HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see some hotels around the city center closing because of low occupancy rates due to over saturation.
It would be interesting to know the distribution of vacancies within the metro area. Off hand I would guess some of the hotels that had been serving gas-related folks might be hardest hit, and I wonder if the newer core properties might also be taking business from some of the older and/or more peripheral places, but all that is just supposition on my part.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 10:15 PM

PIT was named Airport of the Year by Air Transport World Magazine:

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/newsroo...-transport-wor

Quote:
In selecting Pittsburgh International Airport, ATW cited the rapid ascent in air service gains as well as increased community engagement. Pittsburgh International serves 68 nonstop destinations, a 75 percent increase over the 37 destinations available in 2014. The airport has seen multiple new carriers enter the market including Condor, WOW, Allegiant, Frontier, OneJet, Porter, and Southern Airways, as well as additions from Southwest, Delta and JetBlue. The airport just finished its busiest year since 2008 with more than 8.3 million passengers, posting a third straight year of gains after more than a decade of decline. The airport and its Board of Directors have also spearheaded a community coalition to support air service that includes business and tourism organizations, elected officials at the county, state and local levels, foundations, and colleges and universities.
I'm not familiar with the publication, but it certainly sounds good. And no doubt the current administration is hustling.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 10:46 PM
Ex Houstonian

IMG_0745 by photolitherland, on Flickr
The first steel went up today at Arsenal in Lville

Some strip stuff

IMG_0741 by photolitherland, on Flickr
The Yards parking garage is done and as far as parking garages go, its not 100 percent atrocious.

IMG_0740 by photolitherland, on Flickr

IMG_0738 by photolitherland, on Flickr

IMG_0737 by photolitherland, on Flickr
AC Hotel

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 11:37 PM
BANNED

I still can't get used to that god-awful burnt orange color on the 3 Crossings apartment project.

I've noticed it a lot in recent paint jobs around Pittsburgh (on buildings new and old). I don't get it at all.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The first Historic Review Commission presentation of the year is up.

There's a pretty in depth modification of two buildings by Bedford Square in South Side. They are attempting to restore one of the buildings, and essentially completely reconstruct the other "non-historic" building, adding a third floor to it as well. I'm not sure how the HRC will feel about that - my understanding is all you can typically do is replace like for like or fix up a building - you can't just declare a building too far gone to bother redoing in a historic style.

There's also a proposed window replacement at the historic Station Square building where Grand Concourse is located. It doesn't look like it will affect the look of the building much at all, but very little information is given.

Most interestingly, there's more information about "Moe's Landing." The design is still almost as ridiculous, but the white third story now looks to have turned dark gray. There's also information about the history of the existing "Moe's building" which is actually quite interesting.

There's also a few other things of interest, like a planned rehab of Crawford Hall by Pitt.
The Station Square window replacement project is about three quarters finished. Nothing yet done on the west facade. The river and Smithfield Street Bridge facades are done but for some missing mullion strips. Wonder why the Historic Review Commission would only take it up now?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:01 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
I still can't get used to that god-awful burnt orange color on the 3 Crossings apartment project.

I've noticed it a lot in recent paint jobs around Pittsburgh (on buildings new and old). I don't get it at all.
Its pretty god awful horrible and I doubt anyone likes it so I don't know why they keep applying horrible garish colors to many new developments in Pittsburgh. At least the Arsenal development, which is at a much more prominent location looks like it has nice colors, just hope to god it doesn't have any corrugated metal covering it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:13 AM

It always amuses me to see how fast projects like Three Crossings and Arsenal 201 move along, while the Steelers and Penguins argue it just isn't possible to build apartments in this City . . . .

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:51 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It always amuses me to see how fast projects like Three Crossings and Arsenal 201 move along, while the Steelers and Penguins argue it just isn't possible to build apartments in this City . . . .
People like us who are tuned in to local development can see right through to their motives of land banking and/or collecting tons of parking revenue.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:52 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

Preach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Its pretty god awful horrible and I doubt anyone likes it so I don't know why they keep applying horrible garish colors to many new developments in Pittsburgh. At least the Arsenal development, which is at a much more prominent location looks like it has nice colors, just hope to god it doesn't have any corrugated metal covering it.
I found the perfect dream home for you Lith.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:59 AM
World Class City

I like the rust color and find it very complimentary to contextual materials used in our region such as brick and core 10 not to mention complimentary to the autumn hues we enjoy in our region as well. Here is some insight into orange: http://www.empower-yourself-with-col...or-orange.html

I think we need to embrace a diversity of color in our materials as opposed to neutrals if we want to be considered a vibrant city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
I like the rust color and find it very complimentary to contextual materials used in our region such as brick and core 10 not to mention complimentary to the autumn hues we enjoy in our region as well. Here is some insight into orange: http://www.empower-yourself-with-col...or-orange.html

I think we need to embrace a diversity of color in our materials as opposed to neutrals if we want to be considered a vibrant city.
I like color, and I'm all for adding more color to Pittsburgh's otherwise muted palette. But that Texas Longhorn burnt orange is just a crappy color for exterior building panels and a poor choice to paint old brick... and I'm totally not okay with its proliferation around town these days. It seems to be contagious. It must be stopped. I blame that goddamn pumpkin spice.

Even the old Ralph Meyer sheet metal works has met the same sad fate:

Why?!?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523 View Post
Another Strip related note - I thought the AUDI dealer got squashed, but the news had a story the other day that they were breaking ground and set to open this year. I don't really care because I believe it was set to be on the SE side of Liberty and it can use all the help it can get...but does anyone know if that was correct? Wouldn't be the first time the local news was behind the times on development news.
I'd never heard that it was squashed, but I had noticed that it seemed delayed. I had thought it was originally supposed to open last year but there was no movement at all. Anyway, I mean to wander over there today to see what they are doing, if anything. KDKA had a little blurb the other night about how they broke ground and showed Rob Cochran throwing a shovel full of dirt. Still in the same location, I believe, right here.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 11:17 AM

I will second (or third or fourth...) the awfulness that is the orange scourge. Especially in the Strip, which I see daily.

Edit: Not Trump.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 11:44 AM

I like orange, but to me it is supposed to be a happy, fun, bold color. So if you are going to do orange, really do orange!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:04 PM

The hotel project behind the PAA is getting ready to break ground:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201701260061

Apparently it is also now going to be an Autograph Collection Hotel, a luxury Marriott brand, which is another nice new addition for Pittsburgh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogr...lection_Hotels

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:26 PM

Cool article about neighborhood welcoming signs, including many by James Simon, who is awesome:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/featur...welcome-signs/

Braddock has not just one but two great signs--including an excellent use of orange!

Last edited by BrianTH; Jan 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 1:29 PM

This article uses the strong leasing record at Tower Two-Sixty to suggest spec building is viable in Pittsburgh:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...market-square/

I'm not sure anyone will finance a new spec tower Downtown right now, but it seems other locations are potentially viable.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I think bright colors can work great in colder climates to help liven up the place in winter. Copenhagen is famous for it, for example.

Quote:
I like color, and I'm all for adding more color to Pittsburgh's otherwise muted palette. But that Texas Longhorn burnt orange is just a crappy color for exterior building panels and a poor choice to paint old brick... and I'm totally not okay with its proliferation around town these days. It seems to be contagious. It must be stopped. I blame that goddamn pumpkin spice.
It's not just buildings. When you see an orange car, it's likely that color. I even saw a dryer in that shade a few years back. It's become the socially acceptable shade of orange for whatever reason. It always looks more creamsicle than burnt to me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The hotel project behind the PAA is getting ready to break ground:
I saw yearsterday the building permits for the ARC house hotel (can't remember the brand) in East Deutschtown have been issued, so presumably ground is going to break there soon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:44 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think bright colors can work great in colder climates to help liven up the place in winter. Copenhagen is famous for it, for example.
Copenhagen has some of the coolest infill in the world. I have been amazed by forumer Freki's high res photo threads of the city. Talk about a city that has a very old, classic core but a huge amount of extremely modern and well done infill... Other cities that have done just as well are Rotterdam, Dusselfdorf, Hamburg, Berlin & Oslo.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:50 PM

New zoning report. A few interesting projects.

1. Four new infill rowhouses in Central Northside. Pretty far up too - on West Jefferson Street. The blighted corners of the neighborhood have been pretty quickly filling up in recent years. I only hope the design is decent - some of the early infill in the North Side was really great, but lately it has been slipping in quality.

2. The Carnegie Library in Carrick is slated to be reconstructed.

3. A new five-story, 36-unit apartment building is slated to be built on Miller Street in the Lower Hill. There's plenty of open space for sure - it's one of the last mostly blighted areas around there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations