a new city hall. I've never looked into it myself but from what I've heard, the condos are expensive. I'd really like to see more mid-range (and even some lower-range) condos/apts in downtown Homewood, but I guess that's what they're working on now.

Another pic of the development. I like the design a lot. City Hall is in the center there.
It's in a suburb but actually very near the downtown core so I think it's a very positive thing for the city.

Hallman Hill, a mixed-use project on a neighboring block. I like it. Upscale townhomes and condos. In the center there is an open space which won a national architecture award in Las Vegas for "Best New Open Space" or something.

The other part of Hallman Hill (with all of the retail spaces now occupied) and the neighboring new Aloft Hotel. The Aloft Hotel is well-designed stuff but I don't really like the architecture. Ah well.

Across the street is the under-construction "The Hill" mixed-use project, being built by the same developer. Very good layout, (although the aesthetics don't seem to be first-rate). Aimed at young adults.

Now we're in Birmingham proper. This is 29Seven, a mixed-use project being built in a cool little district called Lakeview. You can see an article on the developer in the NYTimes here. Looking good, it gives the street a great new vibe. Looking forward to it.

Nice little student apartment development downtown near the new Railroad Park and ballpark. Presumably for UAB students.

Building the new Birmingham Barons ballpark. They're currently stationed in an outlying suburb but we wanted to bring them downtown to help spur growth in the area. Across the street from the new Railroad Park.

Some warehouse next to Railroad Park. The parking lot in front of me is scheduled to be developed into some supposedly-exciting mixed-use project which will be taking up the whole block. Currently they're looking at architects for it, but it has been confirmed that it will be built.

A recently-opened (and good!) brewery adjacent to Railroad Park. Also, sorry for not taking pictures of Railroad Park but...I just didn't think they'd be very interesting. ~10 acres. It's a finalist for an Urban Land Institute competition for best new park in the country so that's cool I guess.

Cityville Block 121. Good mixed-use project right in the heart of downtown.

Liv on 5th. Same thing, essentially. About a mile away I guess.

Good little mixed-use in the same district. Actually it's surprisingly big but segmented over different lots along the block.

New hotel across the street.

Pepper Place, a renovation of ~2 very large blocks in the Lakeview District. Formerly a Dr. Pepper bottling factory and some other industrial uses. Pretty cool I guess. Not a new development but a recent renovation of a historic group of buildings. I'd like to see it go taller, though. Not enough multi-story buildings among it to give it a good urban vibe and too much damn parking.

It may be a hip new city-dweller locale, but southern identity is still strong in Pepper Place, as shown by the organic grits served in this cafe. Good to know, local identity is vital for a city.

That wraps it up. Thanks for following along with my city's revitalization efforts.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 10:13 PM

Took a few shots today. This is the Westin Hotel and adjoining entertainment "district" (restaurants, shops, etc.). Seems pretty cool.

That smaller building next to it seems new but I don't know what it is.

Impressive looking.

With the little surrounding buildings

From the other side, another little building.

I like having another good hotel downtown, but I must confess that I'd prefer that the adjoining buildings weren't just one-story. That's not really good for an urban area. Oh well.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 8:01 PM

Thumbs up Most Exciting Dev. Rumor for Bham in a While

A comment on Jeremy Erdreich's blog (constructbirmingham.wordpress.com):
"From an inside source, the new owner is looking at the Brown Marx building for condos and is currently in design/budget phase. Not sure of the architect but the engineering is being done locally. No word on whether there will be any 1st floor commercial space (one would hope!)."

Does anyone happen to know who owns the building? I think that my mother said it's some wealthy family around Bham and that she works with one of them, but she might have been talking about a different Heaviest Corner building or maybe even Leer Tower.

As you can see, it's a massive building and its age (1903) grants it special historic status for us here. If it's true, this is the most exciting development news for Birmingham in several years!

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Thank God. I've been waiting to see that building be taken care of.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:13 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Great pics bhammer. Thanks for sharing and for posting in the bhm thread. It's exciting to hear from a new member.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:20 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammer View Post

Across the street is the under-construction "The Hill" mixed-use project, being built by the same developer. Very good layout, (although the aesthetics don't seem to be first-rate).
I'm going to reserve judgement until I see some finishes.
They've certainly come a long way since I saw it last.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:26 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammer View Post

That smaller building next to it seems new but I don't know what it is.
That would be the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Headquarters. They do a great job of putting their name on the street...

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:48 AM

Of course. So far it doesn't *look* very good, but the form is great.
-4 stories so good density
-mixed uses
-price range that's in demand
-built right up to the sidewalk, no big ugly parking lot out front and it's not on some massive busy road
-very walkable (for alabama) neighborhood, and this development makes it more so
-close to 5-points
It's a lot better than subdivision crap by the side of 280.
This particular building isn't the best-looking but I can't wait for more like this, this is what Birmingham needs for urban revitalization. I think that a lot of it is just cultural; if people see that urban settings can be great and sprawled subdivisions are really lacking something, then it opens eyes and makes city life more attractive. They'll slowly start moving back into town and the developers/businesses will follow the demand.
A good urban core is essential to a good metro area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 7:14 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...re-of-the.html

So, a nice building downtown (18th Street N) has received new owners and they're looking to fill it right up but keep the history intact. Here's the building:

Constructed in 1913 so a ripe old age. I wish that I could find a good shot from the corner because the side of the building is very nice-looking and gives it a good, robust character. Lots of windows overlooking a cobblestone alley, it's very Birmingham. Also I know that we in Birmingham sometimes get tired of the city overspending a little on civil rights stuff, but here I'm very glad to see that a group of black businessmen have purchased this building and intend to build add to the black community here and the city as whole with a nice urban development. Kudos to them and I hope it works out.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...t-to-take.html

And here we see that 29Seven's commercial space is filling up incredibly fast! This looks good and I hope it spurs the developer to do more of the same because these kind of mixed-use builidngs are really the best way to revitalize a city and keep it thriving long-term.

Quote:
“We’re completely confident it’s going to be a catalyst for more mixed-use development in the area,” Jolly said.
One multifamily project in the area – the $35 million, 247-unit complex on Clairmont Avenue overlooking the Highland Park Golf Course’s 12th hole – could be under construction soon, according to its developers.
David Oakley, who heads the Birmingham office of multifamily firm Hendricks & Partners, said he expected the units to be 100 percent preleased by August.
The development’s walk-about concept is growing in popularity as local gas prices and employment levels rise, he said. And flat-screen televisions in every unit can’t hurt.
“The growth of that area – all that’s going on down there – is going to be a big hit, especially among the younger people,” Oakley said.
That demographic, he said, is looking to live near entertainment.
This is all good news. I had never heard of this big condo project but it sounds great. Did you guys know about it?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 10:46 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...-renovate.html

I can't copypaste it because it's "premium content," I think, but in short, a nonprofit formed early this month to buy and renovate the Leer Tower in downtown Birmingham. If you've been by that area all the buildings are old and beautiful. Due to some sources I have, I have full faith in this project. Basically they'll take donations for renovating it. For 20 stories, $1.5 mil is incredibly cheap. Then another $1mil for asbestos renovation, I think in total it will cost about $20 mil, but there are many many tax incentives to keep costs down and with donation funding it's really only a matter of time I estimate it will be a year before they raise enough money to fully renovate it.

In other news, if you head over to jeremy Erdreich's blog, you'll see that the Avondale district is kind of booming with new momentum. He mentions a "beer renaissance" happening in the city, and I guess he's right seeing as we have about 4 or 5 new breweries/specialty beer stores/brewpubs in the works

Now that he feels the 2nd Ave N has been healthily revived, he'll be moving onto another block which he feels he can help. Good stuff and I really love that area. Cheers.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 3:30 PM
America's Mars Rocket

There are some really nice quality projects taking place in Birmingham. A bit under the radar but when all of this stuff is finished, (ballpark, Westin, etc)
everyone will be impressed and surprised.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
There are some really nice quality projects taking place in Birmingham. A bit under the radar but when all of this stuff is finished, (ballpark, Westin, etc)
everyone will be impressed and surprised.
Agree with your impression. I think the two big hotspots of activity are BJCC/Westin area and UAB/Railroad Park area.

With respect to the UAB area, although the Board of Trustees at Alabama has temporarily declined to vote on the proposed UAB oncampus stadium, UAB is still doing some exciting things.

Some UAB projects on the horizon:

1) In the near future, UAB will begin looking to grow the residential population of the community in the area between Bartow Arena/Jefferson County Health Dept. and the Railroad Park/Regions Field. This will really help build up the population base in the area and help incentivize commercial development to meet the needs of the UAB students, Regions Field patrons, and visitors of Railroad Park.

2) UAB is looking to soon start up a campus transportation system which will allow for more efficient travel on the UAB campus. They plan to equip the UAB transportation system with GPS trackers that will allow students to download an app where they can (in real-time) see where buses are and when they are scheduled to arrive at their stop.

3) UAB is also looking to invest a great deal of money and effort into developing a greenway system extending from the current UAB Campus Green on northward to meet up with the Railroad Park and be incorporated into the new residential development in-between.

UAB will likely be granted approval for the oncampus football stadium which will be located just south and west of Region Field. It is likely only a matter of time as the political pressure mounts on the Board of Trustees. All of these developments will really act synergistically to really change the entire environment of that stretch of midtown Birmingham.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:01 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
Agree with your impression. I think the two big hotspots of activity are BJCC/Westin area and UAB/Railroad Park area.

With respect to the UAB area, although the Board of Trustees at Alabama has temporarily declined to vote on the proposed UAB oncampus stadium, UAB is still doing some exciting things.

Some UAB projects on the horizon:

1) In the near future, UAB will begin looking to grow the residential population of the community in the area between Bartow Arena/Jefferson County Health Dept. and the Railroad Park/Regions Field. This will really help build up the population base in the area and help incentivize commercial development to meet the needs of the UAB students, Regions Field patrons, and visitors of Railroad Park.

2) UAB is looking to soon start up a campus transportation system which will allow for more efficient travel on the UAB campus. They plan to equip the UAB transportation system with GPS trackers that will allow students to download an app where they can (in real-time) see where buses are and when they are scheduled to arrive at their stop.

3) UAB is also looking to invest a great deal of money and effort into developing a greenway system extending from the current UAB Campus Green on northward to meet up with the Railroad Park and be incorporated into the new residential development in-between.

UAB will likely be granted approval for the oncampus football stadium which will be located just south and west of Region Field. It is likely only a matter of time as the political pressure mounts on the Board of Trustees. All of these developments will really act synergistically to really change the entire environment of that stretch of midtown Birmingham.
Yeah, I'm really anticipating the development of that general area (around Railroad Park/Region Field).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 1:31 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Supercool!

tjtower.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast